Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2015, 09:45 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Considering GR_Advice Needed

I am considering spending some of the bonus money on a Ricoh GR. I already have a Pentax kII, k-01, and mx-1. I would sell the MX-1 to help fund this purchase. My problem is that my work schedule is so hectic, I hardly have time to shoot anymore, and lugging my gear around "just in case" is not practical. I rarely use my KII or k-01, except on the odd occasion the wife and kid leave town and I don't have to work. The Mx-1 has been good to me, although I am never quite satisfied with its images and have not been happy with noise, esp. in low light/sky. Also, the shutterlag is a disadvantage when taking family pics.

Basically, what I am looking for is something that will allow me to get DSLR quality landscape/city-scapes/street shots, but will also work for times when I am at the park with my little guy running around. Something that will let me get some shots while taking a stroll during lunch or after work and when playing with my kid.

I have read the reviews, which have noted poor low-light autofocus, but also that this can be overcome with snap focusing. The continuing focusing feature also seems like it would work well for family pics.

I have been lusting over the x100s all year, but I see the GR as more practical and easier to carry.

My worries are: 1) low light abilities; 2) the dust problem I keep reading about; 3) whether the controls will be comfortable (I had the Q for a while and found the layout to be too squeezed, resulting in me inadvertently hitting buttons); and 4) color rendition.

Any advice/feedback from current owners would be appreciated.

01-07-2015, 10:17 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
something that will allow me to get DSLR quality landscape/city-scapes/street shots, but will also work for times when I am at the park with my little guy running around.
GR is a wonderful little but powerful camera for landscape/city-scapes/street shots. with good light, iso under 400, you will get DSLR quality photos. The lens on GR is sharp, sharp, sharp!! event wide open at corners.
But beware the GR does not have SR, under low light you will have to push ISO higher, and you still see more color noise than K5 under same condition.

Control on GR is more than adequate, you just need some time to set them and remember them. after that, you will love the control.

I left my NEX-7 and Q7 at home, and carry GR in my bag to work.
01-07-2015, 12:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I had a GR for awhile and loved it for outdoor shooting. I didn't have any problem with dust whatsoever. The only thing I didn't like was it was poor for low light situations compared to my K5II. I do miss it for lanscape pics though.... Beautiful little camera for that
01-07-2015, 02:00 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Addressing each of the worries you listed:

1) low light abilities: I am very satisified with the GR's low light ability. The f2.8 lens is sharp wide open. Install the latest firmware because one of the updates improved low light AF. For street photography and action I almost always use snap focus regardless of light because it's so much faster than AF. Noise is manageable; I can use the GR for nighttime handheld street photography at ISO 12800 if I convert to B&W.

2) the dust problem I keep reading about: This is a risk with many retractable-lens compacts. I haven't had the issue with my GR (yet?). I stow the camera in a small belt pouch rather than a pocket filled with lint.

3) whether the controls will be comfortable: The GR controls are far superior to my prior compact, a Canon S95, and nearly as good as a full sized DSLR in most situations.

3a) The GR shutter button is large and easy to press. I usually compose with the rear screen and press the shutter with my index finger. If I want a lower angle or stealthy street photography, I hold the camera low and press the shutter with my thumb. Either shooting position can be done one-handed because the GR is small but not too small.

3b) The GR has several configurable buttons to provide quick access to the functions you use the most. It might take a while to figure out which configuration is good for you, but that time is well worth it.

4) color rendition: I am satisfied with the colors but I'm not very familiar with the SOOC jpegs. I originally tried jpg but found that I wanted the extra processing leeway of DNG files to boost shadows.

01-07-2015, 03:46 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you do a search for rx100 and dust or g1x and dust you'll see similar stories.
Ricoh is very good with firmware updates for this model. The current firmware 4.0 obviates some focusing concerns raised in earlier reviews.
The GR jpgs are accurate but this doesn't correlate with the current taste for colour saturation. You can set up the camera to boost jpg colours.
01-12-2015, 05:08 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Having a G.A.S. moment:

Well, sold the MX-1, about to pull the trigger on the GR on one of Adorama's package deals (prob go with the GV-1 VF option rather than the flash--although honestly, I would just rather get the camera and pay less), but now hesitating....

Last edited by pentaxian_tmb; 01-12-2015 at 05:40 PM.
01-12-2015, 11:43 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The GR is to cameras what the DA 15 is to lenses. It was unquestionably a minor extravagance but it's such a gorgeous thing.

01-13-2015, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #8
Forum Member

I hesitated for quite some time after I finally keyed in on how nice the GR might be. And then I waffled back and forth over pricing and deals, as even at the best of "deals" the GR is still very pricey. I finally pulled the trigger on a GV-1 combo before Christmas time (I have yet to use the viewfinder, but I like the idea of having it). Let me say, I do not regret it one bit at all. The GR is really a sweet little camera. If you enjoyed having an MX-1 (which I like as well) then I think you will love the GR. Yes, the fixed 28mm focal length can be limiting, but it can also be challenging, and many times it is perfect. The size is so nice, and I find myself taking this camera to places that I would never take my SLR...and that is what it is all about...being there with a camera. Oh yeah, it takes great pictures too.
01-20-2015, 10:30 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
I have been lusting over the x100s all year, but I see the GR as more practical and easier to carry.

My worries are: 1) low light abilities; 2) the dust problem I keep reading about; 3) whether the controls will be comfortable (I had the Q for a while and found the layout to be too squeezed, resulting in me inadvertently hitting buttons); and 4) color rendition.
I finally pulled the trigger on the GR in August, after months of mulling over the x100s and the GR. My main reasons for choosing the GR over the X100s where the size and the price. I wanted something truly compact. I have not been disappointed in the least, in fact I've barely used my K5 since. It's the perfect "carry everywhere" camera and fits nicely in my coat pocket or purse. I find that I actually don't miss the viewfinder as much as I thought I would.

To address some of your concerns:
1) Yes, the auto focus in low light is a little slow. I find the auto focus assist light helps considerably.
2) I have not noticed any dust issues with my GR.
3) The layout of the buttons doesn't bother me. Too some getting used to, but overall I'm comfortable with it and can't think of anything I would change. However, I'm a girl with small-ish hands.
4) I'm fairly happy with the colours out of the camera. Especially b&w. However with that said, I usually shoot raw and tweak in lightroom.

Overall the camera isn't perfect but I love it and do not hesitate to recommend it.
01-20-2015, 03:11 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses. Bullet bit; camera ordered. Just feels weird paying as much for a P&S as my DSLR body.
01-20-2015, 03:58 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Welcome to the list of GR owners. To feel less weird don't think of it as an expensive P&S; compare the GR price to a new DA21 lens and it's like buy an 18/2.8 lens, get an attached GR body for free.
01-20-2015, 05:18 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I am eagerly awaiting is arrival and hopes it will fulfill its intended role as: 1) a portable everyday shooter to provide me with more opportunities (and reasons) to shoot; 2) a "family moment" P&S; and 3) a quality landscape camera I can pack on biking and hiking trips.

I am sure I will post up once I have had time "to play with my camera" as my wife says.