Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2015, 07:06 PM   #1

Ricoh User Interface Observations

Hello Everyone, I am Mr Rutger. This is my first post. I have a Ricoh GR. It's a great camera. I have been using digital and analog photo cameras constantly for more than 13 years.

My Firmware version is 2.03. I will upgrade it soon. The issues mentioned here were not mentioned as being addressed in the Firmware update notes.

I have a few observations linked to the user interface. I do not mean to disrespect any of those who made the user interface. This camera is already a legendary camera... but it could easily be a mythical camera... I hope I won't be wasting the Ricoh team's time with my grievances but make them waste less of their time so they can focus on what they love to do: build incredible cameras!

1. Concerning the manual: the registration of functions to Fn1/Fn2/Effects button, as mentioned on page 107, the entries for JPEG > RAW and JPEG > RAW+ both mention supplementary information on page 50 (Setting a Still Image Format). Although the JPEG > RAW and JPEG > RAW+ custom assignments are mentioned in page 50, somebody forgot to mention that when you turn off the camera and then turn it on again, the image format reverts to the original setting (i.e. if I had the camera set to L and changed it to RAW with the button, when I used the camera the next time it was back to L). I do not consider this a major problem in itself, but not mentioning it in the manual is a major misfortune... and it's also a bit illogical because it assumes you either won't need/want to make RAW pictures (if JPEG is default) after you turn off the camera or that you always expect the camera to start up to a setting unrelated to your last selection. Of course having a menu option like Reset Quick Image Type On Restart On/Off would solve the problem.

2. Adjusting exposure compensation changes the whole user interface. Why wouldn't the exposure compensation just change the value on the bottom row of the screen? Or, couldn't I just choose (by menu) if I want the "changed" interface (the current one, with the histogram etc.) or one similar to how aperture&shutter time change? Anyhow, I don't like my interface disappearing when changing something so basic as exposure compensation and I don't like/need/want histograms either

3. Exposure compensation buttons reset metering value in M mode. While this is documented in the user manual, it's irrational. They should either do nothing or adjust ISO (see points 4 and 5).

4. I should be able to disable exposure compensation buttons - this is a classic, even if I didn't have any problems.

5. I should be able to change the function of the exposure compensation buttons to (for example) ISO or flash exposure compensation or anything the Adj. dial can also modify...

6. Snap focus distance (page 52) can be changed by pressing the macro button and rotating the front dial. This is not clear in the manual - it should be clearly mentioned that the instructions mentioned at point 2. and those mentioned in the text below point 4. have the same effect.

7. If I set "Snap Focus Distance" adjustment to a button (I have it at Fn1), pushing it shows a menu in which I should choose using the front dial and then confirm. This means that I need to do 3 actions to choose from a list of 6 options. I think a sequential selection (so that if you have 2.5 meters selected, 2 pushes take you to infinite and three pushes to 1 meter) may be ideal.

8. The ability to choose if I want some of the buttons responsive while the display is turned off (maybe with confirmation by the focus confirmation light - also optional).

9. Being able to save all your settings in a txt or xml file (on the card) and of course being able to load them. Changes not available to the menu - like advanced settings, for example point 8. - should be able to be manipulated by it.

I am sure I forgot some other issues but it's 4 in the morning and my eyes are bleeding.

I welcome your thoughts on what I mentioned... and, of course, other suggestions too (especially tips and tricks concerning the utilization of this fine apparatus!

---------- Post added 02-08-15 at 04:13 AM ----------

10. Ah yes, the un-magnifiable RAW files. I can't verify focus on them. I know 100% Ricoh is aware of this and if it was easy they would have already solved it... I'm just including it here for completeness' sake.

---------- Post added 02-08-15 at 05:03 AM ----------

I can't edit my post title but if any mod/admin can, it should put in "GR V" between "Ricoh" and "User"... as this subforum was entitled "Ricoh GR" and I have a Ricoh GR, I thoght all postings were concerning this camera...

02-07-2015, 08:31 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

I don't own the camera in question, but would like to point out that while Ricoh is aware of this Web site, they have their own, corporate-sponsored, online forums and really don't monitor posts here. You can probably expect a number of responses from Ricoh GR users suggesting workaround, but nothing from Ricoh.

Steve
02-07-2015, 08:37 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you for your answer Stevebrot. I will wait a month or two to see if anybody has anything to add and then make a nice report with our wishes and desires and submit it over there too.

I must say I like this forum very much, and not only because I have a K1000 (Asahi Pentax) but because it seems full of people who are more passionate about making pictures than by technology.
03-06-2015, 02:16 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I don´t have a GR, but perhaps some links is useful:
https://gr.ricoh-imaging.eu/
Ricoh Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Ricoh Forum • View forum - Ricoh GR Digital
Ricoh GR (APS-C) Forum | Photographers' Lounge