Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2015, 10:30 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Score! GR

Just purchased a GR-V with optical vf and a handfull of other accessories. It will be replacing my very long of tooth Canon G10. I suspect the image quality will be so good that I will will be inclined to pass my k7 to my son earlier than initially planned. In 8 to 12 months I will purchase the new Pentax ff to replace the k7.

Typically when I buy a new camera I shoot it exclusively for 3 to 4 months to get fully in tune with its interface.

My question for all you GR owners: What are your favorite shortcuts and set-ups for the programable buttons and U modes on the dial?

03-21-2015, 12:36 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats! I'm sure you'll enjoying.

Moving this thread to the GR forum, by the way

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-21-2015, 01:26 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Congrats! I'm sure you'll enjoying.

Moving this thread to the GR forum, by the way
Thanks! I thought it a bit strange that there was no Ricoh forum....I over looked the sub-forum.

Maybe now that Ricoh owns (and has done so much for) the Pentax brand we should have a dedicated forum for all things Ricoh, and elevate them beyond sub-forum status?
03-21-2015, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by indy Quote
My question for all you GR owners: What are your favorite shortcuts and set-ups for the programable buttons and U modes on the dial?

I use the side filter button for it's default function. I use one function button to quickly switch between snap focus and auto focus, and depending on the situation, I'll change it to switch between AF and MF. I use the other function button to engage focus select mode with focus assist (focus peaking). I've never gotten into user modes on my GR nor my Pentax cameras.

It's a great little camera with a lot of settings. It's taken me longer to learn and tweak the interface than on any camera I've ever owned.

03-21-2015, 04:57 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
It's a great little camera with a lot of settings. It's taken me longer to learn and tweak the interface than on any camera I've ever owned.
Thanks for your comments ...yes the above is what I suspected and prompted my request for info. I hope to get some good suggestions.
03-27-2015, 11:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

well congrats.
also...please let us know the dust problem. The only reason stopped me from buying this camera...is because its sensor catches dust easily.
Keep in a good pouch and probably an auto lens cap might help
03-28-2015, 12:02 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hongzhibin1987 Quote
well congrats.
also...please let us know the dust problem. The only reason stopped me from buying this camera...is because its sensor catches dust easily.

I had one GR for a month and it got dust on it. I sent it back and my second GR, which I've used for more than a year, is dust free. Even after hiking in the desert with it on multiple occasions.

03-28-2015, 06:07 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I had one GR for a month and it got dust on it. I sent it back and my second GR, which I've used for more than a year, is dust free. Even after hiking in the desert with it on multiple occasions.
This may be something they corrected or something that was a bit exagerated. I purchased a used body with 814 shutter count. Came with an extra battery, an optical viewfinder. It was loaded with firmware 2.something. I did a white wall shot and found 0 dust. Also updated to 4.0. Spent the day playing with it. It is unbelievable how customizable this thing is! Experienced some frustration as a result, but have it sorted now. I did some test shots at 2.8 and 5.6 iso 800-6400 to compare to my k7. I did my research so I knew it would be a huge improvement. What blew me away was the quality of the noise. At 6400 the k7 is a jagged mess of color shards. The gr just looks like uniform clean static. With a little pp 10,000 would be fine for a 5x7 print. My only complaint so far is that the front e-de-dial feels a bit cheap.

---------- Post added 03-28-2015 at 09:10 PM ----------

well congrats.
Will do. I'll watch for dust but don't expect any issues.
03-28-2015, 11:44 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My year old GR is dust free, but I am immensely paranoid of the possibility of dust. I always pocket my GR but never directly into my lint trap of a pocket. I always have my pocket lined with a small drawstring dry bag. It has worked so far in keeping everything I don't want touching my GR, away from it.
03-30-2015, 09:50 AM   #10
Veteran Member

also...please let us know the dust problem.
I bought the GR as soon as it was available, I've used it in many places in all weather, in my pocket or a bag without any pouch or protection. I have yet to see any dust in my pictures.
03-30-2015, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I use my GR for landscapes and street photography. My customizations emphasize street photography.

Fn1: AF/Snap. Snap mode is invaluable for street photography because it eliminates AF lag. Note that when you are in snap mode you can hold up on the 4-way controller (the macro button) and turn the front dial to adjust the snap distance. The display shows a graph with the snap distance and estimated depth of field.

Fn2: Keep Fn2 dedicated to the default self timer. If you don't assign the timer to a button there's no alternate way to activate it from the menu.

My1: Daytime street photography. TAv, shutter 1/400 (to freeze moving subjects), f6.3 (for reasonable depth of field). Snap focus at 1.5m so everything between 1-4 meters is in focus.

My1: Low light. Av, f2.8, autofocus, B&W effect.
03-30-2015, 01:20 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I use my GR for landscapes and street photography. My customizations emphasize street photography.

Fn1: AF/Snap. Snap mode is invaluable for street photography because it eliminates AF lag. Note that when you are in snap mode you can hold up on the 4-way controller (the macro button) and turn the front dial to adjust the snap distance. The display shows a graph with the snap distance and estimated depth of field.

Fn2: Keep Fn2 dedicated to the default self timer. If you don't assign the timer to a button there's no alternate way to activate it from the menu.

My1: Daytime street photography. TAv, shutter 1/400 (to freeze moving subjects), f6.3 (for reasonable depth of field). Snap focus at 1.5m so everything between 1-4 meters is in focus.

My1: Low light. Av, f2.8, autofocus, B&W effect.
Thanks for this macro snap tidbit....I don't think I would have stumbled on this otherwise. So far I have My1 set up in tav for general photo, My2 set up for street with settings similar to yours, and My3 set up for macro. The more I play with this camera the more amazed I am at its flexibility. The rear push rocker dial is fantastic! With only a few days use I am stunned at how intuitive and quick the changes are. IMO better than separate buttons - key items under my thumb and no extra buttons to clutter the small body or accidentally hit. Oh, and the full press to shoot snap in any mode or setting is just brilliant. I hope we see more cross polination between the GR and K bodies.