Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2015, 02:58 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh GR vs Panasonic Lumix LX100

Picked up a used GR a couple months ago and thought I'd compare it to my wife's LX100. I'm in love with the GR. All it needs is faster autofocus. If they made a GR in different focal lengths I'd buy them all instead of a DSLR system. In fact, the GR is the main reason why I sold off my Fujifilm mirrorless gear - the GR just comes with me everywhere.

The image quality of the LX100 isn't nearly as good in terms of sharpness, but it's definitely very versatile and AF is quick

04-22-2015, 05:08 PM   #2

Truly, a camera that goes with you at all times, owned my GR for 2 years
and no complaints, just complements.
04-22-2015, 05:31 PM   #3

I have had mine for a few weeks now and had the same thoughts as the op. I would buy several at different focal lengths. I bought late and used (barely) so I payed an amazing price. I told my wife that this is the last p&s I would need for a long time. However, if the next iteration (GR VI?) incorporates a 2.0 lens, 24mp chip, and brings back the IS, I will be all over it. It truly is an amazing little camera.
04-22-2015, 09:06 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dirtistasty2 Quote
All it needs is faster autofocus.
Make sure you have the latest firmware loaded. There was an update that was supposed to fix AF under dim light.

Snap focus is your friend. I customized Fn1 to toggle between AF/Snap. When you're in snap mode, you can hold up on the 4-way controller (the flower macro position) and turn the front wheel to adjust the distance. The LCD will show a graph with the distance, plus depth of field at the current aperture. You can also press the shutter button very fast to snap focus, but I rarely use that out of fear I'm going to cause shake blur by pressing in such a hurry.

Snap focus plus the small size makes the GR my favorite street photography camera.

04-23-2015, 01:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Agreed! Snap focus is amazing!