Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2015, 01:23 PM   #1

white balance

It seems no matter what I do, most of my photos are shifted toward the green and away from red. I've been experimenting with manual WB but shouldn't have to, especially on a simple bright, sunny day. Any one else having this issue and/or have suggestions?

06-12-2015, 01:38 PM   #2

What setting do you typically use? Auto WB?
06-12-2015, 01:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kines Quote
It seems no matter what I do, most of my photos are shifted toward the green and away from red. I've been experimenting with manual WB but shouldn't have to, especially on a simple bright, sunny day. Any one else having this issue and/or have suggestions?
Maybe your monitor isn't calibrated and it skews toward green?
06-12-2015, 02:17 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kines Quote
Maybe you just want to tweak your jpeg settings a bit?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-12-2015, 02:58 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Try adjusting the Hue instead of the WB.
06-12-2015, 05:20 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks everyone.

What does "tweak jpeg settings" mean? On my GR3 I could manually move the RGB grid, but don't see that capability on this one.

And what does "adjust hue" mean? Is that a camera setting, or are you talking about on computer software? If the latter, yeah, I can do that, but I'm really just wanting a reasonable result out of the camera so that I don't have to.

I've tried AWB a lot. Outdoors in sun I've tried "sunny" and "cloudy". All of them result in greenish photos.

I have definitely considered the monitor as a possibility, and ruled it out. Same result on several different monitors. Also, I can compare it to my other cameras, and internet photos, all on the same monitor, and yes, the Ricoh photos are green.

May have to just resort to RAW. Or carrying around a white card with me to manually set it all the time.

KN
06-15-2015, 07:16 PM   #7

Original Poster
OK here's a link that you can use to toggle back and forth (give it time to fully load) between the typical result from my camera (using either auto WB, sunny, or cloudy), and a corrected version using "remove color cast" in Photoshop. So is it just me? Again, the photo out of the camera looks green to me, and the corrected photo (using the lid of the coffee cup as white) looks spot-on to me.

http://216.254.17.117:2014/awb/awb.html

Thanks
KN
06-26-2015, 01:57 PM   #8

Original Poster
partial fix

In case it ever helps anyone else with the same problem who finds this thread in the future, I found at least a partial fix for this problem, and it is not included in the instruction manual, although it almost is. On p92, under "correcting the white balance", instructions are given for changing a photo once taken, but what it doesn't tell you is that the same feature is available during shooting by pressing the F2 button while selecting any of the WB modes. I simply moved mine over to the A:2 M:2, and the photos are much improved.