Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2015, 12:38 PM   #1

No dust on my GR sensor after two years.

I've never noticed any dust on any of my images over a two year period. I just took a picture of the sky at f/16, and still no dust.

Knowing that retractable lens cameras can allow dust in, or actually suck dust in as a result of the lens going in and out, I opted to carry my GR in a zippered case all of the time. I shoot outdoors almost exclusively, and if there is a strong wind or obvious dust in the air I may opt not to take pictures, or be very careful to check that there is no obvious dust before I extend or retract the lens.

I've had three cameras with retractable lenses, and the Canon S95 I had did eventually get a dust particle on the sensor even though I carried it in a case as well, but only one bit of dust after many years is pretty good I think.

Putting a retractable lens camera in a pocket is the perfect storm for delivering dust to the sensor. Maybe there are retractable lens cameras that don't allow dust in, but it's difficult to imagine how that might be accomplished. Until there are, keep your GR in a case when it's not in use, and if you really prefer keeping it in a pocket consider a cloth pouch at least.

06-19-2015, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Same here. No dust, many, many outdoor photos.

My K-30 OTOH...
06-19-2015, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Same here as well. I keep both it (as I did with my GRDIII and S90 and others in the past) and the GR1s in one of those microfiber sunglass pouches - the cheap ones they give you with pretty much any pair of shades $15 or more. Cam slides in and out of it in 1/2 a second, and it actually goes in and out of my pocket far easier as well because of the microfiber as a opposed a rubberized grip against the fabric of my pocket.