Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2015, 11:46 AM   #31
Forum Member

Hello P.,
I have been researching the Ricoh GR II, attracted mainly by the very high image quality, compactness and portability.
However, I am not knowledgeable about some of the details of operation of the Ricoh GR, or its successor, the GR II. My main uncertainty is how, in the absence of an optical zoom, these cameras can be used for smaller field of view images e.g. portraiture. Does the user need to use a digital zoom, and if so, is it easy to compose when doing so? I am sorry if this is an elementary question.
Thanks for any advice!

09-16-2015, 02:04 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxis Quote
Hello P.,
I have been researching the Ricoh GR II, attracted mainly by the very high image quality, compactness and portability.
However, I am not knowledgeable about some of the details of operation of the Ricoh GR, or its successor, the GR II. My main uncertainty is how, in the absence of an optical zoom, these cameras can be used for smaller field of view images e.g. portraiture. Does the user need to use a digital zoom, and if so, is it easy to compose when doing so? I am sorry if this is an elementary question.
Thanks for any advice!
On the GR, you can select the aspect ratio, and the camera can automatically crop to the equivalent of a 35mm photo or use a 1:1 aspect ratio. You lose some megapixels when doing so.

Or...if doing portraits, just walk closer.
09-16-2015, 02:56 PM   #33
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
On the GR, you can select the aspect ratio, and the camera can automatically crop to the equivalent of a 35mm photo or use a 1:1 aspect ratio. You lose some megapixels when doing so.

Or...if doing portraits, just walk closer.
Thanks for your response, pentaxian_tmb.

I must confess your comments leave me disappointed in my expectations for the camera.

Maybe I should have stressed in my posting that it is the perspective needed for portraiture that mostly concerns me. Using a longer focal length lens reduces field of view and also desirably "flattens" facial features because the perspective is changed.

A second need for a longer focal length is to "apparently" get nearer to a subject by producing a larger image and reducing the field of view e.g. as required in nature or sports photography.

In the absence of an optical zoom function (i.e. use of a longer focal length) the other means for satisfying the above needs is by cropping, either in camera (this is "electronic zooming", at least that is my assumption) or post-exposure. However, cropping is undesirable for reasons of reduced image quality.

Changing aspect ratio will only crop the native image, won't it? (Probably by cropping the image in the camera sensor). Although this will marginally reduce field of view I don't see that this will have any effect at all on perspective (portraiture) and no effect on image size (sports and nature).

Walking closer may get you increased image size you but field of view will be unchanged and the perspective modified undesirably for portraiture. The resulting image will thereby be correspondingly distorted e.g. noses will appear to be larger than in real life. That is why in 35 mm photography an 80 mm focal length, or larger, will be used for portraiture, thereby avoiding the "big nose" effect. Likewise, walking closer is not unlikely to be practicable sports and nature photography and why longer focal lengths will be used in those situations .

So, in summary, it seems to me that the GR is of very limited value for portraiture or sports or nature photography.

I hope that I have not misunderstood your comments and certainly remain grateful for your response.
09-17-2015, 01:55 AM   #34

Marco mode works surprisingly well with portraits too (albeit not what it was meant for)

09-17-2015, 02:39 AM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In summary, it seems to me that the GR is of very limited value for portraiture or sports or nature photography
You are correct. If that is want you want to do, the GR is not for you.
What it does, it does brilliantly, but it doesn't do everything.
If you want DSLR IQ and DSLR versatility, get a DSLR.
09-17-2015, 03:48 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax needs an entry-level prime in this focal length, IMO. Badly.
09-17-2015, 06:47 AM   #37
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
You are correct. If that is want you want to do, the GR is not for you.
What it does, it does brilliantly, but it doesn't do everything.
If you want DSLR IQ and DSLR versatility, get a DSLR.
Many thanks for your confirmation, Sandy.

---------- Post added 09-17-15 at 06:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Vonn Quote
Marco mode works surprisingly well with portraits too (albeit not what it was meant for)
Thanks for your comment, Ray.
09-25-2015, 12:42 AM - 1 Like   #38

Original Poster
Hi,
So, in summary, it seems to me that the GR is of very limited value for portraiture or sports or nature photography.
I agree, that the GR is not too interesting for portraits. (at least for me)
Also for many fields of sports photography you definitely need more (sometimes less) focal length, so I tend to agree as well.
For nature photography I disagree. For the way I use it, the limitation of the fixed focal length is smaller than the benefit of the weight and size. (but that's definitely a matter of taste)

Anyway: The GR is not the typical camera for sports-, portrait-, or nature photography. But If you want a maximum ratio of IQ to camera size, it is a very interesting camera at least for nature photography. As well as for some special fields of sports photography, I think.

Here are some recent GR shots of mine:
enjoying the view by Philipp Medicus, auf Flickr

island by Philipp Medicus, auf Flickr

balloon by Philipp Medicus, auf Flickr

ground fog 2 by Philipp Medicus, auf Flickr

strutting by Philipp Medicus, auf Flickr

Cheers,

P.

09-25-2015, 07:56 AM   #39
Forum Member

Many thanks for your opinions and splendid photos, Philipp. For example, your image above ("Strutting") is a clear indication that where there is a will there is a way!

At the present time I am having great satisfaction and pleasure from using an old Olympus Mju that my sister gave me. It is of circa 2007 vintage and has a 2x optical zoom. The sensor only has 5 Mpixels but I am truly pleased with the images I am getting. I only use the zoom occasionally but in some situations it is invaluable.

Consequently, for myself, I am inclined to prefer, on balance, the MX-1.
09-25-2015, 08:42 AM   #40

Original Poster
Hi,
For example, your image above ("Strutting") is a clear indication that where there is a will there is a way!
To some extend, that's definitely true!

And sometimes the focal length limitation is even an advantage, because it forces you to move your camera instead of simply using the zoom function. Moving the camera closer to an object might lead to a better picture in some cases, than using the zoom.
I think, that's valid for this shot for example. (I've already posted it in this thread)
landing by Philipp Medicus, auf Flickr

In many other cases, the fixed focal length is a clear disadvantage. (I wouldn't shoot portraits with the GR for example. I only do that with my DSLR with more focal length. Macros are an other obvious example.)

Like "Sandy" wrote above: "If you want DSLR IQ and DSLR versatility, get a DSLR." (or maybe a mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera)

Cheers,

P.