Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
06-20-2015, 05:56 AM - 23 Likes   #1

two years with the Ricoh GR

Hi,

I've discovered this forum almost two years ago and found some helpful information, which lead to buying a Ricoh GR. I used the camera quite a lot and thought I could share my impression and some photos.

What I like about the camera:
  • Its image quality. There are enough tests available that prove it. But I am still surprised about the quality of the GR-images. (Besides the GR I own a Nikon D7100 with some good lenses, but I wouldn't call the quality significantly superior.)
  • Its size and weight. Since I have the GR I made most of my good photos with it, and not with the Nikon. The reason for this is simple: The GR was in my pocket with me and the Nikon wasn't, because I preferred to leave it at home with all the heavy lenses. The GR doesn't feel any bigger than a smartphone in my pocket.
  • Its handling. The access to all the functions I use is very easy. The manual focus is really nice to have for me. For its size, the ergonomics are very good.
  • Its sturdiness. I use the camera a lot for outdoor activities and I don't care too much about its protection. It got a little wet and dirty on a few occasions but with a shutter count of 14000 it still works like on day one.
What I don't like:
  • The sensor-dust. It's no big issue, as the two dust spots on my sensor are easy to remove in lightroom. And as mentioned above, I'm not the user, who carries the camera in an safety case and only uses it in good weather.
  • Besides that, I wouldn't ask for any improvement. (Of course a 24MP sensor and a lens with better edge sharpness at f2.8 would be nice, but it's nothing I really miss.)
So If the camera stopped working today I'd immediately buy it again.

Here are 10 of my favourite pictures I took with GR:

Cheers,

P.

Last edited by pipo01; 10-07-2015 at 12:16 AM. Reason: link fixed
06-20-2015, 08:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Stop that, your making me miss my GR. I used to carry mine in a pant leg cargo pocket on quad trips in the Rocky Mountains. Never had a spec of dust enter it. I can honestly say I took more pictures that I was happy with than I have with any of my DSLR. Possibly more were candid shots instead of trying to create the perfect photograph. Ironically enough, I sold it because I felt that I was leaving my K5II at home and using the GR instead. Guess what, I still leave the DSLR at home lol. I did buy a K01 (which I also love) tying to somewhat replace the GR as a small pocketable option. On the way out the door to a Skid Row concert I tried putting it into my jean jacket pocket and it wouldn't fit even with the 40 XS so it got left at home .
06-20-2015, 08:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pipo01 Quote
Hi,

I've discovered this forum almost two years ago and found some helpful information, which lead to buying a Ricoh GR. I used the camera quite a lot and thought I could share my impression and some photos.

What I like about the camera:
  • Its image quality. There are enough tests available that prove it. But I am still surprised about the quality of the GR-images. (Besides the GR I own a Nikon D7100 with some good lenses, but I wouldn't call the quality significantly superior.)
  • Its size and weight. Since I have the GR I made most of my good photos with it, and not with the Nikon. The reason for this is simple: The GR was in my pocket with me and the Nikon wasn't, because I preferred to leave it at home with all the heavy lenses. The GR doesn't feel any bigger than a smartphone in my pocket.
  • Its handling. The access to all the functions I use is very easy. The manual focus is really nice to have for me. For its size, the ergonomics are very good.
  • Its sturdiness. I use the camera a lot for outdoor activities and I don't care too much about its protection. It got a little wet and dirty on a few occasions but with a shutter count of 14000 it still works like on day one.
What I don't like:
  • The sensor-dust. It's no big issue, as the two dust spots on my sensor are easy to remove in lightroom. And as mentioned above, I'm not the user, who carries the camera in an safety case and only uses it in good weather.
  • Besides that, I wouldn't ask for any improvement. (Of course a 24MP sensor and a lens with better edge sharpness at f2.8 would be nice, but it's nothing I really miss.)

Here are 10 of my favourite pictures I took with GR:

Cheers,

P.
Amazing shots!!!!
06-20-2015, 10:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pipo01 Quote
That's about the best praise you can give a tool. Nice work too. That one of the crow titled landing made me exclaim "Nice!" out loud in my empty house.

06-20-2015, 03:03 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful work, and a perfect example of the GR in action. Thanks for sharing! I'll have this thread posted on our Facebook page, if you don't mind

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-20-2015, 03:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have to log on and thank you for posting this, just stunning, an inspiration for me to take my GR out more!
06-20-2015, 03:56 PM   #7

Now I have to buy a GR. Excellent write up and superlative pictures!

06-20-2015, 05:05 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Some inspiring pics - are you a pilot? Love the vantage point!
06-20-2015, 05:19 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, wonderful shots. You have a very good eye for composition and GR has done a good job too.

There is definitely something to be said for having a compact high image quality camera. A while back I got my wife a K-01 which often got carted around when travelling but since she got a Nokia 1020 (41 MP) the K-01 has been a bit neglected. Despite being a much smaller sensor than an APS-C, the Nokia takes surprisingly good photos in most conditions.

You have me craving the GR now though.
06-20-2015, 05:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

My god, that "Landing" photo is an absolute stunner.

The camera may be a great tool, but you've put it to excellent use.
06-20-2015, 07:09 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These are breathtaking photos!
06-20-2015, 09:11 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I am in agreement with everyone else. Great shots!
06-20-2015, 10:53 PM   #13
Forum Member

Awesome pictures!
06-21-2015, 01:41 AM   #14

Photos: Albums
double likes for the fellow Innsbruck-Pentaxian ;-)
06-21-2015, 01:51 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Stunning pictures! (Especially - the third, fourth, fifth, seventh, eighth and ninth). The incredible success, and studio work!