Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2015, 03:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just bought a new (2011) GRD IV

Just bought a new Ricoh GR Digital IV (actually made around 2011), after thinking very seriously about buying a replacement GR for the one I lost about 6 months ago... or waiting another month or two for the really new GR II to show up.

Decided on the GRD IV for several reasons. First, price. Way less now than new. Second, size -- smaller and lighter than the GR... and the new GR II is even larger/heavier. Third, the small sensor, so much smaller than APS-C. Because it plays to my taste. I don't like bokeh effects for snapshots, I want everything in focus. And the teeny GRD IV sensor really delivers on that even at apertures like f/2.8 and f/4. Which also means, at those apertures, no more dust spots like I had on my lost GR at f/8 and f/10. Which is philosophical -- there might be dust spots on the GRD IV sensor, but if I never see them, do they exist? Like the sound of a tree falling in a forest, if no-one is there to hear it, does it make a noise? Might take a few beers to figure this one out.

Anyway, it came today. Won't use it for work -- I have the Pentax K-5 IIs for that, usually with the 16-45mm lens... and, at work, I really need the dynamic range you can tease out of an APS-C image with Lightroom, and the 16 MP for cropping, where the GRD IV is 10 MP. But non-work, for me, for my snapshots? Who cares. Am looking forward to a fun summer, and will post some GRD IV pictures here soon.