Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2015, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

GR ll...wonder if dust will be an issue -BUMPED

It's been a few months since I started this thread. As one of the posters indicated at the time, when I posted the thread may have come out to early ...before many had got their Ricoh GR ll and got some experience with it. Which was an excellent observation.

It's been a few months, so I'm anticipating more photographers have got the Ricoh GR ll since then. Bear with me, as I've decided to bump this thread again and see if dust in an issue with the Ricoh GR ll. Thank you.

I've got a lot of DSLR equipment and it's great. But it is bulky, although not a huge issue when I go out to an event.

However for a daily carry, I want something smaller.

About 4 years ago, I bought a Canon G12 as a daily carry around camera. It's a good camera, but it does have a small sensor and in my eyes the end product the photo is not as good as a DSLR. Not a surprise and I wasn't expecting the G 12 to do as well, due to the smaller sensor.

Don't get me wrong, the G 12 is good for what it is, but like they say in the late night TV ' infomercials ' ....I want more.

What I want is a small camera body...say the size of my G 12....but one with a ASP-C sized sensor. I want it for daily carry around and also for traveling on trips. I think an attached prime wide angle would be something I could easily live with.

I really like what I've read and heard about the Ricoh GR. It seems to have it all...with it's excellent, sharp, 28mm (35mm equivalent) wide angle and ASP-C sized sensor and have been very impressed with the photo quality this small camera produces.

Only hesitation seems to be that a number of Ricoh GR owners have concerns about dust on the sensor. This issue so far has kept my money in my wallet, when it comes to buying a GR.

I am wondering if the new...soon to be available...Ricoh GR ll will still have a dust issue ? I know that it hasn't been released yet.

However, as I'm not a technical camera expert, I'm wondering if other more expert, members would be able to determine if the specs with the new GR ll camera will lessen or eliminate this issue ?

I've also read (on this forum) that some GR owners indicate that dust on the sensor has not been a problem for them, as they keep their GR in a soft cloth microfibre bag and when they slip it into their pocket...this prevents the possibility of dust getting into the sensor.

Anyways, looking forward to getting some expert opinion on this issue with the soon to be introduced GR ll.

I wouldn't mind buying a GR ll in the new year (2016)...if the dust issue would not be a problem.

So what's your educated guess ?

Last edited by lesmore49; 10-29-2015 at 03:19 PM.
07-18-2015, 12:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a GR and have had issues on at least three occasions with dust on the sensor. Each time I had to send it in to be serviced. I always kept mine in a waterproof case when not in use. Didn't stop the dust.

I don't think there's any way to tell whether or not the GR II has greater dust resistance based on specs or manufacturer literature. I think we'll have to wait and see if there are any complaints.
07-18-2015, 02:11 PM   #3

Just got me a GR and love the handling and customization options. A note: The focallength is 18.3 mm and thus 28 mm equivalent.Good for scenic shots. Still have to test it on people though.
Due to the leaf-shutter I can (optically) sync with a slave flash down to 1/400th s and effectively use flash in daylight.
However I am worried about the dust issue aswell...
07-18-2015, 04:15 PM   #4

I'v had mine for several months now. Bought it used "like new" with well under 1k shutter count. I have not noticed any dust issues. I don't carry it in a any sort of special case. My readings on the dust topic have led me to the conclusion/opinion that the issue has been exagerated. It is an utterly brilliant camera. In fact, I have completely reevaluated my stance on dslrs, mirrors, etc...as a result. My previous compact carry camera was a G10. IMHO the G10 is not much more that a paperweight when compared to the GR. The progression of camera tech, expecially mirrorless, is just stunning. Heck, I have not even picked up my k7 since the GR arrived.

07-20-2015, 11:11 AM   #5

From my recent inspection I think it is possible for the dust on the sensor to be better controlled than it currently is. It might be as simple as tighter quality control during the assembly process and/or possibly a redesigned dust seal or reworked dust seal installation procedure for the sensor. Ricoh may have addressed this in the GR II (hope spring eternal).

That said, I love mine and would certainly buy another GR if my current one dies.
02-29-2016, 02:51 PM   #6

I have a brand new Ricoh GR II.
Dust in the image sensor.
I think from the factory, because I have bought it this week brand new.

You can see it the right side, down. I have attached pictures at several apertures.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
GR II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
GR II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
GR II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
GR II  Photo 
02-29-2016, 03:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by melodicca Quote
I have a brand new Ricoh GR II.
Dust in the image sensor.
I think from the factory, because I have bought it this week brand new.

You can see it the right side, down. I have attached pictures at several apertures.
I think you are still covered by guarantee

02-29-2016, 06:06 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
I think you are still covered by guarantee
what do you do after warranty?
03-01-2016, 08:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ruoyun.huang Quote
what do you do after warranty?
You ether pay ~50$ for cleaning or do it yourself. If you choose diy route search forum I made a guide how o disassemble GR for cleaning.
03-01-2016, 10:47 AM   #10

Warranty. No problem.
The seller told me for returning the camera. Great communication.
But I think Ricoh should put care in the factory and with the protection of lens and sensor in a camera with a price about 700 euros.

The question is:

Will we have this problem when the warranty is finished?

How many times we have dust in the sensor during the warranty period?

I have bought it with a lot of illusion. It is the best compact camera in the market. But I need something reliable.

Thank you for the answers.
I would like to know the way to clean the sensor.
03-01-2016, 11:20 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
You ether pay ~50$ for cleaning or do it yourself. If you choose diy route search forum I made a guide how o disassemble GR for cleaning.
Thank you very much.
I will learn it. With a compact camera is difficult than a reflex or evil, but we will study the way.
03-05-2016, 05:10 PM   #12

Well. The GR II is great.

Photo and crop.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
GR II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
GR II  Photo 
09-15-2016, 03:09 AM   #13
webstertomkins

I have been on vacation at the Danish North Sea Coast for two weeks. I carried my GR II with me on the beach every day and we had a lot of flying sand by the wind and salt water spray in the air. So I protected my lens most of the time with the lens adapter and a UV-Filter against the salt water spray. But this was the only protection. I caried the camera mostly without any other protection in my hands or with a neck-strap. Although it got a lot of dust and salt water spray, everythink works fine. No dust on the sensor. So, maybe the lens-adapter with a UV-Filter is a good way to protect the GR II in heavy environment.