Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2015, 12:00 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Enabled :)

Just got my GR last week, thanks to Amazon.fr selling it for 400 which I thought was a steal. Couldn't resist

I got it only few days ago so there's much I still need to learn but... I have to say I'm impressed.
This thing is FAST (yeah, using some effects settings on my K5 is slooooow) and is indeed sharp as can be.
And, it is clear, going trough the menus that this camera is really a photog camera. Really, the settings possible are crazy.

Love it

I'll probably get neck strap and a VF (IMO the compact one), so it will be in "always available" mode.

Cheers,

Thibs

07-24-2015, 09:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Welcome to the club. The GR is a great companion to your K-5.

What's your intended use of the GR: street, landscape, something else?
07-24-2015, 02:36 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Welcome to the club. The GR is a great companion to your K-5.

What's your intended use of the GR: street, landscape, something else?

Thanks.

Mostly street and urban landscapes.
I really can't have an SLR with me at all time (it I could it'd rather be an MX rather than a DSLR).
Finally I have a big sensor and an excellent lens in my pocket
07-24-2015, 04:51 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Update firmware because there was a significant improvement for low light focusing.

I use my GR street photography. Here are my customizations:

Fn1 toggles between AF and snap focus. (FYI there's a poorly documented feature for adjusting snap focus distance: hold up on the 4 way controller, which usually toggles macro, and turn the front wheel)

My1 is for bright streets. TAv, f8, 1/400 shutter, snap focus set at 1.5m. Everything between 1m and 5m is in focus and I get no shutter lag, perfect for crowded streets.

My2 is for dark places. Av, f2.8, autofocus, auto ISO.

My3 is for landscapes, or shooting through windows or past obstacles that might trick autofocus. Snap focus at infinity, Av mode.

07-25-2015, 01:35 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Update firmware because there was a significant improvement for low light focusing.

I use my GR street photography. Here are my customizations:

Fn1 toggles between AF and snap focus. (FYI there's a poorly documented feature for adjusting snap focus distance: hold up on the 4 way controller, which usually toggles macro, and turn the front wheel)

My1 is for bright streets. TAv, f8, 1/400 shutter, snap focus set at 1.5m. Everything between 1m and 5m is in focus and I get no shutter lag, perfect for crowded streets.

My2 is for dark places. Av, f2.8, autofocus, auto ISO.

My3 is for landscapes, or shooting through windows or past obstacles that might trick autofocus. Snap focus at infinity, Av mode.
VERY interesting settings. Thank you.
I will indeed set it alike and start from there.
07-25-2015, 07:58 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations! I got mine recently on an Amazon sale for about the same price, and love it. I set My1 for Macro, My2 Landscape, and My3 for Street, presets that will likely get tweaked. Then F1 toggling between multi and point. I love the interface and settings for this camera, and the fact I can take it with me everywhere. Optech has a belt case that is the perfect size, too.
07-25-2015, 08:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Oh yeah, cases. I use a Pearstone. Inside tag says OCP250B and CB1212 I'm not sure which one is the model #. Soft fabric case with padding. Zippered closure. Outside pouch holds 2 spare batteries.

I love my GR! I'm at a huge hot air balloon festival as I write this, taking a break in the shade, and using the GR for wide shots while my K5 does telephoto duty.