Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-08-2015, 09:21 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kailoon911 Quote
I have got my gr ii today and the web remote working well in my note 4 chrome. But I have the problem to transfer the photo to my phone using image sync app, this app is totally lag and slow! And I got very frustrated on it. This is my first WiFi camera and I looking forward to get my image transferred easily to Mt phone but the app is totally disappointing.
So I've been using the camera for about 10 days, and I have to say, it's a great camera, same as with the GR (which I have as well), but seems faster and more responsive. Higher frame rate and faster processing as well as better battery , at least it feels like it to me. It is a shame that the wifi sill sucks, I was on a week trip to NYC, had to buy me an EyeFi card for that. It seems that Ricoh will listen, from past experience, and that they will fix the software end of it. I am ready to head to Europe and the Middle East, and I will be bringing that little gem along, I will post some more when I am back.

08-09-2015, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The words and criticism are a bit extreme. Useless; 10years behind the time; luxury car analogy is a straw man. It's a high-end, fixed lens pocket camera, not an Instagram toy. Criticism is fine - and probably deserved (other then incorrect expectations, I suggest) - but hyperbole isn't helpful. These posts show up at the top of Google searched because PF gets so many views.

NOTHING transfers RAW's fast - except cable.
08-13-2015, 06:35 AM   #18

The WiFi is useless for me. I cannot even connect with the app, either by typing in the password or by using NFC. I have a one plus 1 phone which uses a very stock version of android, so this is surprising. Ricoh needs to hire a good android developer, or I might do some reverse engineering and make my own app.
08-20-2015, 01:06 PM   #19

I also cannot use the WiFi on the GR II at all. I am using a Sonim XP7... also a "Stock version of Android" as far as I know. I have updated the camera to 1.10 and the app is 1.0.5 ... also the web cached control app does not connect either. Since this feature is the main difference from the GR we can sure hope Ricoh will straighten it out.... if they don't, what a product flop!

08-25-2015, 12:11 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by elouisyoung Quote
The WiFi is useless for me. I cannot even connect with the app, either by typing in the password or by using NFC. I have a one plus 1 phone which uses a very stock version of android, so this is surprising. Ricoh needs to hire a good android developer, or I might do some reverse engineering and make my own app.
I have a OPO as well and connecting is no problem. I do have to go into the wifi settings and select the Ricoh to connect with, make sure wifi is on on the GR and push connect on the web app. 100% hit within a second.
Hope this helps.
08-27-2015, 12:07 AM   #21

Original Poster
Still no good Wifi option

As detailed above, the Wifi option on the new GR remains un-useable and useless. Monochrome in an earlier reply seems to think I am using hyperbole, however I am just trying to use a tool as it was intended, and as such Ricoh failed. The fact that one has to revert to Eye-Fi for Wifi transfer and shell an extra $80-100 to achieve a modicum of wifi functionality is a shame. Yes I agree that the GR is a pocketable camera that appeals to more advanced photographers, but this fact should not take away from the fact that yes, you may want to use it also to post to social media. Even the more seasoned photographers among us might want to take pictures and post them to Instagram, and as such this camera falls short of expectations. The camera itself is fantastic, I took it on a 3 week long vacation and took thousands of pictures, I was not disappointed. The focus did miss few times, and I had a few glitches were after pressing the power button to start the camera, the splash screen appeared and the camera turned off again. Other then that, I would say the camera performed flawlessly. I tried to re-use the WiFi function, but gave up on it. Again, the IOS app is useless, you have to first transfer to the app then from the app to you camera roll, and you still can not use the app to remote shoot. The cached remote shoot app is a crap shoot, pun intended, if you do not have an internet connection, do not expect the web-app to work, even the cached one. The Android app performs slightly better, now that you can find your pictures after the update, still no remote shoot on the app and very clunky environment. So yes, great camera with flawed WiFi. If Ricoh doesn't plan on fixing the WiFi issues, then stick with the original GR and save yourself $100 to purchase an EyeFi card. I hope that someone at Ricoh is listening or reading these posts, if so, please on over to the Fuji remote app and check it out, you will know what I'm talking about.
09-09-2015, 09:11 PM   #22
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There is a new version of the GR Remote application available today.

news.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/rim_info2/2015/20150910_009369.html

09-10-2015, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #23

You guys are crazy!

GR Remote is the best WiFi implementation I've used between the Ricoh GR, Panasonic GM5 and Sony RX100. The main problem I'm seeing here is people trying to use the abandoned Image Sync app. Clearly all development by Ricoh is being put into GR Remote and you're just trying to pound a round peg into a square hole if you're trying to use Image Sync.

I totally get this little web app so I must be the target demographic they were thinking of. Why would I want to transfer all or many images on my cam to my mobile when I can review them all in GR Remote? Then I just transfer the one or two I'm interested in to mobile for sharing.

It even converts them from Raw to jpeg for the transfer!
It even lets me download to the cache only and paste into apps like messenger for sharing without ever adding to my local camera roll!

It appears that there may have been an issue with Android before today (which is really ironic as Android is typically the king for camera integration) but if that is fixed you should really give this thing another try. I love it.
09-10-2015, 02:36 PM   #24
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jambon Quote
You guys are crazy!
Calling people crazy isn't a very good idea around here; particularly in your very first post on the forum.
Just a heads up.
09-10-2015, 06:02 PM   #25

You're right. Sorry everybody!

I just got a little excited about GR Remote. I really like it as you noticed.
09-12-2015, 08:43 AM   #26

OK, well I guess I need to temper my enthusiasm a little and probably fully retract my original charges of craziness.

Just like any wifi implementation this one is not perfect. In my case I did not notice its imperfections since it aligns very well with my workflow - admittedly a consumer one.

For example, GR Remote does not convert Raw to JPEG on download as I originally thought. It was my phone that gave me this impression by simply displaying (or converting?) the DNG which I did not expect but was a pleasant surprise. What was an unpleasant surprise was that the phone down-res'ed the dng to a very low detail version comparable to a crappy phone pic. Obviously this was the phones' fault and not the camera. Converting the file to jpeg before download avoided all of these concerns.

Another thing I've noticed about GR remote is that the images are displayed low-res in Quick Viewer before download which makes it a little harder to judge. You're basically down to judging composition for the most part. Once downloaded, the full image is available for zooming though.

I do continue to love the "copy" feature after the download which allows me to move the image directly to messages, whatsapp, etc without gunking up my device camera roll. One less thing I have to clean up or organize later! Naturally I have the option of "saving" as well if that is what I wanted in a particular case.

I imagine the main objection of some to GR Remote might be that you are restricted to viewing "recent" images which is only the last 10 or so. If you wanted to do a bulk download to mobile you would be unhappy. Luckily for me, my workflow apparently aligns perfectly with the thoughts of the app designer so I never even noticed the "issues" with the app until I read this thread. In my workflow, I shoot raw only and when reviewing in-camera I convert to jpg when there is an image I want to share. Even if the image I want to share was hundreds of images ago, when I convert it to jpg it becomes one of the most recent and is available in Quick Viewer.

I've used GR Remote on both iOS and Android without noticing any difference. I do wish GR Remote would show some of the exif info you can see in Image Sync, but honestly I don't even keep Image Sync on my phone anymore and don't miss it. There may be a use case for it though, possibly for full-res review of images on camera before download?
10-01-2015, 07:59 AM   #27

Ricoh GR II remote control distance

Hi to all,
I found this tread and you all seem very familiar with the Ricoh GR II characteristics. I am trying to know how far can the camera be operated remotely via my mobile. I am planning to use it with a drone so distance is important.
Thanks a lot for replying!

Rocco
01-29-2016, 03:06 AM   #28
webstertomkins

I can not really agree with some of this extreme posts, that says, that wifi is not usable.

To me it works fine with the GR-Remote Web-App. I absolutely appreciate that Ricoh offers a modern Web-App and not only native Apps for each OS. With a Web-App you are flexible and it is running on more devices. I tried it with my nearly 5 years old BlackBerry-Playbook tablet and it works perfect. I also tried on my Windows 10 Notebook. That works also perfect. On a Android Phone with Chrome Browser it also works perfect. Only my Windows-Phone (8.1) got some problems with the Cache-Version. But I hope this will be fixed, when the phone gets Windows 10 mobile.

When I say it works perfect, I allways talk about the Cache-Version of the Web-App and I mean that I am able to remote control the camera and that I can load pictures from the camera to a mobile device e.g. to post it in social networks. For me ist is not necessary to load all the files, including raw-data, to my phone. If you want this, that's O.K. But in my opinion the Ricoh wifi is far better than "useless". Even if it maybe needs some improvement.