Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2015, 09:31 PM   #1

Ricoh GR II WiFi Frustration

I have been using the GRII for few days now, and I'm ready to send it back to BHPhoto, since the WiFi feature is completely unusable, it is an excersise in frustration to use even try and use that feature. Is anyone else in the same boat?
I bought the GRII especially because of the WiFi, I still have the GR. And I can't believe how flawed the WiFi software is on the II. Whatva shame!

08-02-2015, 03:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
would you mind describing a bit the process of the Wifi ?

I guess some people would like to know more detail about how it is suppose to work, and why you say it's a pain.
08-02-2015, 06:36 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
would you mind describing a bit the process of the Wifi ?

I guess some people would like to know more detail about how it is suppose to work, and why you say it's a pain.
Sure,
Like any other WiFi enabled cameras you start WiFi and switch your phone to the same network and start the app, so far so good. Most other cameras allow you to select pictures on the camera to send to the device, Ricoh doesn't. The camera is unaware that it is connected to a phone or device. Fine so you have to select the pictures on the phone, no prob. Well there is no way to select all, kr select only JPGs or a certain range, you have to manually select the pictures you want to download, however you can not see the format of the picture you are selecting, and you can not opt to download a smaller file of the photo, say something to use in social media. If you want to see the format of the file, whether dng or jpg, you'll have to click on the file, once you do that you lose all your selection, and you start all over again.
Once you successfully downloaded the pictures,they download to the app, on the Android there's no way to get the pictures to use them, they reside in the app, I think you can share them on FB, but they do not show up in your photos, can't email edit or txt them, Nada. On the ios platform, you have to reselect whatever pics you want and transfer them a second time to the photo app.
If that's not enough the remote shoot on the app is disabled, if you want to remote shoot and control the camera, a person should download a web app, you can cash the app for later use, but if you don't have the app on your phone, good luck with that, you'll have to go back to the user manual figure out the link for the web app and download it. Most other cameras that use a webserver , the webserver resides on the camera, so when you connect to the camera's IP address the webserver fires up on your browser and you are good to go. Downloading pictures with the web app is a another painful experience, you download the picture to your browser and then you right click to save, no batch or modified download. It is such a shame because the GR is such a great camera but obviously Ricoh didn't spend the time or energy at developing the WiFi solution. I hope someone from Ricoh is reading this, they need to fix that issue quickly or there's no reason to buy the II over the original
08-02-2015, 07:12 AM   #4

Totally agree with you, got my GR II a week ago.
Great camera for the size, my two main complaints:
- needs good light by that I mean that high ISO shots are not very consistent. The noise can be fine (looks like film grain) and sometimes look awful, some sort of reduction compression, not sure why... I shoot RAW with NR off, ND off. And I don't even push it over 3200. I come from Canon pro (bodies,lenses) and other than that I'm very happy with the camera. Funny though, with my canon's I can shoot super crisp handheld at 1/30s with a 24mm, with the Ricoh anything below 1/250s is hit and miss...need to work on my technique for such a small thing.
- Second thing: the wifi, the "image sync" app for IOS is just awful. As Haddadlf said, transfering photos is a pain. Doesn't do live transfer, meaning you take a shot and it should automatically transfers to your device. The other web app, "GR Remote" is fine when connected to cellular or wifi but does not work if in the "bush" even with the cache version.

I also thought about sending it back to RICOH and get the GR instead but as it is only a software issue I hope they'll get some better app developers for next update, should not be too difficult.
Ricoh, are you listening?

08-02-2015, 07:46 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This post is #6 in a Search using the terms "ricoh grII wifi".

WiFI on the GRII seems best intended for operating the camera remotely; then secondly for transferring individual photos to the 'Device' for posting to social media or other use. Transferring batches of photos (especially RAW files) is always best accomplished using a tethered connection anyway.

Here are the manuals. They're pretty clear about intended uses and operation of WiFi. I'm not so sure I understand why this is such a big deal.

Ricoh GRII User Manual
GR Remote Setup
GR Remote Operating Manual
08-02-2015, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
This post is #6 in a Search using the terms "ricoh grII wifi".

WiFI on the GRII seems best intended for operating the camera remotely; then secondly for transferring individual photos to the 'Device' for posting to social media or other use. Transferring batches of photos (especially RAW files) is always best accomplished using a tethered connection anyway.

Here are the manuals. They're pretty clear about intended uses and operation of WiFi. I'm not so sure I understand why this is such a big deal.

Ricoh GRII User Manual
GR Remote Setup
GR Remote Operating Manual
Thanks for pitching in, it is a big deal for me because I'm used to transfer some pics to share with friends and social media, and I can not do that on Android, and on ios it takes such an effort that it is not even worth it, if you install WiFi on a camera and bill it as an update, then you should take the time to develop something usable, their apps are useless at best and 10 years behind the time, its kin to buying a luxury car where the you have to manually crank the windows open, and half the windows don't work. As far as the remote control solution it is anemic. Don't get me wrong, I love the camera , that's the third Ricoh I own, I'm just disappointed that they did not live up to their standards
08-02-2015, 08:12 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Haddadlf Quote
Thanks for pitching in, it is a big deal for me because I'm used to transfer some pics to share with friends and social media, and I can not do that on Android, and on ios it takes such an effort that it is not even worth it, if you install WiFi on a camera and bill it as an update, then you should take the time to develop something usable, their apps are useless at best and 10 years behind the time, its kin to buying a luxury car where the you have to manually crank the windows open, and half the windows don't work. As far as the remote control solution it is anemic. Don't get me wrong, I love the camera , that's the third Ricoh I own, I'm just disappointed that they did not live up to their standards
I think your opinion is a bit extreme. The app is not useless. It does precisely what they say it does; control the camera remotely and transfer individual images remotely.

Perhaps you should have kept your GR and chosen a camera better suited to social media sharing and less designed for outstanding image quality, controls and functions (DSLR-level) in a shirt-pocket package.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-02-2015 at 04:35 PM.
08-02-2015, 09:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Haddadlf Quote
Once you successfully downloaded the pictures,they download to the app, on the Android there's no way to get the pictures to use them, they reside in the app, I think you can share them on FB, but they do not show up in your photos, can't email edit or txt them, Nada. On the ios platform, you have to reselect whatever pics you want and transfer them a second time to the photo app.
It's possible that whichever directory they store the photos in on Android, they created a ".nomedia" file in there so the photos don't show up in the Gallery app. Or for some phones or directories, the Gallery app simply don't scan there.

While it's not an excuse for poor written App for GR, the couple others I used from other manufacture all seem to have strange limitations which is very annoying.
08-02-2015, 10:06 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If it uses the same Image Sync app as the K-S2, then you should be able to transfer files. Hold your finger down for 2 seconds on a thumbnail then tap on the button on the right (as shown below) to initiate the transfer:

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-02-2015, 05:56 PM   #10

Original Poster
Correct, I see that feature but same in your screen capture saving to the phone is not an option. You either have FB, delete or transfer which is greyed out, the phone or tablet icon that shows up on the ios app is not available. I just stopped by BH Photo in NYC and bought an EyeFi mobi card and I'm downloading without frustration
08-03-2015, 03:22 AM   #11

I don't think Haddadlf comment is "a bit extreme".
When you download the "Image sync" app from iTunes store, it clearly states that you can directly remote shoot from the app, well you can't and instead you have to use GR Remote (a web app). At least the app description should be updated if the app isn't, just saying… BTW last update (1.0.4) was posted on the 13th of july to support the GRII so it's all very new.

I think lots of people will not understand why you have to first transfer the images to the app folder (totally invisible btw), then to your device camera roll. Also not being able to quickly multi-select images.
Live transfer would have been a great plus but that's another story. Battery problem I suppose.

GR Remote works well when connected to the internet, no problem there. There is also a Cache version which is supposed to work when offline, great when you're traveling, camera trap, etc… but so far I could not get it to work ...always needs to be connected to cellular while wifi connected to camera.

I truely believe that they should make a better app system, user-friendly. I'm sure they will.
Sad to say but in the meantime I'm also back on Eyefi for transferring files.

Not trying to diss the camera, it's the best I've had in that size but in Europe you pay 799 euro for the GRII, and can get the GR for 500 so potential buyers should know about the wifi thing. Maybe people should wait until updates are made.
08-04-2015, 08:00 PM   #12

I've got the newest 32 GB Eyefi card for $50 if someone wants it. The GR II s working exactly as expected transferring and remote usage on my iPhone.
08-04-2015, 09:05 PM - 1 Like   #13
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There's a new firmware update today. Hope it solves your problems.

Latest GR II Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
08-05-2015, 06:20 AM   #14

Thanks JPT, updated the firmware and Image Sync to version 1.0.5, that solved my GR Remote issue. I can now use it to operate the GRII with my phone even with no cellular network ;-)
Image Sync is the same though ;-( Transfer of DNGs to the device still not possible and why having to transfer the shots to the app first, then to the camera roll? Just adding an unnecessary step to the process, beats me... But I have to say I'm more and more pleased with what this thing is made for: photography. Image quality with proper lighting conditions is just spot on.
08-05-2015, 10:13 AM   #15

I have got my gr ii today and the web remote working well in my note 4 chrome. But I have the problem to transfer the photo to my phone using image sync app, this app is totally lag and slow! And I got very frustrated on it. This is my first WiFi camera and I looking forward to get my image transferred easily to Mt phone but the app is totally disappointing.