Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2015, 09:39 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The future of GR cameras?

As for me, I'd like to see three directions of future GR cameras

1. FF GR with 28 mm lens - WR model
2. 24 MP APS-C GR with new 18/2.8 lens and tilting LCD - WR model
3. 24 MP APS-C GR with short zoom - 24-50, for example - WR model.

Maybe, Ricoh could hear such ideas...

Offer your ideas, but without any fantastic wishes. Pragmatic and close to reality.

10-30-2015, 09:45 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1 #1 Direct head to head competition for Sony RX1 - WR for those hardy street shooters is a nice touch.
10-30-2015, 09:58 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I'd like to see more lens options like what Sigma does. I think staying with APS-C is fine.

If they can bring 3 models with 28mm, 35mm and 50mm equivalents, they should at least add one with a 40 or 43mm f1.8 equivalent. But a 35mm f2 would be better. I bet a lot of people would look for one of these models, for night street photography.
10-30-2015, 10:41 AM   #4
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I'd like to see more lens options like what Sigma does. I think staying with APS-C is fine.

If they can bring 3 models with 28mm, 35mm and 50mm equivalents, they should at least add one with a 40 or 43mm f1.8 equivalent. But a 35mm f2 would be better. I bet a lot of people would look for one of these models, for night street photography.
Good idea. But 28 mm with WR is more attractive for me than 35 of Sony or Fuji.

11-11-2015, 02:52 AM   #5

I like your ideas! Although a tilting screen is not something what I would prefer. It makes the camera bigger, and the current WiFi implementation makes it easy to use your smartphone as an additional screen. If I want to make a shot from a difficult angle, I just take the camera in one hand, and use my phone in the other hand for composing and shooting :-)
11-11-2015, 05:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

A GR with a FF sensor and 43mm ~f1.9 lens would be amazing. Never going to happen but that would be just the perfect walk around lens, much like my FA43 on the MZ-S......

As a fan of the Sigma DP cameras, the DP2 series caters for that but its just the workflow/speed that made me put the DP1X/DP3M down and get back with Pentax.

11-28-2015, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hoopsontoast Quote
A GR with a FF sensor and 43mm ~f1.9 lens would be amazing. Never going to happen but that would be just the perfect walk around lens, much like my FA43 on the MZ-S......

As a fan of the Sigma DP cameras, the DP2 series caters for that but its just the workflow/speed that made me put the DP1X/DP3M down and get back with Pentax.

Put that FA43 on an MZ-3 and you've got a ridiculously tiny/light package with pretty much the same functionality.
Quite honestly, I'd certainly snap up a full-frame 35mm variant of the GR series (well, maybe). But then again.... the IQ of the current iterations really don't leave that much to be desired at the end of the day IMO.

12-10-2015, 07:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Keep it pretty much the way it is. Full frame is just going to make the camera bigger. Besides, most shooters like it for street photography, where thin DOF isn't really wanted.

Weather sealing, better screen.
12-10-2015, 08:03 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I love my gen-5 GR. It's fantastic for street photography and good for all other types. I can even get decent insect "macro" with it (nowhere near 1:1 but that's okay)

WR would be nice.

16mp is adequate for the way I use the GR, but 24mp gives extra leeway for cropping distant subjects. 24mp also means less risk of moire.

Better low light. My GR is much noisier than the K5 at ISO 800+.

The existing 18/2.8 lens is fine with me. It's incredibly sharp.
12-10-2015, 08:39 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery
FF or APSC GR ILC with a fast compact pancake lens. This could replace the Q and that hideous brick that was sold a few years back. WR should be a given. I absolutely love my GR. If given the choice, I would buy an ILC version, or a 3 pack of different focal lengths, over the soon to be released FF. The user interface simply rocks, but I would actually welcome a slight increase in size to make it a little less crowded yet still be pocketable. I sincerely hope Ricoh never abandons the GR.
12-10-2015, 09:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I don't they they will abandon it anytime soon. As far as I know, it's a pretty big hit, especially in China.
12-15-2015, 10:58 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

24mp APS-C 28mm f/2.8 with SR would be my main realistic wish list.

WR? Sure.

But above all, do not make it any thicker! Maybe that's why there's no SR, even though the GRDIV had it with the smaller sensor. Lack of EVF doesn't bother me personally for this type of cam.
02-02-2016, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #13

What Ricoh did with the GR II was a big disappointment - taking the GR and just adding wifi and a couple other basically worthless features is NOT how you go about building on top of a strong product. Releasing that camera was nothing more than a lazy way to raise the cost of the camera to its original price.

The GR already has a big sensor for its size and the image quality is more than enough for most photographer's needs. More megapixels would be nice but isn't really necessary at this point. A full frame sensor would just increase the seize of the camera, and the size of the GR is partly what makes it so great. An f/2 lens would also be great but again, if it increased the size of the camera it wouldn't be worth it.

What really needs to be improved is the focus speed and low light/high ISO capabilities.

Hopefully the GR line continues to be relevant because it's an amazing camera. But unless they add some legitimate new features in its future models cameras like Fuji's x70 could give Ricoh a run for its money.
02-02-2016, 01:15 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blast Quote
What Ricoh did with the GR II was a big disappointment - taking the GR and just adding wifi and a couple other basically worthless features is NOT how you go about building on top of a strong product. Releasing that camera was nothing more than a lazy way to raise the cost of the camera to its original price.

The GR already has a big sensor for its size and the image quality is more than enough for most photographer's needs. More megapixels would be nice but isn't really necessary at this point. A full frame sensor would just increase the seize of the camera, and the size of the GR is partly what makes it so great. An f/2 lens would also be great but again, if it increased the size of the camera it wouldn't be worth it.

What really needs to be improved is the focus speed and low light/high ISO capabilities.

Hopefully the GR line continues to be relevant because it's an amazing camera. But unless they add some legitimate new features in its future models cameras like Fuji's x70 could give Ricoh a run for its money.
The X70 is going to be tough competition for the GR (similar price) but it's not the only competition.

My boss went to a store to buy a Ricoh GR but walked out with an A6000 + Sony 20mm f2.8 because he thought the viewfinder would make up for the difference in size (and the fact that the GR lens is better).

I think adding an EVF to the GR would make a ton of sense. Or an in-body OVF (not mirror based).
02-02-2016, 05:31 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
My boss went to a store to buy a Ricoh GR but walked out with an A6000 + Sony 20mm f2.8 because he thought the viewfinder would make up for the difference in size (and the fact that the GR lens is better).

Oh, yuk, that's a horrible lens - I have it, Christian.

It's about the size of a lens cap and has the optics of one, too.