Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2015, 01:12 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
GR II and dust

Any one who has GR II i have a question; how is dust problem?

11-19-2015, 03:12 AM   #2

As far as I know there have been a few problems with it. Mine after a few days started to turn itself off for no reason. I called the customer service center and the man I spoke to was rude and poo pooed me about the dust issue. Should I buy another one?.......
01-16-2016, 09:00 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by planthi80 Quote
As far as I know there have been a few problems with it. Mine after a few days started to turn itself off for no reason. I called the customer service center and the man I spoke to was rude and poo pooed me about the dust issue. Should I buy another one?.......
I have been interested in the GR....and the GR ll. The dust issue, I have read about from owners of the GR is the main concern I haven't made a purchase. I'm still not convinced that Ricoh has it fixed on the latest model, the GR ll.

I'm hoping that GR ll owners will respond to this thread to let others know if the dust issue is a thing of the past.

In addition, the customer service response to this owner, is to say the least not an encouraging sign for those who are considering this camera. Company support is mandatory to me.
01-23-2016, 08:23 PM   #4

I don't want to hijack the thread but has anyone had experience with preventing dust by taping up the GR with gaffer tape? Or, I assume most dust is coming from the front element?

01-24-2016, 03:49 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by withfilm Quote
I don't want to hijack the thread but has anyone had experience with preventing dust by taping up the GR with gaffer tape? Or, I assume most dust is coming from the front element?
wonít help
The main dust intake is through the lens, itís working like pump pushing dust on to the sensor.
01-24-2016, 04:19 AM - 1 Like   #6

Dust is a pretty obvious issue. IF it happpens, warrenty repair should not be a problem. I shoot a GR and take no special precautions to prevent dust. I have not had a problem yet. If you took an extra step and kept it in a case or pouch, you would eliminate any potential problems. If you think it would be a great camera, then buy it and shoot it. To not do so because of some vague/debated issue seems a bit overly cautious.
01-25-2016, 04:12 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by indy Quote
Dust is a pretty obvious issue. IF it happpens, warrenty repair should not be a problem. I shoot a GR and take no special precautions to prevent dust. I have not had a problem yet. If you took an extra step and kept it in a case or pouch, you would eliminate any potential problems. If you think it would be a great camera, then buy it and shoot it. To not do so because of some vague/debated issue seems a bit overly cautious.
Problem is i already have GR, itís beaten up, regular needs sensor cleaning, but still works so i cannot justify buying new GR II until i have more convincing points.
01-25-2016, 11:04 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Problem is i already have GR, itís beaten up, regular needs sensor cleaning, but still works so i cannot justify buying new GR II until i have more convincing points.
Good luck with your quest then. I doubt Ricoh will ever address what may or may not be an actual issue. I'm glad to not be in your shoes with my GR. Hopefully with time, users will unanimously agree that there is no dust issue with the GRII.

01-29-2016, 03:26 AM   #9
Forum Member

I couldn't recognize any dust spots on my pictures up to now, but my GR II is only 4 month old.

To me it would be interesting to know, how you treat your Ricoh GR or GR II and in what environment you use it, to see if there is a difference between those who have the dust-problem and those who have not.

When I go out with my GR II (or other compact camera) I usually carry it unprotected in the pocket of my jacket, so that I can get it out for use very fast. In summer, when I do not wear a jacket, I have a very small and unremarkable leather shoulder bag or I carry it unprotected in my hand. I do not carry it in the pockets of my pants. If I transport it, I use a x-wrap for protection.