Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2015, 05:20 AM   #1

Ricoh GR buy or not to buy...

Hello.

I am from germany.

I had a gr for a few days for a short test and it's really a fine camera. But I have some questions or thoughts, which kept me from buying one till today.
Now the price is down because of the gr II (which I don't need) and I'm still "fighting with me" to buy or not to buy...

Till now, I take my photos with a fuji x20 and I fear, I'll miss a viewfinder at the ricoh - especially when it's very sunny. Also I love to make macro photos
from little flowers (orchids) and I don't know, if the ricoh can manage this. The most important thing is...
...the dust problem.

Before I got my x20, I had a ricoh cx1, which got a dust problem after 1 year in use. Then I replaced it with a rx5, which also got one after nearly a year.
And I heard (and read) a lot about dust problems with the gr1.

I don't want to buy a camera again, which become unusable after a short time. And for me it seems, that it's typically ricoh problem?! I never had such
a case with another type (canon, fuji) till now.

When I would buy a ricoh, I'd also buy a wide angle converter later, because I really want to take landscape photos in wide angle.

Can you give me some decision hints or a good hint to buy or not? What's about the dust problem with the gr II. Is it better. Or are the "newer" gr cameras
better at all?

Regards

lunarchild

11-17-2015, 06:42 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Save money, get GR II. Basically same as GR but WiFi and no dust problem(not reported yet) are big pluses.
Macro is good, but be prepared to focus in manual mode. As for x20 comparison GR is better to compare to x100 line. x100 and GR are big APS-C sensors same as Pentax K5IIs DSLR, thou GR is pocketable. GR build like tank, my personal dust problem begun after my GR hit concert form 2 meter hight, witch made small crack no side of GR.
11-17-2015, 07:04 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hmm. The GR II ist much more expensive than the GR (here) and I do not need WIFI. Is the dust problem really gone with the GR II?
11-17-2015, 07:52 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I really don't know no one reported yet.
Wifi is nice feature as there is no wired(there are but really rear) or IR remote shutter release for GR. With wifi you can use your phone to be as remote.

11-17-2015, 08:00 AM   #5
KDD
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Viewfinder is so important.
11-25-2015, 02:18 AM   #6

Original Poster
One question...

What are the differences between the gw-1, gw-2 and gw-2 wide angle converter? I mean, which one is good for the gr?
11-28-2015, 12:54 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure why you're fussing so much. If you really liked it, go ahead and pick one up. You can mount a 28mm viewfinder on it if you want (even one of those old russian turret types) and simply turn off the rear LCD display and shoot old-school style. I've had the original GR (5) since it was released and have never had a dust problem - I keep mine in a case or sunglass pouch at all times when I'm not using it - perhaps that has helped. Just take care of it. At any rate - the GR II isn't that much more camera than the GR - just conveniences that don't really matter in the end. The GR is fantastic... I've never had a camera that small that can give me shots like this:

---------- Post added 11-28-15 at 12:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lunarchild Quote
One question...

What are the differences between the gw-1, gw-2 and gw-2 wide angle converter? I mean, which one is good for the gr?
Yes - this is confusing. The GW-1 and GW-2 cannot be used with the Ricoh GR. They are both wide angle conversion lenses but they are for previous versions from the GR line.

** The GW-1 is for use with the "Ricoh GR Digital" and "Ricoh GR Digital II" (also known as the GRD1 and GRD2, respectively)
** The GW-2 is intended for the "Ricoh GR Digital III" and "Ricoh GR Digital IV" (also known as the GRD3 and GRD4, respectively)

The CORRECT 21mm wide-angle for the current GR and GRII models (aps-c sized sensor cameras) is the GW-3. I own it and it works wonderfully.

These are not interchangeable due to changes in the lens and sensor between the camera models from the first GRD1 up through the current models.
The cameras were further based on the GR film series cameras from the 1990s (which are also fantastic).

Here is the history of the line which covers all the cameras except for the two current versions (the GR and GRII).
https://gr.ricoh-imaging.eu/en/gr-history.html

Hope this helps sort out the spiderweb.

Last edited by chickentender; 11-28-2015 at 01:09 PM.