Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-13-2016, 04:50 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Barresian Quote
Can anybody recommend some article, video or similar about shooting at 28mm? How to do it and what it's good or bad for? (besides the obvious imposibility for classic portraits and shooting wild bears). Found some interesting but rather superficial material.
The GR lens is actually an 18mm, just a friendly reminder Same as your 18-55mm kit lens at 18mm.

The field of view corresponds to that of a 28mm on full-frame.

QuoteOriginally posted by Barresian Quote
The Sony RX100 has been mentioned. I know the IQ difference is going to be important between both cameras, but how good is the RX? For example, compared to my K10 with the 35 DA, is there going to be a lot of difference? If I can get near to that with the Sony I think I'd be happy.
At low ISOs the two will probably be neck-and-neck, and you'll probably get better JPEGs thanks to the more modern engine in the Sony. At higher ISOs the Pentax should pull ahead a bit. Notice how generational differences are counteracting the sensor size advantage.

According to DxO sensor test scores, the RX100 has the same overall score, same color depth, slightly better dynamic range, but slightly worse high-iso performance.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 vs Pentax K10D

If you were to upgrade to a K-5, on the other hand, you'd blow the RX100 out of the water because it has a more modern sensor.

Here's a sample from the RX100, hand-held at base ISO:

ISO 1000:

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-14-2016, 01:48 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The GR lens is actually an 18mm, just a friendly reminder Same as your 18-55mm kit lens at 18mm.

The field of view corresponds to that of a 28mm on full-frame.

At low ISOs the two will probably be neck-and-neck, and you'll probably get better JPEGs thanks to the more modern engine in the Sony. At higher ISOs the Pentax should pull ahead a bit. Notice how generational differences are counteracting the sensor size advantage.

According to DxO sensor test scores, the RX100 has the same overall score, same color depth, slightly better dynamic range, but slightly worse high-iso performance.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 vs Pentax K10D

If you were to upgrade to a K-5, on the other hand, you'd blow the RX100 out of the water because it has a more modern sensor.

Here's a sample from the RX100, hand-held at base ISO:

ISO 1000:
Yes....and doesn't the GR have the same sensor as the K5? It certainly puts my k7 to shame!
01-29-2016, 05:18 AM   #18
webstertomkins

Both, Coolpix A and the Ricoh GR II are very good compact cameras. I think the difference is in handling, usability and speed. If you look at the rear of the Nikon for example, you will see, that there are buttons on both sides of the display. The Ricoh you can easily operate one-handed. Adj-, FN-Keys and the My-Modes offers great opportunities.

I love my GR II very much. I do not feel, that the 28mm are a limitation. After a while, there comes a feeling for the situations and you will find creative ways to make good shots with this lens. But at the end, everyone is different and it's your decision.

I did not care about the so called dust issue too much. I don't want to say, that it did not exist. Some people definetly have this issue, but you do not know how many did not have this issue but didn't post this in a forum. If I will get a problem with dust, I will try to send it to Ricoh for repair. As long as I do not have the issue, I enjoy this great little camera.

I also live in Germany an I ordered my GR II online. The price was not too bad.