Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2016, 11:53 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
New version of GRII

Any ideas on if/when the next model will be released and what new features it might have?

I am thinking of buying one but want to know what might be planned for 2016.

Thx

01-24-2016, 12:16 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Working from a two year cycle you could expect something in mid-2017. I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest, without any insider knowledge and based on total fantasy a GR FF, but at fraction of the price of the Sony RX1Rii; or more realistically, weather sealed, touchscreen, discrete EVF and current K3 sensor with stabilisation.

Last edited by officiousbystander; 01-24-2016 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Additional spec.
01-24-2016, 02:42 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh has been pretty consistent with the 2-year release cycle, so 2017 is also when I'd expect something new.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-24-2016, 11:16 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The next GR model might not be out until next year. Don't hesitate to buy one now.

The GRii only added a few minor features like wifi. Photo quality is identical to the prior 16mp GR. If those updates aren't essential for you, look for a discounted GR instead of the GRii.

01-24-2016, 01:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
Working from a two year cycle you could expect something in mid-2017. I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest, without any insider knowledge and based on total fantasy a GR FF, but at fraction of the price of the Sony RX1Rii; or more realistically, weather sealed, touchscreen, discrete EVF and current K3 sensor with stabilisation.
I beg your pardon and no intent to be rude, but what do you mean by a GR FF with the K3 sensor ???
01-24-2016, 02:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
I beg your pardon and no intent to be rude, but what do you mean by a GR FF with the K3 sensor ???
I think they said the FF or the K3 sensor.
01-24-2016, 02:11 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
It's speculation about two distinct possible updates: one FF or one APSC.
01-24-2016, 02:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clockworkrat Quote
I think they said the FF or the K3 sensor.
OK, OK, no problem, but one thing is what I "think" another thing is what I read !!

02-04-2016, 08:19 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
SR on an 18/28mm lens? Why? You can hand hold down to 1/15 or 1/20 easily. Why would you want this? It just adds expense and complications. If it was an ILC or a longer fixed focal length it would get it, but not with the current focal length. I know they had it with the previous smaller sensor model, but I think the sr mktg hype was not worth the $$ when they moved to a crop sensor.
02-05-2016, 01:25 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by indy Quote
SR on an 18/28mm lens? Why? You can hand hold down to 1/15 or 1/20 easily. Why would you want this? It just adds expense and complications.
I absolutely agree with that, concerning the SR.

I think, that a full-frame Sensor is not really realistic for the next GR-Model. Weather sealed would be nice, but a touchscreen is something I definetly would not like to have. For me the philosophy of the GR's is to reduce to the important functions for photography and to keep it simple.