Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2016, 01:24 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by millmeister Quote
These were shot in RAW. I did some post-processing in Lightroom.
To be honest I haven't spent much time experimenting with the Detail settings in Lightroom. Below are the settings I used for the attached images. Thank you for your suggestions - this has given me a much better idea of what I should be doing...
My pleasure Looking at your settings, Masking is the first thing I'd deal with, and 50 is a good starting point. For Noise Reduction, keep the Color settings as they are, and go for the lowest Luminance setting you can get away with to achieve an acceptable result when viewed at, say, 1:2 reproduction. Frankly, I think you'll find your images look just fine at 1:2 reproduction without *any* noise reduction, but if you feel you need some, start at Luminance 10 and slowly going up until you reach a level you're happy with. As a general rule, I don't go above 25 - but there have been rare occasions where I've gone up to 40 or even 50, on very high ISO images where fine detail wasn't an issue.

02-13-2016, 02:21 PM   #17
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A small amount of noise is normal at those ISOs, and boosting the exposure will make it slightly more visible.

Fortunately it's really easy to eliminate, either during raw development as someone mentioned previously, or using an advanced noise-reduction program like Topaz DeNoise , etc.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-13-2016, 02:32 PM   #18
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
LR has fairly good noise removal, but I'll give a big "thumbs up" for Topaz DeNoise.