Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2016, 01:16 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Announcement no one is talking about: Macro converter GM-1

Hi! The other day when Ricoh announced the limited-edition silver GR II, they also announced a new macro converter called GM-1 (man, Panasonic's gotta be a little peeved with these product names...GH-3, GM-1...). Here are the specs from Ricoh's Japanese site:

Shooting distance is approx. 4 - 8.5 cm. Hood and Adapter (GH-3) are required to use this lens.

12,800 (approx. $108 USD)

Link to Ricoh JP Online Store, with more photos of the GM-1: ????????????? GM-1: ???????? | RICOH IMAGING

What do you think?

02-21-2016, 02:57 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It was promoted along with the GR (and GRII) firmware updates in these pages. I'm surprised how cheap it is considering the wide angle adapter is quite expensive. This could be quite fun addition. It's on pre-order now at B&H.
02-21-2016, 04:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You're right that it wasn't completely unreported, but the mainstream photo press like DPR or Photorumors didn't mention this new accessory anywhere I saw.

The question I have for the GR faithful is...did the GR really need improved close-up capabilities? I've used the stock lens setup as a macro-ish solution a few times and it's great if you crop in a little bit. I've always wanted the wide converter, but I've held off because it's big and completely changes the camera's handling characteristics. I'm afraid that this conversion lens might be the same way. Thoughts?
02-21-2016, 05:02 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have the accessory OVF and the lens hood filter attachment but don't use them because they're at odds with the easy carry quick shooting rationale of the camera. If I'm going to fuss around with two bayonet attachments I may as well take my DSLR. What's interesting is this new accessory suggests Ricoh is committed to this camera over a few more model iterations.

02-23-2016, 02:31 PM   #5

Wow - thanks for sharing, I definitely had missed this new development.

So, Ricoh GR is already focusing quite closely in macro mode - even closer with the GW-3. I guess this adapter will increase the magnification ratio, so the subject would look much bigger in the frame.