Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What are the most important components to improve in the GR III
Sensor 2051.28%
Lens 923.08%
Shooting Controls 615.38%
Image Files and Processing 410.26%
Other 2051.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2016, 12:55 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I think the major reason people have had dust problems is the nature of putting the GR in your pocket. Just a guess. But weather sealing the GR is a no brainer. With the hood on it really could be weather sealed.

One thing that has to be factored in for a view finder is the next generation LCD, OLED which brings the level of clarity even higher that a need for a "viewfinder" is diminished. After all the LCD is the viewfinder.

The size of the GR is just right. Tampering with it unless it is to make it smaller shouldn't be the direction. The OLED screens are slimmer which could make it possible to have both a "screen" and a "viewfinder".

For me Ricoh needs to fix the GR controls. The adj./lever causes the GR to be unreliable. It should be the same as the front wheel. They can still have a wheel pushable like the lever.

08-02-2016, 02:04 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Improved screen visibility in sunlight. I strongly prefer using a viewfinder/DSLR than a screen. Because the GR is my walkabout & holiday camera, it is often used in bright conditions, holding the camera at a distance, squinting at the screen.
Change the sensor to have a 14-bit depth.
I prefer a 16MP sensor as this will give greater scope to pull back shadows and use at higher ISO than a smaller pixel pitch.
WR of some sort will be nice.
Please ** never** think about removing the tripod thread to save weight, add function. I often use it on a small carbon monopod and the image quality improves a lot, especially in low light.

Otherwise, it's a very nice camera. GRiii could be even better ...
08-14-2016, 10:08 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Now that I've used the GR for a few weeks I'll have to revise my list bit. I still want a "flip up" type screen to make waist level shooting easier, but I really can't say I miss a viewfinder. That has come as quite a surprise to me...

So, my list now would be:
1. WR!
2. Better battery stamina
3. Flip-up screen (if it can be done at no size penalty)
4. A slightly longer lens, but same condition as the point above.
5. A possibility to set the shutter speed threshold for Auto ISO in the same manner you can for Auto-Hi. A fairly simple firmware fix, really.

The only "must" is WR sealing, though.

08-26-2016, 08:54 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Redesign so dut inside the camera is not an issue anymore. I've read numerous posts about this and it has been the reason why I have not got one.

08-27-2016, 01:26 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Redesign so dut inside the camera is not an issue anymore. I've read numerous posts about this and it has been the reason why I have not got one.
This dust issue has never bothered me and I use my GR a lot. Two things: I keep it in a thin draw string, neoprene bag in my pocket and I casually look at the outside of the lens before it retreats into the body for obvious dust when I've been in a dusty environment. If I got dust, it would be a post issue to deal with if it was obvious. So yes, fix it if possible, but maybe it might come at a cost which we may not appreciate. I wonder how many other cameras where the lens retreats into the body are prone to dust ? I'd guess most ...
08-27-2016, 03:33 AM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
This dust issue has never bothered me and I use my GR a lot. Two things: I keep it in a thin draw string, neoprene bag in my pocket and I casually look at the outside of the lens before it retreats into the body for obvious dust when I've been in a dusty environment. If I got dust, it would be a post issue to deal with if it was obvious. So yes, fix it if possible, but maybe it might come at a cost which we may not appreciate. I wonder how many other cameras where the lens retreats into the body are prone to dust ? I'd guess most ...
It seems to be a common problem with e.g the RX100, but that's hardly a reason for not trying to avoid it being an issue with the next GR. Yes, it's mostly fairly easy to fix in post, but it means you can't use the images without pay processing,and that's a shame.

I'm considering opening it and cleaning it myself, but I see a have quite a few hot pixels as well (on long exposures). Since the GR (unlike the GR II) doesn't have any built-in remapping I might send it in for service instead.
08-27-2016, 06:00 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
I have a Canon G12...an advanced compact camera, similar to the GR.... where the lens retreats into the body. I've had it since January 2011 and used it an awful lot. Not even a speck of dust in all that time.
08-29-2016, 01:09 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Ricoh should unleash 14-bit files for the GR. It really does boast the dynamic range. There is a noticeable difference between the K-01 12 bit 16mp files and the K-5 14 bit 16mp files. I wish they could do if for the current GRII.

With OLED screens a flip out screen is a possibility.

People wanting a view finder can use an optical view finder with the GR. It is an accessory option. At the end of life of the original APS-C GR the optical viewfinder was being offered for free. Which works on the GRII also. I used the similar setup with a Sigma DP2 with the optical viewfinder. It actually worked very well together. I didn't find it to cumbersome using the accessory and it gives exactly what people are looking for that want an eye level viewfinder.

For conserving space using a micro-SD card slot is a serious consideration as it could allow for room like EVF or larger battery.

The Samsung 28mp BSI CMOS sensor would be an excellent upgrade for the GR. Or even the Sigma Foveon sensor as this gives the same clarity that pixel shift brings without having to use sensor shake reduction.

08-29-2016, 01:19 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In my wait for the GRiii, I decided to pick up the 1st gen fuji x100. I got it for $400 from KEH refurbished and with a warranty. While 23mm isn't as wide as a GR, and isn't weather sealed like I hope GRiii is, it doesn't have the dust issues of the GR. So in the mean time, I'll rock this older camera waiting for the GR I want to show up.
08-30-2016, 01:56 AM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
In my wait for the GRiii, I decided to pick up the 1st gen fuji x100. I got it for $400 from KEH refurbished and with a warranty. While 23mm isn't as wide as a GR, and isn't weather sealed like I hope GRiii is, it doesn't have the dust issues of the GR. So in the mean time, I'll rock this older camera waiting for the GR I want to show up.
A sweet camera - and I think I would prefer a 23mm lens over 18mm - but it's considerably bigger and heavier than the GR. A formidable camera, though. Congrats
08-30-2016, 04:42 AM   #26
Pentaxian

As an owner of the Sigma DP1X (~28mm equivalent APS-C compact), previously a DP3M (~75mm equivalent APS-C compact) and a massive fan of the FA43.....

I would love a 28mm/43mm equivalent APS-C compact, it would make a pretty perfect walk around combo with the GR series.

I keep meaning to pick up a GR as a replacement for my DP1X, its getting a bit long in the teeth and 4.5mp output, sharp as it is, is a bit of a step back from my 36mp K-1

On a GRIII, I would say WR would be the main thing to add for me that would sway me over a used GR or GRII.
08-30-2016, 05:11 AM   #27
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hoopsontoast Quote
As an owner of the Sigma DP1X (~28mm equivalent APS-C compact), previously a DP3M (~75mm equivalent APS-C compact) and a massive fan of the FA43.....

I would love a 28mm/43mm equivalent APS-C compact, it would make a pretty perfect walk around combo with the GR series.

I keep meaning to pick up a GR as a replacement for my DP1X, its getting a bit long in the teeth and 4.5mp output, sharp as it is, is a bit of a step back from my 36mp K-1

On a GRIII, I would say WR would be the main thing to add for me that would sway me over a used GR or GRII.
Totally agree, 4.5mp is a bit limiting these days. Personally, 10mp is where I draw the line and meets my needs printing and digitally.

I have used 18mm and 23mm now, and can say both are wonderfully useful. While I love the wider fov on the GR, I am loving the 23mm fov as a more all purpose lens. I like it so much, that I may purchase the 21mm limited for my K-5iis.

I wouldn't say the x100 is a replacement for the GR by any means, it just does a really good job at what it does and fills a gap in my photography previously filled by my phone (yuck). I still am a GR fan, and eagerly wait for the GRiii to see what it delivers. I think enough of us have come to realize the limitations of the GR and if Ricoh is listening, then they will probably make the camera we all want and crave. Until then, I'll just keep this old x100.
08-30-2016, 06:46 AM   #28
Veteran Member

The Ricoh GR series going back to the film days has always been a 28mm field of view so I don't think they will change that. I would love to see Pentax make a compact APS-C that has a 28mm lens to give the ~43mm field of view.

One major flaw with the GR is the Adj-Lever. This has to be changed as it is to easily moved changing settings by accident.

The Fujifilm X100 is more like a rangefinder camera were the GR is a pocketable compact.

I think it is sad people are not buying the GR for some perceived dust problem.
08-30-2016, 11:16 AM   #29
Site Supporter

We must be doing something differently, because I find the Adj-lever working perfectly fine. No problems with accidental changes of ISO or the like. Not that I would oppose having a clickable wheel there instead of they can make it work well.

The dust problem is definitely more than perceived for me, but it still wouldn't keep me from buying it again. This camera is so good as it is. I can live with some extra postprocessing or a periodical cleaning. But WR would be a huge bonus.

08-30-2016, 08:42 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I shoot only in manual mode. The Adj-lever is always randomly changing the shutter speed as it is easily inadvertently moved. The nature of the Adj-lever you must look at the camera to make sure the setting is what you want. When I move the Adj-lever right or left to change the shutter speed often it moves two and three stops instead of one. With the camera turned on putting it in a coat pocket the Adj-lever is easily moved. A wheel makes so much better sense to mirror the front wheel. They can still have a wheel pushable to add such extended functionality.

I haven't seen any dust in my GRII. I haven't really looked either. I would purchase again even if I do get dust. The GR series due to it's small size is a carry all the time camera. Weather sealing will make it that much better.

I think going to micro-SD cards is a great solution for the GR to keep the size smaller. Frankly Ricoh/Pentax should move all their cameras to micro-SD if they are going to stick with SD over XQD format. Micro-SD cards have all the same specs as a regular SD card except at a fraction of the size. Just what Ricoh/Pentax needs to keep their cameras small. OLED screens will also help keep it small along with less power consumption. The Samsung 28mp BSI CMOS sensor would be a great fit.