Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What are the most important components to improve in the GR III
Sensor 2750.00%
Lens 1324.07%
Shooting Controls 611.11%
Image Files and Processing 59.26%
Other 3055.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
09-07-2016, 09:30 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The first and third iterations are the major sensor and lens upgrades, GRD I, GRD III, GR I, GR III, so I expect something interesting.

The GR I upgrade from the GRD IV was the doozy with the APSC sensor. So unless they do another doozy with full frame, the GR III upgrade will likely be a little more modest like the GRD III, so I'd say up the pixels to 24MP along with a slightly faster lens, maybe F2.4 or even F2.

09-08-2016, 05:45 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How about a non-proprietary USB cable?
09-08-2016, 10:49 AM   #33
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
How about a non-proprietary USB cable?
Ah, yes. Although it isn't as bad as I first thought. A lot of cameras use this USB/AV combination cable. I bought some extra on the 'net for a buck a piece.

But I still wish they could use a plain USB cable. Then I could get away with a single cable when travelling light. Then again, new phones will come with a USB-C cable anyway
09-14-2016, 08:18 PM - 4 Likes   #34
Veteran Member

Honestly, weather sealing is the only thing I need.

09-19-2016, 05:00 AM   #35
webstertomkins

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Honestly, weather sealing is the only thing I need.
I totally agree!
09-29-2016, 02:10 AM   #36

Nothing that increases the size or form factor. Its a pocket rocket and lets keep it that way. Its my favourire camera for that reason plus picture quality and snap focus.

I've read lots about dust issues but been lucky so far to not experience it but fixing that for peace of mind would be good. Maybe using a zip lock bag as my camera case has helped.
10-03-2016, 05:18 AM   #37

As a GR I (GR V) user, a former X100S user, and a travel adict user, I've my wish list for the GR III:

- WR. Or at least, dust sealed.

- Tilt screen. Not articulated/selfie/extendable screen, just tilt up and down.

- Filter thread. Yes, you can attach the hood adapter to get a 49mm filter thread, but... the camera with the adapter is BIG. I travel ultra-light: my GR in a pocket, a lightweight Ultrapod (45gr) and some filters (ND's, GND, polarized) in another pocket. But, how the hell could I put the hood adapter in my jean's pocket? I have to carry a small bag just for the hood adapter, it's crazy!

I think Ricoh can add an inset 37mm filter thread in front of the lens barrel, where are now the characters identifying the lens. That way, you can attach a filter without the hood adapter. Or you can attach an UV filter ir order to make it dust sealed.

Put off the ring, attach the hood adapter, and then the filter(s), to obtain a no-more-pocketeable camera. Or just attach the filter(s) to the front of the lens and voilá, adding just about 1.5mm width... Please, Ricoh, put the standard-not-bayonet filter thread in front of the lens!

- Move the "Effect" button to the top plate, near the shutter or the On/Off button. The current GR is 95% one-hand-driven, please, move that button to make it 99%.

- Equal OK to half-press shutter. When I'm rapidly changing the ISO, Effect, flash compensation... I want to half-press the shutter to accept the new setting and return to shoot mode. ALL my cameras had that behaviour... (or perhaps there is a setting about it that I've not seen?)

I'm happy with the sensor. I'd like an improvement of it, but not a must for the new GR III.

About the Adj-lever, I've had not problems at all with it, and I shoot mainly in TAv mode, but changing it into a wheel it's a smart idea.

10-04-2016, 09:21 PM - 1 Like   #38
r8n

Quote:
- Equal OK to half-press shutter. When I'm rapidly changing the ISO, Effect, flash compensation... I want to half-press the shutter to accept the new setting and return to shoot mode. ALL my cameras had that behaviour... (or perhaps there is a setting about it that I've not seen?)

Yes, the option is there in the Key Custom Options menu. Second from the bottom, "shutter button conformation"
Also another good one is "ADJ. direct ISO control" 6th item form the top in the same menu, love this feature.

HTH

Rick
10-05-2016, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #39
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
all weather with 14 bit 24 MP sensor and it's all
10-06-2016, 04:07 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
all weather with 14 bit 24 MP sensor and it's all
Agree. I wish they would allow the GRII to operate with 14bit files.

DPReview did a comparison of the 1st generation GR 12 bit files against the Nikon Coolpix A 14bit files and found that the Nikon had a slight advantage over the GR. From experience with the Pentax K-5 and K-01 which have similar 16MP sensors the K-5 14bit files have much better dynamic range than the K-01 12bit files. So if Ricoh could do the same magic with the GRII I wish they would allow 14bit files in a firmware update.

There is also the Samsung 28MP BSI APS-C sensor to consider.
10-09-2016, 11:18 AM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by r8n Quote
Quote:

Yes, the option is there in the Key Custom Options menu. Second from the bottom, "shutter button conformation"
Also another good one is "ADJ. direct ISO control" 6th item form the top in the same menu, love this feature.

HTH

Rick
Gaaaaa that was! I didn't realize what that setting was for! In fact, I've already set the "ADJ. direct ISO", but didn't "see" the other setting.

Now, I'm a little more happy with my GR thank you so much, Rick!
11-15-2016, 08:26 PM   #42

I'm new to the GR II and to photography in general so I don't really have any feedback on the features, but first things that come to my mind are:

- fast charge like it exists for mobiles. The camera is like made to be with you all the time so a quick charging time would be great, hence avoid backup battery.
- Non-proprietary USB cable, unless there is a fast charging advantage
- Weather or at least dust proof.
- 4k video (nice to have as even most basic smartphones have it nowadays.
02-08-2017, 08:04 PM   #43

1. I wish the new sensor has PDAF built-in
  2. faster AF in macro mode shorter startup time from power on to ready taking photo
  3. BTW when GR is shut off can you press review/replay button to see your photos?
  4. or you still need to press power on then press replay/review to see photos?
  5. if it's still the latter one, I wish it can be the former one.

Last edited by souless; 02-08-2017 at 09:19 PM.
02-09-2017, 01:59 AM   #44
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, you can view your pictures without turning on the camera. You can also enter the menus to change settings (button behavior and the like) from the picture viewing mode. Really neat.

@chraliebigpot - the cable isn't as non-standard as it seems. It's a usb/av combo cable that is used by several brands. That said, I would still prefer to have a micro usb one.
02-10-2017, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've considered getting a GR for a while. For a while I owned a Olympus XZ2, which I greatly enjoyed, I imagine the GRII to be a nice improvement on what was an already great camera experience.

My money is tight, but I could see an updated GR being high on my to buy list. Just a new sensor and or new seals and it'd be gold.

---------- Post added 02-10-17 at 10:50 AM ----------

Ha, I think it would be amazing if Ricoh also made a fixed lens medium format camera, much like the old 645 medium format range finders (Mamiya 6?) I realize this isn't happening, but what a camera it would be.