Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What are the most important components to improve in the GR III
Sensor 2050.00%
Lens 1025.00%
Shooting Controls 615.00%
Image Files and Processing 410.00%
Other 2050.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2016, 11:32 PM - 1 Like   #1

GR III wish list

I've now switched between Fuji and Ricoh for a second time in a few years, and I am convinced the current GR II is a very well designed and competitive imaging machine, but I am definitely hoping for a GR III within another year or two. So, here are my two cents worth for Ricoh’s design and engineering teams. If you’ve also used the GR series, let me know what you think.

I went into it in a bit more depth here, but the short list follows.

Do

…add high quality 14-bit raw file support, faster data handling and upgraded processing

…bump up the pixel density while also increasing the per pixel performance as long as the lens can handle it

…increase the AF speed a bit without sacrificing accuracy

…improve dust and drip sealing, if it does not negatively impact the crisp feel and performance of the shooting controls

…add iOS/Android app support for raw file wifi transfer and JPEG conversion

…increase video bit rate and improve the codec

Do not

…increase the dimensions and weight significantly

…decrease battery life

…drastically change the awesome lens design without some serious justifications

…change the well thought out shooting controls without a lot of validation work with outstanding photographers

…spend development money to add a huge number of rarely used in camera JPEG conversion options/filters when my phone can do it better

…spend development money to add 4k video unless it's really easy these days

Cheers!

Arejukas
at gerafotografija.wordpress.com

07-13-2016, 12:34 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I love my GR. I think I'd only upgrade to a speculative III if it was stolen or destroyed. If that did happen I would like a touch screen which only had a focus point select function and nothing else. Call me old fashioned but I still prefer dials and buttons to touch screen navigation. A tilting screen (but not articulated) could also be convenient but not at the expense of size or reliability. BTW if my GR was stolen or lost it's the only camera I have (and I have too many) which I'd replace straight away without a second's thought.

Last edited by officiousbystander; 07-13-2016 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Correction
07-13-2016, 03:22 AM   #3

Of course, I wish GR to have either FF sensor or 1,4 lens, but I do not want GR to be heavier or larger.

But to be serious - the only missing thing is WR.
07-13-2016, 07:43 AM   #4
Pentaxian

My wish would be simple: make the GR3 into a "mini K-5" that would use the same batteries, accessories, flash, etc.
i.e. one that would pair well with any modern Pentax K series.
Ideally it would have a 49mm filter holder too (to make it compatible with all those lovely limited lenses)
I'm ok with 28mm and 16Mp form factor, but I'm tired of all the incompatibility between systems.

Michael

Last edited by MJSfoto1956; 07-13-2016 at 11:00 AM.
07-13-2016, 08:48 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Sensor: I'd like to see less noise at high ISO. Maybe use the K-5's sensor and processing techniques. Alternatively, if potential consumers demand more pixels, use the K-3 24mp sensor (and an updated processing unit so the camera doesn't slow down).

Shooting Controls: I love the GR interface. The only change I want is some way to protect against accidental exposure compensation changes; the rocker switch is too easy to press.

Other: Better sealing against sensor dust. Water resistance would be a bonus.
07-13-2016, 11:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
My wish would be simple: make the GR3 into a "mini K-5" that would use the same batteries, accessories, flash, etc.
Ideally it would have a 49mm filter holder too (to make it compatible with all those lovely limited lenses)
I'm ok with 28mm and 16Mp form factor, but I'm tired of all the incompatibility between systems.

Michael
Michael, I think the GR series is an exception on maintaining the same battery between cameras. The GR is truly pocketable. I have been using a GRII for several months now. The form factor is perfect to always have it with you. Any larger this would change. Maybe they could squeeze the L190 battery in there if they changed the SD slot to a micro-SD slot. I wouldn't be against it as long as the size doesn't get any bigger.

The GR has a 49mm filter thread on the lens hood adapter. I think it would be a simple solution to make the GR weatherproof when the lens hood and adapter are attached. It already shields the opening and the lens take to the next level with WR.

I wanted a pocketable compact camera with the biggest sensor possible. The GR for me ended up being the best solution for that. I was able to handle the GR before purchase so was familiar with the control layout etc. Even with some reservations about the controls the quality of the files from the camera where enough to over look the short comings. The camera hasn't disappointed me there at all. It produces better quality images than my K-5. The 28mm eq field of view really makes it a fantastic street photography camera.

The GR does how ever need some changes to the physical controls. When I first handled the GR I could tell the Adj/Lever on the back of the camera was going to be a problem. I know people will disagree but it has to go. It is to easily moved. And the nature to the way it functions when it is moved when the user isn't aware can change settings by huge margins. To use it with any confidence you really need to be looking at the camera when doing any adjustments. Then after that you must keep checking the camera to make sure the adj/lever hasn't been moved changing the shutter speed.

I have really enjoyed using the GRII with one major covet. The shutter speed is constantly changed by accident. I only shoot in manual mode so it is frustrating when the camera can not do a simple thing like maintain the shutter speed the user wants.
07-13-2016, 01:31 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
I wanted a pocketable compact camera with the biggest sensor possible. The GR for me ended up being the best solution for that. I was able to handle the GR before purchase so was familiar with the control layout etc. Even with some reservations about the controls the quality of the files from the camera where enough to over look the short comings. The camera hasn't disappointed me there at all. It produces better quality images than my K-5. The 28mm eq field of view really makes it a fantastic street photography camera.
100% agreement in keeping the same size/formfactor wherein pocketability is key. I shoot with a Nikon Coolpix A which I picked up new for $299 and simply love the idea of pairing it with my K-3ii for a lightweight kit. I would have gone with the Ricoh GR but at that price I couldn't pass it up. Clearly Nikon has no interest in revising the Coolpix A given that they are putting all their eggs in the "DL" basket. I suppose that Ricoh won't have as much pressure to kill the GR since they currently don't offer a 1" sensor system. Hopefully, we'll see a GR3!

Michael
07-13-2016, 04:48 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Quite honestly... Hardly anything at all.
If I had my druthers I would simply like to a see a return of hybrid contrast AND phase detection AF. That's pretty much it.
All other improvements can just be "cost of living increases" as it were... whatever the latest sensor is etc. I do NOT want cosmetic or dimension changes.
If ain't broke...

Rather than increasing the size of the sensor however, I would MUCH rather see Ricoh try to implement some sort of viewfinder - I would prefer optical but EVF would be fine if it was good - and I mean GOOD. I'd like to see it emulate the older film bodies in that way more closely (which all had a VF). True to the lineage, through and through is all I'm after.

---------- Post added 07-13-16 at 04:55 PM ----------

Michael
You've near just described a Pentax K-01. That is NOT what I want for the GR line in way, shape or form - no disrespect I just couldn't disagree more.

07-13-2016, 06:28 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
You've near just described a Pentax K-01. That is NOT what I want for the GR line in way, shape or form - no disrespect I just couldn't disagree more.
Sorry I should have been clearer: I love the form factor as is. I don't want to see any "changes" to the overall shape, size, or weight. But any future Ricoh cameras should be totally compatible with the rich Pentax K system: flash, batteries, wifi, gps, menu system, dials, etc. That's what I meant by a "mini K-5" -- not a K-01.

Michael
07-13-2016, 06:34 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Sorry I should have been clearer: I love the form factor as is. I don't want to see any "changes" to the overall shape, size, or weight. But any future Ricoh cameras should be totally compatible with the rich Pentax K system: flash, batteries, wifi, gps, menu system, dials, etc. That's what I meant by a "mini K-5" -- not a K-01.

Michael
Ahhhh - sorry. I re-read your post and think I interpreted it to mean you wanted interchangeable lenses for K-mount, rather than filter size. That's a quite a bit to pack into a body this size though - perhaps another Ricoh model altogether. Seems a reboot of the GXR line might line up with those desires.....
07-13-2016, 09:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

100% agreement in keeping the same size/formfactor wherein pocketability is key. I shoot with a Nikon Coolpix A which I picked up new for $299 and simply love the idea of pairing it with my K-3ii for a lightweight kit. I would have gone with the Ricoh GR but at that price I couldn't pass it up. Clearly Nikon has no interest in revising the Coolpix A given that they are putting all their eggs in the "DL" basket. I suppose that Ricoh won't have as much pressure to kill the GR since they currently don't offer a 1" sensor system. Hopefully, we'll see a GR3!

Michael
Michael, That was a good price for the Coolpix A. I had forgot about that camera. The sizes are nearly identical except for how the GR lens retracts completely into the body making it slightly slimmer when shut off. The specs are very similar. It is a pity Nikon abandoned the project.

What I would like Ricoh/Pentax to do and I have said this before is that Pentax make a compact APS-C GR type camera using a 28mm lens for a 42mm eq. field of view. 28mm is a perfect focal length for APS-C as it is like 43mm to 35mm film diagonal. The reason Pentax made the FA 43 LTD. Then you could pair together the Ricoh GR wide angle and this Pentax/Ricoh ~42mm eq. standard view compact. These fields of view compliment each other nicely.

That's my dream and I am sticking to it.
07-16-2016, 01:48 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Above all, don't make it larger.

That said, I'd love to see WR, a tilt-screen (like the X70) or a VF, and a bit longer lens, say 24 or 28mm. Not sure if it would be possible to fit such a lens into the GR, though.

07-22-2016, 11:56 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I don't own a GR, but I rented one for a vacation and fell in love. Here is my take away...

1>WR is missing, and shouldn't be hard for ricoh to implement. IMO, this is a expected feature considering they do it so well with the K series cameras.
2>Integrated view finder. Either popup or built in EVF or simple optical should be squeezed into the form factor. It doesn't have to be much, just usable for persons interested in conserving battery.
3>The 16mp sensor is more than sufficient, but I would consider a 24mp from the K-3 a nice upgrade.
4> Lager battery for extended shooting. The current one is good, but it could be much better.

DO NOT CHANGE....
Form Factor > It looks awesome and isn't intemidating like a big DSLR.
Menu system > Figured it out in about an hour, was up and shooing fast and felt very natural
The beautiful lens > 2.8 isn't blazing fast, but DAMN... This thing is sharp.

I hope they read this!!!! LOL
07-22-2016, 03:09 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
I don't own a GR, but I rented one for a vacation and fell in love. Here is my take away...

1>WR is missing, and shouldn't be hard for ricoh to implement. IMO, this is a expected feature considering they do it so well with the K series cameras.
2>Integrated view finder. Either popup or built in EVF or simple optical should be squeezed into the form factor. It doesn't have to be much, just usable for persons interested in conserving battery.
3>The 16mp sensor is more than sufficient, but I would consider a 24mp from the K-3 a nice upgrade.
4> Lager battery for extended shooting. The current one is good, but it could be much better.

DO NOT CHANGE....
Form Factor > It looks awesome and isn't intemidating like a big DSLR.
Menu system > Figured it out in about an hour, was up and shooing fast and felt very natural
The beautiful lens > 2.8 isn't blazing fast, but DAMN... This thing is sharp.

I hope they read this!!!! LOL
I agree with most all of this, except that the viewfinder will have to be quite good. Not for practical purposes (because you're right, most will simply be interested in conserving power) but it must be implemented very well else all the reviewers will slam it on that point which will drastically hurt sales.
Once upon a time I thought 35mm (or even 50mm) a better choice .... but I've since grown to absolutely love this 28mm equiv and do not think it should change, not at all.
07-23-2016, 10:20 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
1,5 things I want to be in almost perfect camera; no more dust problem on a sensors and splash resistance. 1,5 because if you make splash (water) resist gr it automatically will help with dust problem