Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2016, 09:22 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter

Ricoh GR SOOC pictures

Playing around with my new to me GR I've found, much to my surprise, that I like using the in-camera effects. With my DSLRs I shoot exclusively raw, but I find the GR inspires more spontaneity.

Another and related surprise is that I find the Eye-Fi that was included very useful. Makes sharing those SOOC images all that more convenient. I've never had much interest in WiFi in cameras, shooting raw only...

Well, here are a few shots from this afternoon, all shot with the High-Contrast B&W effect and uploaded unedited through my cell phone.

07-30-2016, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #2
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
SOOC
Straight Out Of Compton?

07-30-2016, 09:49 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Straight Out Of Compton?
The atmosphere I suppose could be All the images were taken in one of the more idyllic places I know of, though - pictures really can lie
07-30-2016, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Had a go myself just having a short walk to the shops. I used to be a no filters purist...until now. They can be really fun.

07-31-2016, 02:33 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
Had a go myself just having a short walk to the shops. I used to be a no filters purist...until now. They can be really fun.
Nice ones!

I think part of the reason is that the filters are so easily accessible. As are most of the other features of this camera. A pure joy to use
07-31-2016, 04:03 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Classically, photographers stop shooting in the middle of the day. But B&W high contrast shots like yours really work with the high sun - and the GR fits in a pocket. :-)
07-31-2016, 08:54 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Classically, photographers stop shooting in the middle of the day. But B&W high contrast shots like yours really work with the high sun - and the GR fits in a pocket. :-)
Indeed. Part of the fun is to (try to) work around the limitations of the shooting conditions. The GR puts all of the tools at your fingertips

Today's filter is Positive Film with added vividness and contrast.

08-01-2016, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Back to b&w, but not quite as contrasty - still not exactly soft, though

08-02-2016, 03:13 AM   #9
webstertomkins

Nice pictures!

Playing around with my new to me GR I've found, much to my surprise, that I like using the in-camera effects. With my DSLRs I shoot exclusively raw, but I find the GR inspires more spontaneity.
I also like the in-camera effects. Mostly the High-Contrast B&W and the Normal B&W. For some situations I like the HDR-Effect (as long as you use it not too often). I know, that it is not really HDR, but I feel, that in addition to contrast and color it is lighten the shadows, too (which is a little bit like a HDR created out of a single raw file).

Currently I allways store a raw-file in addition to the out-of-camera-jpeg. But to be honest, I use the raw not very often. With using some individual settings, I like the jpeg-files of the GR(II) very much.
08-02-2016, 01:04 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by webstertomkins Quote
Nice pictures!
Thanks! Feel free to post, always interesting to see what people can make their GR do

QuoteQuote:
I also like the in-camera effects. Mostly the High-Contrast B&W and the Normal B&W. For some situations I like the HDR-Effect (as long as you use it not too often). I know, that it is not really HDR, but I feel, that in addition to contrast and color it is lighten the shadows, too (which is a little bit like a HDR created out of a single raw file).

Currently I allways store a raw-file in addition to the out-of-camera-jpeg. But to be honest, I use the raw not very often. With using some individual settings, I like the jpeg-files of the GR(II) very much.
I too like the B&W the most. In colour I seem to end up with either Positive with added contrast or with Vivid. For some subjects I think Bleach can work well.

The HDR-effect is one of the things they added to GRII. I have used the Highlight Protection in RAW development to lift the shadows, though. Gives a bit of the same effect.
08-02-2016, 01:06 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Some more:

08-03-2016, 03:12 AM   #12
webstertomkins

Thanks! Feel free to post, always interesting to see what people can make their GR do
For Pictures like this, the HDR works well for me.

---------- Post added 08-03-16 at 03:16 AM ----------

In general I like the Standard Colors of the GR, which are a little bit less saturated.

I often use a setting, where the contrast and vivid/saturation is slightly adjusted. That gives very natural color of the out-of-camera-jpeg to me.

Last edited by webstertomkins; 02-02-2017 at 01:04 AM.
08-03-2016, 11:34 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The HDR effect looks like a nice addition to the toolbox. Should work well with machinery, too.

Still trying out different levels of saturation in combination with exposure compensation. The saturation doesn't get as "severe" when lifting the exposure a bit. And I think the GR handles blues better than Pentax does by default.
08-03-2016, 12:04 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Today's entry from the Daily in August challenge, with saturated blues very much on purpose

08-05-2016, 10:50 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A quick snapshot on my way up from the train station this afternoon.