Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2016, 05:03 PM   #1

Eyefi card alternatives?

Hi Folks,

I've been Googling without much success to see if my GR is compatible with other WiFi storage cards. I am looking because my Eyefi cards (I use one in a Pentax K3 also) stopped functioning as means to transfer files to my Android phone, on 16 September following that company's decision to discontinue support for their Xpro 2 line of cards (I won't say what I think of EyeFi).

I need to either buy a replacement WiFi card if there are compatible alternatives, or upgrade to the GRII, which is probably a stretch just for WiFi.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice.

Thanks,
Frank Oz

10-01-2016, 06:20 PM   #2

Hi there! I use a Toshiba FlashAir 16gb card on my k30 and my q7 setups and sync it to my iPhone. This combo works really well and the card was about $30 Australian about 6 months ago. It is a class 10 speed card so plenty fast for my needs. I couldn't find an easy to use, reliable card to test in the eyefi range, so I took a gamble on the Toshiba and it's been great.
10-01-2016, 08:03 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you use direct mode it may work.

Frequently Asked Questions ? X2 Migration
10-01-2016, 08:27 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks ApeKing. I will look into it. The problem is that the Ricoh GR has embedded software functions that are specific to the EyeFi card, such allowing you to choose all or select a few photos to download. I use the connectivity for transferring to an Android phone for uploading to social media. I should state that a EyeFi did release a utility which allows direct connection to a PC/MAC, so some functionality remains, but this doesn't suit my purpose.

---------- Post added 2nd Oct 2016 at 02:02 PM ----------

Uncle Vanya, direct mode will work to PC/MAC using a utility EyeFi released just before shutting down their service. Unfortunately, they made no promises about whether the card would still allow direct mode transfers to an Android or iPhone. Upon trying a few days ago, the phone can see the card and the card will still function by allowing selection of photos for transfer, but the actual transfer requires access to Eye-Fi Center for which the server now seems to be shut down.

I may be missing something; happy for any ideas.

thanks
Frank Oz

10-01-2016, 08:43 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You may be able to wait, Toshiba licenced eyefi and vice versa. The future cards should work with some embedded camera functions, and existing apps from eyefi work with Toshiba.

Eyefi