Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2016, 12:43 PM   #1

Anyone actually use their OVF on their GR

I have had my GR for a number of years now. I love it. Use mostly for "on the go" photos/bikepacking/travel & family parties. I find that I rarely, if eve, use the expensive OVF that came with it. I just do not see a reason to use it.

Do others use it regularly, and, if so, when? I could see maybe in really bright sunlight.

Am I missing something?

11-21-2016, 01:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I tried my GR out for the first time (ish) on Saturday, and I have the GV-1 OVF. After a few shots walking around with it, I sort of felt that it wasn't worth using for me. Partly because my glasses made it harder to see through the OVF, and partly because I kept having a slight tilt that would show up in the photos.

Maybe it just needs a bit more practice on my part though.
11-22-2016, 03:49 AM   #3
webstertomkins

I do not have the OVF and I never missed it. I have never been in a situation, where I could not make my picture, because of a missing viewfinder. I think it depends on your preferences. If you are used to work allways with a VF, you maybe want to have it on a compact camera, too.
I am used to work without a viewfinder and to me it is most valuable, that the GR is so small (without the OVF).
01-13-2017, 12:36 PM   #4

I have used the GR since it was released and it's honestly still my favorite DIGITAL camera. I do have the OVF and I do use it, but only for one specific setup. I have one of my custom modes set for Snap shooting (which is such a wonderful feature) I have the focus fixed at 2m, aperture at f/8 and ISO set to 1600. Then I turn off the display and only use the OVF. I love using this mode when I am moving around quickly but I still like to frame my shots. There's zero lag and no focusing needed so it just becomes a very responsive tool.

Granted I also shoot with rangefinders so I'm somewhat accustomed to external viewfinders for composition.

I can certainly work without it, but for that specific mode I love to have it!

09-28-2018, 09:49 PM   #5

Permanently on it

Use Sony instead of original one. It works great for enhacing stability and a little wider FOV is very useful for composing and framing.
10-02-2018, 05:27 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had a Voigtlander vf for quite a while and never really got on with it. It's fine, but like the others just framing.
I am pretty sure it's lost. I haven't gone looking for it in a very long time and I've also not just "come across it" otherwise,
so .... yeah. Honestly doesn't bothered me much that I haven't had it around...
10-02-2018, 05:47 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Any of you guys use long lenses?
10-02-2018, 07:00 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Any of you guys use long lenses?
GR doesn't really have any outside of the 47mm crop.
You can adapt the original 1.43x tele from the first two models, but the result (though fun at times) is extremely soft everywhere but center.