Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-26-2016, 04:54 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
No Image Stabilisation, is it critical?

I'm looking at large sensor compacts to replace both my old dslr and phone camera when I want to travel light. The Fuji X70 looks good (my wife wants touch to focus, and i want the largest sensor ,) until I found out that it doesnt have image Stabilisation. I've never disabled sr on my old k-x except when on tripod, so i dont really know how much more difficult it is to get stable image without SR, and I am planning to use the "zoom" feature (in camera auto crop, making the x70 effectively a 50mm 1inch camera,) which could lead to more blurry images.

Does no SR on the GR makes it more difficult to get stable image at long shutter compared to other compacts with IS?

11-26-2016, 05:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Old school film days is 1/(2x Focal Length)... so 100mm equivalent field of view should have 1/200 shutter speed to eliminate motion blur.

Go through your catalogue and see how many photos below a particular shutter speed at a particular focal length to find out if your normal shooting will be affected.

Using Lightroom, I have discovered of the 1888 images made at 55mm, 256 of them were taken at shutter speeds of 1/50 or slower... that means I'd be affected by no SR at least 13.5% of the time.

To further that analysis, I have published 978 of those 1888 images to Flickr, and of the published ones, 14 were taken at what could be considered a slow shutter speed.. just 1.4%

Probably not a deal breaker.
11-26-2016, 07:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Old school film days is 1/(2x Focal Length)... so 100mm equivalent field of view should have 1/200 shutter speed to eliminate motion blur.

Go through your catalogue and see how many photos below a particular shutter speed at a particular focal length to find out if your normal shooting will be affected.

Using Lightroom, I have discovered of the 1888 images made at 55mm, 256 of them were taken at shutter speeds of 1/50 or slower... that means I'd be affected by no SR at least 13.5% of the time.

To further that analysis, I have published 978 of those 1888 images to Flickr, and of the published ones, 14 were taken at what could be considered a slow shutter speed.. just 1.4%

Probably not a deal breaker.
Much of that time, you may have been able to open the aperture up (with a small sensor camera, keeping plenty of depth of field) or raise the ISO (at least some of the time with acceptable results), so that number of shots saved by SR may even be lower. I'm finding it very handy on the K-1 though, where I'm much less likely to want to shoot wide-open and lose so much DOF.
11-26-2016, 07:19 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Much of that time, you may have been able to open the aperture up (with a small sensor camera, keeping plenty of depth of field) or raise the ISO (at least some of the time with acceptable results), so that number of shots saved by SR may even be lower. I'm finding it very handy on the K-1 though, where I'm much less likely to want to shoot wide-open and lose so much DOF.
Good point, adding those extra parameters puts me down to just 6 frames... where I had not chosen to limit aperture or ISO.

Last edited by mattt; 11-26-2016 at 07:27 PM. Reason: typo
11-27-2016, 02:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's the hands, mostly.