Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2016, 06:53 PM   #1

Looking for a jack-to-usb for my GR

I have a remote shutter and intervalometer operated by two AAA batteries which is "brand agnostic". It has a female jack, and you can plug any jack-to-usb or jack-to-jack to control any camera.

My problem is that I can't find an adapter jack-to-usb for Ricoh. Have searched eBay, Amazon, Google... but I'm afraid that my search-fu is not effective.

Do you know if it ever exists?

I'm looking for something like this (this is a jack-to-olympus one):

11-28-2016, 07:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe I am misunderstanding but USB is USB. Has nothing to do with Ricoh. Assuming the port on the camera is actually USB. Now which plug they use is a different story. Look here: USB - Wikipedia

That plug might be UC-E6 but I am not positive.
11-28-2016, 07:29 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Maybe I am misunderstanding but USB is USB. Has nothing to do with Ricoh. Assuming the port on the camera is actually USB. Now which plug they use is a different story. Look here: USB - Wikipedia

That plug might be UC-E6 but I am not positive.
OK, I named it "USB" just for not mess with specific nomenclatures. I meant "the connector into which you plug the provided USB cable"

Yes, the Ricoh connector is a UC-E6, fully compatible with the Nikon one. But I can't find a UC-E6-to-jack adapter either

Just for the record, the provided cable with the GR for charging and data transfer is an UC-E6 to USB.
11-28-2016, 07:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not sure if this is it or not but it looks close, although female: 11Pin Mini USB to 3.5mm Jack Audio Adapter Headphone Adapter for HTC Touch Audio Adapter FOR HTC Diamond P3700 P3300 P3650 Mini USB to 3.5mm Audio Adapter Audio Adapter for HTC Online with 0.94/Piece on Rongtong's Store | DHgate.com

11-29-2016, 12:02 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by aremesal Quote
I have a remote shutter and intervalometer operated by two AAA batteries which is "brand agnostic". It has a female jack, and you can plug any jack-to-usb or jack-to-jack to control any camera.
I'm not quite sure how you can be sold something that is "brand agnostic" and believe it. I'd suggest there's a huge chance that using a connector type adaptor (so not adapting protocol and/or electrical specification, just physical connector) to allow you to connect your magic "works with everything" box may damage your camera.
11-29-2016, 01:08 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blacklite Quote
I'm not quite sure how you can be sold something that is "brand agnostic" and believe it. I'd suggest there's a huge chance that using a connector type adaptor (so not adapting protocol and/or electrical specification, just physical connector) to allow you to connect your magic "works with everything" box may damage your camera.
The scheme of a remote shutter is pretty simple: a mass, a pin for half press and a pin for full press.

My intervalometer just maps these three to a female jack, in a standardized way.

Then, you need an adapter that maps the contacts in the jack to the pins in the camera connector, following the pin map of your brand.

I've had it for 5 or 6 years and used in some different cameras without any issues.

In fact, Hama has a whole system, called DDCSystem, with remote shutters, timers, wireless shutters and IR shutters. They use this jack-to-connector system, but sadly they don't make a Ricoh (or Pentax) adapter.

Yes, I know I could buy a remote for the GR from JJC, after all the camera has a built-in intervalometer and just need the remote shutter. But I like to reuse my items if I can

Last edited by aremesal; 11-29-2016 at 01:16 AM.
11-29-2016, 03:19 AM   #7

JJC RCA-2 is a remote shutter for the Ricoh GR with a detachable cable (+ another cable for the Ricoh GXR is provided). I have tried to connect the cable (jack to UC-E6) from the RCA-2 to an intervalometer (JJC WT-868) which might be similar to your model. The cable fits physically but I could not trigger the GR with this combination. JJC does not offer a special trigger cable for JJC WT-868/Ricoh GR.

11-30-2016, 09:41 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mybeque Quote
JJC RCA-2 is a remote shutter for the Ricoh GR with a detachable cable (+ another cable for the Ricoh GXR is provided). I have tried to connect the cable (jack to UC-E6) from the RCA-2 to an intervalometer (JJC WT-868) which might be similar to your model. The cable fits physically but I could not trigger the GR with this combination. JJC does not offer a special trigger cable for JJC WT-868/Ricoh GR.
Very interesting, thank you! I'll look for that JJC and try with my intervalometer. If it doesn't work at least I'll have a remote shutter

In addition, I'll try to map the pins of the shutter with a multimeter.
01-04-2018, 10:15 AM   #9

maybe this will help

So I see you are looking for the same thing I need

Mine Its for a headphone but I`m not willing to pay 12$ for shipping. If you are ok with that I believe here you can find what you are looking for:

Gaming Accessories | SteelSeries

the cables named artics 8 pin are actually UC-E6.

Hope it helps.
01-05-2018, 08:29 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aremesal Quote

My problem is that I can't find an adapter jack-to-usb for Ricoh. Have searched eBay, Amazon, Google... but I'm afraid that my search-fu is not effective.

Do you know if it ever exists?

I'm looking for something like this (this is a jack-to-olympus one):
Hi there,
Maybe i'm missing something here, I get the remote shutter, but in terms of intervalometer, what are you trying to achieve that cannot be accomplished by the camera menu? If you have the GRII, you can remotely trigger the shutter using a smartphone.

In terms of the external USB input, I use a USB powerbank, which unfortunately cannot be used as a continuous power source.
01-05-2018, 08:41 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old thread alert! Last post here was November of 2016. Hope the OP got it figured out.