Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2017, 01:12 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Silly question - Exposure Scale on the GR

So this may be a silly question, but on my k-3 and other DSLRs, in the viewfinder, I have a little exposure scale that tells me if my scene is brighter, darker, etc. I don't know if that's the name for it, but it's something I've gotten used to using. On the GR, I can only find the option to show the histogram on my screen - and I don't like to use that for two reasons:

1) I don't know how to read it (not a big deal)
2) It takes up a ton of the screen in my opinion (bigger deal)

The alternative that I know is in the GR is that if my shutter and aperture settings cause overexposure at ISO100, it'll give me the !AE sign. This isn't a problem in the other direction because I shoot in TAv and I'll see my ISO jump, and I can adjust my shutter/aperture based on the ISO value. So my trouble is when I have a daylight scene and I'm at ISO100 and it gives me the !AE sign, and I don't know by how much I am overexposing.

When I have the scale in my k-3, I can see if I'm 3 or more stops, 2 stops, or 1 stop overexposed, and I can very quickly adjust my settings to match. On the GR, it's a little bit of a crapshoot for me if I don't have the histogram on. Does anyone have a solution for this?

01-17-2017, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
So this may be a silly question, but on my k-3 and other DSLRs, in the viewfinder, I have a little exposure scale that tells me if my scene is brighter, darker, etc. I don't know if that's the name for it, but it's something I've gotten used to using. On the GR, I can only find the option to show the histogram on my screen - and I don't like to use that for two reasons:

1) I don't know how to read it (not a big deal)
2) It takes up a ton of the screen in my opinion (bigger deal)

The alternative that I know is in the GR is that if my shutter and aperture settings cause overexposure at ISO100, it'll give me the !AE sign. This isn't a problem in the other direction because I shoot in TAv and I'll see my ISO jump, and I can adjust my shutter/aperture based on the ISO value. So my trouble is when I have a daylight scene and I'm at ISO100 and it gives me the !AE sign, and I don't know by how much I am overexposing.

When I have the scale in my k-3, I can see if I'm 3 or more stops, 2 stops, or 1 stop overexposed, and I can very quickly adjust my settings to match. On the GR, it's a little bit of a crapshoot for me if I don't have the histogram on. Does anyone have a solution for this?
With "M" you have an exposure bar, but I'm not sure you can have it otherwise. Since you are in TAv already it's not far!
01-17-2017, 05:18 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Ah, good to know that M has the exposure bar, I suppose I could change my shooting style to use M instead of TAv. Thanks!