Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2017, 02:21 PM - 2 Likes   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
That looks great for a phone pic However, it's a much easier scene to meter. Firstly, the camera will (I'm guessing) be using matrix metering for the whole frame. Secondly, most of the frame (with the exception of that window with natural light blasting through, and the dark area above the furnace) has fairly consistent lighting. The phone camera has, quite rightly, metered for the majority of the frame and done a pretty good job. But notice how the window, the hanging lamp, and the light hitting the floor, bottom right, coming from a window, are all seriously over-exposed. That would more-than-likely happen with the GRII also (especially with centre-weighted metering which would ignore the window), but I suspect it may try to protect the highlights to a greater extent and probably underexpose a bit as a result...
I agree.
WIll try some tests with matrix but I really don't like matrix.
I want my subject to be in focus and well exposed.
Normally I don't shoot things like canals and is center weighted probably the best setting for me.
This is the cleanest pic so far, shot a week ago.
This pic was also to dark. Yes, I know that it's a difficult picture again, maybe even more because of the dark car and the harsh gray sky but still....I feel that the Ricoh is to scared with exposure. I am pleased by the edges of the car which are still great despite the high contrast of the sky.
My Nikon D90 exposed to the right which gives clean images because you have to make it darker in post processing and the little bit of noise is gone after that.
But ,oke, I will stop wining about my Nikon because I almost never carried it with me because of the weight!
I found on another forum that others feel the same (that ricoh is overprotecting against higlights) and recomment to shoot +0,7 all the time.
Overexposure indicator on GR: Ricoh Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Well anyway, here's my best pic so far but still under exposed :-(
I wish all readers a good night!

Attached Images

03-25-2017, 02:38 PM   #17
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ericzwerft Quote
WIll try some tests with matrix but I really don't like matrix.
Understood. Well, it's only a suggestion - you should shoot how you feel happiest, but just keep in mind that the camera will try to average out the area it's metering to 18% grey (or equivalent). So, when using centre-weighted metering, if the central area is dark, it'll bring that area - and everything else - up. If the central area is bright, it'll bring everything down.

I want my subject to be in focus and well exposed.
Amen to that. I've been trying to achieve that since 2009, with various cameras, and I'm finally getting to be quite good at it. But only quite!

This is the cleanest pic so far, shot a week ago.
This pic was also to dark. Yes, I know that it's a difficult picture again, maybe even more because of the dark car and the harsh gray sky but still....I feel that the Ricoh is to scared with exposure. I am pleased by the edges of the car which are still great despite the high contrast of the sky.
My Nikon D90 exposed to the right which gives clean images because you have to make it darker in post processing and the little bit of noise is gone after that.
But ,oke, I will stop wining about my Nikon because I almost never carried it with me because of the weight!
Well anyway, here's my best pic so far but still under exposed :-(
I wish all readers a good night!
A few things, here...

Firstly, that's a *great* shot. Beautiful, and very striking. I don't know what metering you were using and where you pointed the camera when you metered, but if it was centre-weighted and at the centre of the frame, I think the camera did a good job, even if it's darker than you're used to. The difficulty here, again, is that it's a very contrasty shot with a bright sky for the majority of the frame.

Secondly, the D90 was (and still is, for those who use it) a great camera. Years ago, I used to shoot with a D40X and loved it. I yearned for a D90 I don't remember what its metering preferences were, however - you can emulate a camera that favours higher exposure using EV compensation, as you already know. It may not feel natural to do so right now, but it's just a difference in operation between different cameras. I shoot Pentax and Sony gear side by side, and the number of differences in various areas is astounding. I'm used to them now, but it took me a while to adjust.

Lastly, I don't think you're whining about you're Nikon. They're fantastic cameras and I'd be more than happy shooting a Nikon system if I wasn't invested in others. And, if I'd got used to the Nikon way of doing things, I'd no doubt be frustrated initially when switching to another manufacturer. What you're experiencing is entirely natural. I only hope that you'll give yourself time to adjust and learn to get the best from the GRII. We all know it can do great things, and this last photo of yours is a beauty. Stick with it and I'm sure you'll master it

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-25-2017 at 03:22 PM.
03-26-2017, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #18
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, I think Ricoh/Pentax tend to protect the highlights more than most. I no longer think about it. In a scene like the one above (great shot, btw) my thumb would probably add some EV compensation without even telling me

Apart from that I find the matrix metering of the GR to do a very good job. My default setting (saved to "My 1") is Av mode, auto ISO, f/5.6, matrix metering, centre pin point focus, auto WB, auto ND filter, snap focus on full press (2m, auto ISO-high, min 1/250th), and RAW. Which means almost auto-everything as a starting point, but thanks to the brilliant controls of the GR I can quickly take over control as needed.
05-11-2018, 11:49 AM   #19

Shooting center weighted averaging was a poor choice for that scene. Just admit it, learn from it and move on. Phrases like, "I don't really like matrix" accomplish nothing and are a good part of the reason for your poorly exposed shot.