Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-27-2018, 04:56 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
I have had my GRII since 2016 without seeing any dust problems. I don't think it is an issue people should not buy the GRII over. There are no guarantees. Julia Margaret Cameron's negatives and prints were riddled with dust.

The adapter hood is worth getting imho. Instead of the supplied hood I use the hood from the DA21 with an o-ring to hold it in place. It doesn't supply the same level of protection as the supplied hood but it makes the GRII much smaller.

Basically I agree. The best solution I found is to forget about it. Dust is not usually that noticeable unless you shot below f8. But the GR lens is so sharp at f2.8 that I find little improvement beyond f4. Nevertheless, if you have such bad luck that you see dust at f2.8 (as the user Chipbutty) you can always try to clean the sensor yourself. It doesn't seem that difficult. I would suggest everybody that stop about worrying dust, admit it may arrive sooner or later, buy the camera and enjoy this piece of marvel.

01-27-2018, 06:34 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by rodaballo Quote
Basically I agree. The best solution I found is to forget about it. Dust is not usually that noticeable unless you shot below f8. But the GR lens is so sharp at f2.8 that I find little improvement beyond f4. Nevertheless, if you have such bad luck that you see dust at f2.8 (as the user Chipbutty) you can always try to clean the sensor yourself. It doesn't seem that difficult. I would suggest everybody that stop about worrying dust, admit it may arrive sooner or later, buy the camera and enjoy this piece of marvel.
I think not worrying is the key if you wanna buy this camera. If you gonna be worried then just don't get one, otherwise you're not gonna enjoy it

Last edited by Matias_baez; 01-27-2018 at 07:19 PM.
03-07-2018, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
They should really make these things with a hinge, so you can crack them open and clean the sensor.
03-07-2018, 10:09 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
They should really make these things with a hinge, so you can crack them open and clean the sensor.
Totally agree.
There should be some more customizable cameras for those who dare to deal with them like Jack The Ripper would

03-08-2018, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #20
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree that dust is the main (only?) problem with this wonderful camera. However...

QuoteOriginally posted by rodaballo Quote
stop about worrying dust, admit it may arrive sooner or later, buy the camera and enjoy this piece of marvel.
This.

I bought mine second-hand and was informed by the seller of the dust spots (even with a "Visualize spots" view from LR) - and still bought it. The only spot large enough to bother me from time to time is easily cloned out when it's visible - that is on even background. On uneven backgrounds it isn't a problem anyway.

Also, I have not seen more spots appear after I got the camera. I suspect the previous owner had the camera loose in his pockets rather than using a bag/holster as I do. It is quite well worn.
03-08-2018, 09:12 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just have to reiterate - knock on wood - that I've owned and heavily used the GR since launch in May 2013... still no dust. Everyone should calm down.
03-10-2018, 10:59 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
I just have to reiterate - knock on wood - that I've owned and heavily used the GR since launch in May 2013... still no dust. Everyone should calm down.
I guess you're just lucky. I've owned two of them and had them cleaned multiple times by Precision, and I keep it in a case whenever not in use. And I always have dust.

03-11-2018, 12:18 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I guess you're just lucky. I've owned two of them and had them cleaned multiple times by Precision, and I keep it in a case whenever not in use. And I always have dust.
It's clearly an issue, but I'd be genuinely curious to know what percentage of owners/users experience dust issues.
10-01-2018, 02:43 AM   #24

Hello,

I would like to understand if the dust issue was fully or partially addressed with the Ricoh GRii.
Or if Ricoh addressed the issue in a later batch of Ricoh GRii (like some minor design revision).

To put it clearly : do you have a recent Ricoh GRii (manufacturing date is on the box), and observe the dust problem?

Thanks in advance,
10-05-2018, 05:46 PM   #25

Really...when I shot film....I had dust even on a clean camera....so I just dealt with it as I digitized the film and worked on the computer ....so it is not that hard to work with your software to get rid of any Ricoh dust issue. If you like the new Ricoh and want to put down $800 or so, or whatever it will cost, do so...otherwise, just deal with it as it is not that hard to work around.
10-08-2018, 12:54 AM   #26
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lmans Quote
Really...when I shot film....I had dust even on a clean camera....so I just dealt with it as I digitized the film and worked on the computer ....so it is not that hard to work with your software to get rid of any Ricoh dust issue. If you like the new Ricoh and want to put down $800 or so, or whatever it will cost, do so...otherwise, just deal with it as it is not that hard to work around.
While I agree that it's (usually) not very hard to fix with software, I would much prefer not to have to use spot healing on pretty much every image. Proper sealing could remove what should have been an unnecessary step. Besides, the GR is a camera that invites to using JPEGs without any post processing. Those dust spots pretty much make that impossible.

Let's hope the dust removal measures added to the GR III will fix this issue with an otherwise fantastic camera.
10-09-2018, 11:30 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by lmans Quote
Last year I was very concern about the dust issue and spent weeks researching about this problem until I actually decided to pospone the GR.
This year I decided to just deal with the dust issue like you said and I bought in February. I don't know if it's one of the new GR models with the dust issue fixed or not but so far I had no problems.
Since the very beginning I just bought one of those camera pouches to keep my camera away from the evil dust, and eventually the GH3 adapter with a UV filter.

So, I hope my little black princess can be safe and make happy for as long as possible!
And I wish the same for all of you guys and your GR's =)

Last edited by Matias_baez; 10-09-2018 at 01:25 PM.
06-05-2019, 04:39 AM   #28

Hi there !

The same for me here :

I ask Ricoh Aftersale Services for a cleaning : about 100€ for 1 hour of work.
I plan to clean it maybe by myself ... or try to forget i've got dust on my shots.

I bought this used camera 2 days ago but the pictures I asked to check the dusts wasn't enough.