Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2017, 03:17 PM   #1

Ricoh Gr II or wait for III

I've owned a few GR cameras in the past, the original GR Digital and the more recent GR. I'd really like to get another but I'm struggling with the decision. Normally I could care less about having the most recent technology, but my GR had sensor dust issues. Could someone let me know if the GR II is less prone to this issue? If not, I'm thinking I should hold off to see if the GR III has some significant upgrades. Any idea when an announcement might happen? Thanks!

06-05-2017, 03:23 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The GR II is pretty much the same as the GR, so you might want to wait. I'm not sure what Ricoh's plans are with respect to the successor, though. It's an odd year, so historically we should expect an announcement sooner rather than later!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-05-2017, 03:30 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The GR II is pretty much the same as the GR, so you might want to wait. I'm not sure what Ricoh's plans are with respect to the successor, though. It's an odd year, so historically we should expect an announcement sooner rather than later!
Thank you Adam! Honestly, I hope the don't change much. I loved both cameras and the only issue I had with it was the sensor dust on the GR, unfortunately mine was bad. I actually wish I never "upgraded" from the original GR Digital. The b&w results from that camera were amazing.
06-05-2017, 05:02 PM   #4
Pentaxian

GRII
No GRIII this year!

06-05-2017, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
GRII
No GRIII this year!
Do you have a source? Please excuse my skepticism.
06-05-2017, 11:54 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Gr iii

And I would expect that a new GR III will be announced within one month.
06-06-2017, 04:21 AM   #7
Forum Member

Well, based on the current sales it would seem vendors are trying unload the GRII. B&H $80 off, Adorama $100 off.

06-06-2017, 07:51 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joebarfly Quote
Well, based on the current sales it would seem vendors are trying unload the GRII. B&H $80 off, Adorama $100 off.
That's kind of what I was thinking. Does anyone know how they usually announce new cameras besides a press release? Are there any upcoming events?
06-06-2017, 10:55 AM   #9

Sorry if this message may be slightly off topic. It does, however, address a possible key improvement for a future GR camera.

My preference in any camera is to have an optical viewfinder. I really like my Pentax ME Super but I have never owned a Pentax digital camera. The Ricoh GR, using a fixed focal length lens, seems to be ideally suited for the incorporation of an optical viewfinder.

Am I missing a trick here? In fact, are Ricoh/Pentax missing a trick here? I can't be the only simple soul who has this opinion.
06-06-2017, 11:38 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxis Quote
Sorry if this message may be slightly off topic. It does, however, address a possible key improvement for a future GR camera.

My preference in any camera is to have an optical viewfinder. I really like my Pentax ME Super but I have never owned a Pentax digital camera. The Ricoh GR, using a fixed focal length lens, seems to be ideally suited for the incorporation of an optical viewfinder.

Am I missing a trick here? In fact, are Ricoh/Pentax missing a trick here? I can't be the only simple soul who has this opinion.

I've trained myself not to care as much about an optical viewfinder, especially if it makes the camera any bigger. I'd prefer a tilt screen like the Fuji x70, and seal up the sensor!
06-06-2017, 12:50 PM   #11
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by astroZombie Quote
I've trained myself not to care as much about an optical viewfinder, especially if it makes the camera any bigger. I'd prefer a tilt screen like the Fuji x70, and seal up the sensor!
Same with me. I've always said I don't want a camera without a viewfinder, preferably optical, but I don't really miss one in the GR.

If they can seal up the sensor (or the entire camera) it'd be great. If they can fit a tilt screen without increasing the size, even better. That camera would be very, very hard to resist.