Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-21-2017, 07:41 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter

Outstanding

The Ricoh GR and GR II must be about the best kept secret in photography. I have used Leicas over the last 10 years - M film and digital, an X2 and most recently a Q - but, with advancing years and wanting to reduce the value, bulk and weight of my kit, I have bought a Ricoh GR II, and I am really impressed. The lens and sensor are well matched and it resolves more detail than the X2 despite the wider angle of view. At first the menu system seems rather complicated, but it enables me to configure the camera to best suit my working practices.

I would have liked an EVF, but that would have an impact on size and cost, and the LCD display works well in bright light. I do have an OVF, and frequently use this to help stabilize the camera when exposing.

Altogether a very pleasing experience, and a camera I can carry all the time. I just wish that I had discovered the GR when it first appeared.

07-21-2017, 11:35 AM   #2
Forum Member

Do you believe that itīs better than a GoPro considering Price and value?
07-21-2017, 11:56 AM   #3
CDW
Site Supporter

GoPro and GRII are apples and oranges. Different strengths for different uses.
07-21-2017, 12:05 PM   #4
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Indeed. I carry my GR everywhere. And my DSLRs have seen a lot less use after I got this little gem of a camera. Looking forward to what comes next in the GR line.

07-22-2017, 03:17 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KevinMoss Quote
Do you believe that itīs better than a GoPro considering Price and value?
My interest is in good quality still images with a view to making prints of the best.
10-04-2017, 05:37 PM   #6

Having acquired a GR II recently (just some days ago), I am fascinated by this camera. However, I am still struggling to use it. It is not about the usability, but the very different approach to taking pictures that has surprised me so far and, frankly, I am still a bit dull using it. However, I am loving it.
10-04-2017, 11:32 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rodaballo Quote
Having acquired a GR II recently (just some days ago), I am fascinated by this camera. However, I am still struggling to use it. It is not about the usability, but the very different approach to taking pictures that has surprised me so far and, frankly, I am still a bit dull using it. However, I am loving it.
It's super easy to take pictures - there's a menu item allowing you to prefocus to 1m or 3m or whatever and you just hit the shutter button while pointing around you.

Because it's got that wide angle PoV like a phone, you can compose holding it away from your body.

If you still want to hold it close to yourself and are inexperienced with WA shooting, you can choose the 35mm and 47mm crop modes - losing pixels of course.

10-11-2017, 02:25 AM   #8
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rodaballo Quote
very different approach to taking pictures
Indeed. I most often use it very differently from a DSLR. It feels much more "immediate" to me, better for unplanned shots, quicker in a way. And very unobtrusive.

Because of the excellent controls it is also a lot quicker and easier to use than a phone. Ever tried shooting one-handed with your phone?