Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2017, 09:59 PM - 1 Like   #1

Ricoh GRII Focus Mode Bug

I've recently run into an issue when manual focussing on my GRII where the camera continues to act as if it is in AF mode.

Symptoms:
-when pressing the [macro] button to enter manual focus mode, it just says "Macro OFF" and no manual focus bar appears
-half pressing the shutter will auto focus
-entering Fn1 and Fn2 modes does not help

the only way I am able to enter manual focus mode is if I hold the AF button (button on top of the AEL/AFLE/C-AF lever) and then adjust the up/down dial, but this just results in glitching between adjusting the focus and the aperture.

I also just noticed that Subject Tracking, Snap, and Infinity focus modes all do not work as well (looks like it remains in Multi Focus mode)

I updated to Firmware v. 3.00 (i was on 2.00) but this did not solve the problem.

Has anyone had this happen before? Any suggestions on how to remedy it?

08-19-2017, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #2

Original Poster
Solution

I managed to fix it by removing and then re-adding focus mode to the adjust lever option.
08-21-2017, 06:59 PM   #3

Original Poster
It's back!

Well unfortunately the bug has returned. I am unable to enter any focus mode other than multi AF. I am not able to reset it by using the solution that previously worked for me (posted above). I tried putting the AF/MF function on the effect button, but that didn't work. I've also tried resetting to factory defaults but that didn't work. Has anyone else experienced this?
08-29-2017, 10:16 AM   #4

Original Poster
OK I think I figured it out. It looks like it has something to do with the Effect mode. When I use certain effects (eg Positive Film), I am not able to change method of focus.

01-03-2020, 01:21 PM - 1 Like   #5
bkk

I can’t emphasize enough how grateful I am for this post. avcb, thank you!

As I have recently bought a Ricoh GR II I ran into the same problem. For the love of God I couldn't find out why was the camera stuck in what seemed to be Multi AF (auto focus) no matter which focus more I picked. Switching focus modes ( manual focus, snap, infinity) yet it stayed in AF. My effect was set to Portrait. And that was the ‘issue’. I mean I still don’t get why is this happening, but at least this fixes my problem.

BTW I had reset the camera settings and upgraded to firmware 3.0 prior to figuring this out. None of that helped.

Once again, a big thank you, It was way harder to find this post than it should have been. Not to speak the issue shouldn’t have been there in first place.
09-21-2023, 12:37 AM   #6

Had exactly the same problem – reformatting my Sandisk SD card solved it instantly. (p.s. to check if this might work for you, take out the SD card and try and take a few photos using snap on the cameras internal memory – if that works, the problem was the SD)