Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-25-2017, 09:34 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What's up with the GR II?

Both B&H and Adorama have it as "backordered". Adorama has two "used" ones for sale, and they are listed as "demo" units. The "kits", which seem to be just the stores adding an SD card and little case are all "discontinued". It is still on the Pentax site looking like you could order from them, but I'm really wondering if the GR II is about to be end of life. Any one have any clues or thoughts on this?

11-25-2017, 10:19 AM   #2
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe it's discontinued already...
11-25-2017, 11:15 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
And was offered on black Friday Amazon sale which is often around a replacement launch.
11-25-2017, 11:40 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On another forum there are a few people who placed orders for the GRii a few weeks ago with B&H and they are saying that they were given an arrival date of December 10th. I love my GR and it's getting a little long in the tooth so I have been waiting to see if there will be a GRiii before replacing mine. I didn't upgrade to the GRii since there isn't a difference in the lens or sensor from the GR. If Ricoh decides not to continue the line I'll hopefully then get the GRii (I hope Ricoh doesn't discontinue the line without any announcement

11-25-2017, 01:51 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'd like to think positively that it means a replacement is upcoming. I'm looking at how first the QS-1 vaporized and now maybe how the GRII is doing the same. Hoping it means that there is something in the small mirrorless or advanced point and shoot area to be announced soon. It would be nice if the slower pace of new releases we've seen over the past couple years is indicative of resources being allocated to some new projects. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by clickclick; 11-25-2017 at 03:43 PM.
11-25-2017, 02:32 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

A GR/GRII replacement is long overdue IMO, I hope they've got something planned.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-25-2017, 07:59 PM - 3 Likes   #7
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For what it's worth, the GR II's availability in Japan is like normal. On the main price price comparison site, the GR II is available from 61 online retailers, compared to 54 for the K-1 and 63 for the KP. This is essentially full availability. I guess that those retailers in the US just don't hold that much stock and are waiting for a new delivery.

Having said that, I wouldn't worry about a GR successor eventually. Apart from the common sense aspect that the GR is one of Ricoh's signature products, there have been a few specific indications this year that it will continue.
- When Ricoh issued their statement about staying in the camera business, they specifically say Pentax and GR will continue (don't remember the exact wording).
- Ricoh Japan opened a separate online store page for the GR earlier this year. It seems a strange thing to do at this timing unless they are planning a successor of some sort. GR STORE | RICOH IMAGING
- This might seem silly, but when Ricoh opened their new Osaka showroom in September, it had a new logo that shows a Pentax, a Theta and a GR. It looks like these are what they see as the three pillars of their business.

Ricoh probably isn't feeling any great panic about the GR. There isn't any direct competitor to it on the market. The Nikon A and Fuji X70 were discontinued. Other competitors are MILC systems that are bigger. What Ricoh needs to do is make sure that the successor is enough of an improvement to make current users feel compelled to upgrade. I don' think that looking at the past release timing and projecting it into the future is a sensible way of saying when a product is dues, especially since a lot of camera companies are deliberately slowing their releases down.

Last edited by JPT; 11-25-2017 at 08:07 PM.
11-25-2017, 09:18 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
For what it's worth, the GR II's availability in Japan is like normal.
Thanks for the perspective of what you see there. I went poking on the link you included, and I came across something I had not seen and found interesting. If you scroll down this page: GR Story / GR | RICOH IMAGING
you get to a section talking about release history, and that the GR series is on a two year cycle. The last release they show is the GRII in 2015, and before that, a release about every two years going back to inception. Perhaps a GRIII is not far off.
11-26-2017, 01:37 AM   #9
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
For what it's worth, the GR II's availability in Japan is like normal.
Japan is another planet. Even rather old cameras could be found there as new.

Anyway, I hope for new GRIII with WR and 24 MP sensor next year.