Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2017, 07:22 AM   #1

How to get decent colors out of the GR?

Hi there,

Love the GR, great little camera. However, the color rendition with Adobe Standard camera profile (which i guess is all we've got + embedded) make my eyes bleed and it's a struggle to squeeze good colors out of it.
I saw Eric Kim has done many great looking color pictures with it and I'm asking myself - what's the trick?

Does Silkypix or any other processing software include camera profiles for it?

Thanks for reading.

11-26-2017, 08:42 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have a GR but I can confirm that the DXO software supports the RAW files. Supported cameras | DxO.com
11-26-2017, 01:35 PM   #3

Original Poster
I'll take a look! Thank you
11-26-2017, 03:44 PM   #4

I shoot in RAW and than develop the files in Adobe Lightroom - it gives you plenty of control over the final colors. If you really want profiles check out Huelight Profiles - they have some for the GR.

Last edited by Alnjpn; 11-26-2017 at 03:52 PM.
11-26-2017, 03:47 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Darktable and Rawtherapee both do fine with the GR - I can't really point out any huge differences between my GR raw files and those out of either the K-5 IIs or the K-70
12-03-2017, 02:44 PM   #6
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alnjpn Quote
I shoot in RAW and than develop the files in Adobe Lightroom - it gives you plenty of control over the final colors.
Yep, I don't see any problems with the colours in Lightroom. I use the embedded profile for both the GR and the K-5/K-3/K-1.

@Fabian, you do use a calibrated monitor, right?
03-05-2018, 12:54 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fabian Quote
Love the GR, great little camera. However, the color rendition with Adobe Standard camera profile (which i guess is all we've got + embedded) make my eyes bleed and it's a struggle to squeeze good colors out of it...
I realize that this is a rather subjective thing, but I genuinely cannot relate to this by any stretch of imagination. What is it exactly that you find so awful and/or missing from the colors from the GR raw files? I only ask because I've never even imagined this to be an issue. Do you have a basis for comparison? I'm genuinely curious.
10-12-2018, 03:18 AM   #8

Original Poster
Calibrated monitor, yes.

I was a bit harsh in my initial post about the colors - they're not drastically off, just (imo) far off from what the in-camera processor puts out, and not for the better.

To get an idea, open a K-1 file in ACR and toggle between the Camera Natural and Adobe Standard profile on images with human subjects. Look at transitions between shadows and mid tones on skin for example.
And overall skin color.

10-13-2018, 08:42 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fabian Quote
Calibrated monitor, yes.

I was a bit harsh in my initial post about the colors - they're not drastically off, just (imo) far off from what the in-camera processor puts out, and not for the better.

To get an idea, open a K-1 file in ACR and toggle between the Camera Natural and Adobe Standard profile on images with human subjects. Look at transitions between shadows and mid tones on skin for example.
And overall skin color.
To me this indicates Adobe's presets aren't as optimized for the Pretax as they should be.