Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-04-2018, 10:07 PM   #16

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
I don't think you will have a single regret buying the GRII. Only not buying it sooner.

It's not a perfect camera but it is perfect for having with you at all times. I have had my GRII since 2016. Mechanically I haven't had any problem with it after much us. I have not seen any dust in my GRII and it has been in and out of a variety of pockets while turned on and off.

When the GRII was near release the GR was on sale for close to $400 including the optical viewfinder for free. Those supplies dried up fast. My only regret after getting the GRII was not buying the GR years earlier. I was hoping the GRII was going to have the 24mp sensor but that didn't happen. Fuji put basically the same 16mp sensor in the X70 their GR equivalent. The GRII had small cosmetic changes and the addition of built in WIFI over the GR. To buy the optical viewfinder today cost's over $250. There is also a 21mm wide angle conversion lens for the GR/GRII. I have been meaning to buy one but at $200 it hasn't been on the priority list of things.
Thank you for such a complete advice!

I bought the GRII before reading your message, and so far I'm very happy with it.
I haven't shared pictures yet reapply because I feel like I'm still knowing it.

I might need some of the accessories you were telling me, but at this time I'm with it just as it is.
I think that some accessories like the optical viewfinder or the conversion lens are gonna make it a bit chunkier, and what I love about this little camera is how portable and convenient is.

Anyway, thank you again and have a great week!

03-05-2018, 01:06 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Matias_baez Quote
Thank you for such a complete advice!

I bought the GRII before reading your message, and so far I'm very happy with it.
I haven't shared pictures yet reapply because I feel like I'm still knowing it.

I might need some of the accessories you were telling me, but at this time I'm with it just as it is.
I think that some accessories like the optical viewfinder or the conversion lens are gonna make it a bit chunkier, and what I love about this little camera is how portable and convenient is.

Anyway, thank you again and have a great week!
If you're a Pentaxian with the 43mm limited, I posted a long while back that the extension tube for the GR is a perfect match for the FA43mm lens-hood and cap. Makes it less pocketable but dust is not an issue this way ... Though truth be told I've had my original GR since pre-order and have never experienced the dust issue that is so often discussed. I just keep the camera tucked in a soft sunglass case/bag (when not using 43mm hood) and never an issue.

The 21mm conversion lens is heavy and, much like the added lens hood I mentioned, makes is less pocketable, but it is an OUTSTANDING conversion lens. I've never noticed anything detrimental to the images created while using it. 21mm is an entirely new world in many ways beyond the 28mm native. And, I happen to love 28mm, personally - I know many would prefer 35mm but I'm not one of them.
03-06-2018, 09:20 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
If you're a Pentaxian with the 43mm limited, I posted a long while back that the extension tube for the GR is a perfect match for the FA43mm lens-hood and cap. Makes it less pocketable but dust is not an issue this way ... Though truth be told I've had my original GR since pre-order and have never experienced the dust issue that is so often discussed. I just keep the camera tucked in a soft sunglass case/bag (when not using 43mm hood) and never an issue.

The 21mm conversion lens is heavy and, much like the added lens hood I mentioned, makes is less pocketable, but it is an OUTSTANDING conversion lens. I've never noticed anything detrimental to the images created while using it. 21mm is an entirely new world in many ways beyond the 28mm native. And, I happen to love 28mm, personally - I know many would prefer 35mm but I'm not one of them.
Sup man!
Thank you so much for the lens hood idea, but sadly I'm broke ass Pentaxian that doesn't own a FA43mm haha.
Honestly, I've been looking for ways to prevent the famous dust problem even before buying the GR.
What else do you think I can use with this purpose? Do you think one of those generic a lens-hood will work?

Like this one B + W 43mm #900 Rubber Lens Hood for Standard/Short Zoom Lenses 65-069586
or this one? 43mm Metal Camera Lens Hood for 43 mm Filter Thread Standard Lens MH-43S | eBay

Thank you again!
03-06-2018, 10:02 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Matias_baez Quote
Sup man!
Thank you so much for the lens hood idea, but sadly I'm broke ass Pentaxian that doesn't own a FA43mm haha.
Honestly, I've been looking for ways to prevent the famous dust problem even before buying the GR.
What else do you think I can use with this purpose? Do you think one of those generic a lens-hood will work?

Like this one B + W 43mm #900 Rubber Lens Hood for Standard/Short Zoom Lenses 65-069586
or this one? 43mm Metal Camera Lens Hood for 43 mm Filter Thread Standard Lens MH-43S | eBay

Thank you again!
The later might very well work if you screw a UV or skylight filter over the end of it. The FA43 work well simply because of the tight-fitting cap that goes with it.
This definitely makes it less pocket-friendly like I said, but still very small. Honestly, best thing you can do is keep it in a pouch when not in use. I use extra microfiber sunglass pouches (I always lose the sunglasses but never the pouch) like these: 4 Pack Microfiber Sunglasses Pouch Storage Cleaning and Case Holder for Glasses Cameras Cell Phone Jewelry Eyeglassess Soft Sunglass Bag Cloth (White and Black) at Amazon Women?s Clothing store:
Lets it slip in your pocket even easier because of the smooth fabric, and keep dust out when sitting on a table. Mine's always in one, even when in the tiny padded compact zipper case I got for it as well. Don't just leave it sitting on your table or floating about. If you're not using it, throw it in a tiny pouch.

03-07-2018, 09:59 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
The later might very well work if you screw a UV or skylight filter over the end of it. The FA43 work well simply because of the tight-fitting cap that goes with it.
This definitely makes it less pocket-friendly like I said, but still very small. Honestly, best thing you can do is keep it in a pouch when not in use. I use extra microfiber sunglass pouches (I always lose the sunglasses but never the pouch) like these: 4 Pack Microfiber Sunglasses Pouch Storage Cleaning and Case Holder for Glasses Cameras Cell Phone Jewelry Eyeglassess Soft Sunglass Bag Cloth (White and Black) at Amazon Women?s Clothing store:
Lets it slip in your pocket even easier because of the smooth fabric, and keep dust out when sitting on a table. Mine's always in one, even when in the tiny padded compact zipper case I got for it as well. Don't just leave it sitting on your table or floating about. If you're not using it, throw it in a tiny pouch.
Awesome!
Like I said I was looking for some alternative options to protect the lens but I don't own a 43mm LTD.
I've check the prices for the OEM 43mm ltd lens-hood: around $40. Which is almost what the GH-3 cost.
The aftermarket lens hoods starts at $5 like the one I commented the link, so I might just try with one of those.

At this point I don't mind making the GR a bit less pocketable because all the time I have it in a chunky Lowepro case!
This one:

I feel it's really well protected but I can't really put the camera and the case in my pocket.
I have to carry it hanging from my belt or in my backpack, so I might use your idea of using the sunglasses pouch!
I loved the possibility of having a camera in my pocket all the time, but since the first day I had the GR in the case because I know how dirty pockets can get.
One time I almost throw my phone to the garbage because wasn't charging at all anymore and it happened that just had a massive piece of lint in the charging port.

Something like this:

Thank you so much for the ideas and tips!
I'll let you know how they work on my GR and me