Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2017, 10:27 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Positive plea for the Ricoh GR on Petapixel

7 Reasons Why the Ricoh GR is the Perfect Travel Companion (For Now)

12-29-2017, 12:35 PM   #2

Thanks very much for posting for that! They are great photos and the author's remarks about the camera are very convincing and, indeed, seductive. I want a GR now.
12-29-2017, 05:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Great review. I seriously considered the GRII earlier in the year but opted for a HD DA 15 instead. The 16 MP GRII seemed roughly 2/3 the size of my K-5II and HD DA 21 combo and weighed less than half as much.

Here's another great review: Review: Ricoh GR II (One of the Best Compact Cameras We've Ever Tested)
12-29-2017, 06:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It’s a great camera! Almost perfect except for one thing: dust. If there was an easy way to clean the sensor I would have bought it, but the issue was reported too often to my taste and didn’t want to deal with that.

12-30-2017, 02:22 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeah there is always the dust monster, but I wonder how many people actually are affected. Those that are will be more present than those that aren't. Here's a poll: Poll: Ricoh GR - dust issue: Ricoh Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review (beware the dark side).
12-31-2017, 05:38 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A wonderful camera. For street shooting, you can preset the focus distance, so if you turn off sounds it's just about the perfect candid taker.

01-01-2018, 04:47 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you. Still easily the best workable landscape pocket monster there is. Would love one in 24mp.
In terms of the "RX100 is better" lot, honestly they have no clue - the detail and colour is so much better from the GR. Not for video, though....

01-02-2018, 02:23 PM   #8

Hey there guys.
I own a K-01, but it still is kind of big and I'm tired of carrying big cameras around.

So, I'm seriously thinking about getting this tiny beauty (GR), but there are some things making me doubt about it: the dust problem everyone's talk about and the possibility of a GRIII coming out soon.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be more than happy with just the GRII but the price it still around 600 and for sure is gonna drop down once the GRIII is released.

So! Should I just buy it anyway?

Last edited by Matias_baez; 01-02-2018 at 04:02 PM.
01-05-2018, 05:25 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Matias_baez Quote
Hey there guys.
I own a K-01, but it still is kind of big and I'm tired of carrying big cameras around.

So, I'm seriously thinking about getting this tiny beauty (GR), but there are some things making me doubt about it: the dust problem everyone's talk about and the possibility of a GRIII coming out soon.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be more than happy with just the GRII but the price it still around 600 and for sure is gonna drop down once the GRIII is released.

So! Should I just buy it anyway?
Personally, I would.

Ricoh has never said anything about a GRIII being released.

You're missing out in the meantime, IMHO, but it's your money, your decision!
01-05-2018, 07:39 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Personally, I would.

Ricoh has never said anything about a GRIII being released.

You're missing out in the meantime, IMHO, but it's your money, your decision!

Hi!
Thank you for replying back.
You're very right about Ricoh not saying anything about the GRIII.
In the meantime I'm just sitting here waiting.
Plus I've been looking for a camera that can be comparable to the GRII just to check on the other options out there, but none of the other options strike my interest really.
I guess I'm a Ricoh/Pentax fan boy sometimes
01-05-2018, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

01-07-2018, 10:35 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Great video, thanks for sharing!

But from all four of them, the Gr is by far the most appealing to me <3
01-27-2018, 09:17 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Matias_baez Quote
Great video, thanks for sharing!

But from all four of them, the Gr is by far the most appealing to me <3
I don't think you will have a single regret buying the GRII. Only not buying it sooner.

It's not a perfect camera but it is perfect for having with you at all times. I have had my GRII since 2016. Mechanically I haven't had any problem with it after much us. I have not seen any dust in my GRII and it has been in and out of a variety of pockets while turned on and off.

When the GRII was near release the GR was on sale for close to $400 including the optical viewfinder for free. Those supplies dried up fast. My only regret after getting the GRII was not buying the GR years earlier. I was hoping the GRII was going to have the 24mp sensor but that didn't happen. Fuji put basically the same 16mp sensor in the X70 their GR equivalent. The GRII had small cosmetic changes and the addition of built in WIFI over the GR. To buy the optical viewfinder today cost's over $250. There is also a 21mm wide angle conversion lens for the GR/GRII. I have been meaning to buy one but at $200 it hasn't been on the priority list of things.
01-27-2018, 09:37 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wish I hadn’t read that article. And here I thought I was getting my G.A.S. Problem at least a little under control...
02-01-2018, 08:32 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
I don't think you will have a single regret buying the GRII. Only not buying it sooner.

It's not a perfect camera but it is perfect for having with you at all times. I have had my GRII since 2016. Mechanically I haven't had any problem with it after much us. I have not seen any dust in my GRII and it has been in and out of a variety of pockets while turned on and off.

When the GRII was near release the GR was on sale for close to $400 including the optical viewfinder for free. Those supplies dried up fast. My only regret after getting the GRII was not buying the GR years earlier. I was hoping the GRII was going to have the 24mp sensor but that didn't happen. Fuji put basically the same 16mp sensor in the X70 their GR equivalent. The GRII had small cosmetic changes and the addition of built in WIFI over the GR. To buy the optical viewfinder today cost's over $250. There is also a 21mm wide angle conversion lens for the GR/GRII. I have been meaning to buy one but at $200 it hasn't been on the priority list of things.
There's also a very limited availability 35mm Macro attachment (GM-1). Sorely tempted... But another ~120USD.