Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2018, 01:47 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

The magical self-repairing GR

My GR photo playback button broke approximately 1 year ago. Around 1 month ago it started working again. I waited a few weeks before posting this to make sure it wasn't just momentary good luck. My luck has held.

The problem was likely triggered by a minor water immersion. My aftermarket pouch fell into water, stayed afloat, and was retrieved within 1 second. I immediately removed the camera from the pouch. There were only a few small droplets of water on the camera; the pouch did not soak through but the zippers are not waterproof. I wiped the camera dry and everything seemed fine for a few days.

The playback button became increasingly unreliable then stopped working around a week later. I assumed some water made it into that switch and caused corrosion or left dirt behind. Contact-cleaning spray, extra drying time, and full reset made no improvement. Everything else was still working fine; if I had to lose a switch that's probably the least-bad one.

I swapped batteries last month, accidentally hit the playback button, and got an image! It either took an exceptionally long time for the switch to dry, or the internal corrosion/dirt finally scraped off.

Today is a warm, sunny spring day. It's nice to have my favorite street photography camera working 100%.

04-24-2018, 03:17 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
All you need now is for it to hold out until the magical GRIII.