Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
06-03-2018, 05:23 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Would you like to have an updated Pentax or Ricoh GXR?

This is an old news item:
Leica mount for Ricoh GXR:
Ricoh GXR camera + A12 Leica M-mount unit review | Photo Rumors
There has been a rumour that Ricoh will re-brand the new GR camera to a Pentax when issued, and maybe concentrate all their cameras under one brand name. Back in 2011 Ricoh sold a mirrorless camera that had an optional EVF and was designed to handle different lens mounts.
It still seems like a good idea but came a little early for the current mirrorless craze, which may be fading back to in favour of DSLR's. Ricoh has been a little bit ahead or behind the popularity curve. If Ricoh could combine the new features of the Pentax KP into a GXR mirrorless GXR body, including K-mount, the articulating LCD screen, etc..
Ricoh would have a very popular mirrorless camera if a Sony or Nikon lens mount copy was available.

06-03-2018, 06:11 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I will restate, tiresomely, that Ricoh should develop an APS-C mirrorless with a very short lens registration distance, but offer it with an adapter that will allow K-mount lenses to be attached with full function transfer (= AF and aperture control for DSLR lenses; aperture control for older MF "A" lenses, etc.). I think the technical problem would be building into the adapter a mechanism to operate the mechanical aperture lever. Because Canon went to electronic aperture control long ago, with all electronic transfer between camera body and lens, their lenses can be used on MFT bodies with full camera-body control of aperture, full transfer of data, but limited control of AF (=works with some lenses, not others, and AF is generally slower and less reliable when a Canon lens is on an MFT body than when on a Canon body).
06-03-2018, 08:09 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

A mirrorless APS-C Pentax body, with a GXR style swappable mount, would be a wickedly cool camera. Just the lens mount, mind you;
the sensor would be fixed in the camera body and not in the mount. Perhaps even make it an open standard like the K-mount. That way
third parties could release modules for virtually any mount
06-03-2018, 08:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 22codfish Quote
This is an old news item:
Leica mount for Ricoh GXR:
Ricoh GXR camera + A12 Leica M-mount unit review | Photo Rumors
There has been a rumour that Ricoh will re-brand the new GR camera to a Pentax when issued, and maybe concentrate all their cameras under one brand name. Back in 2011 Ricoh sold a mirrorless camera that had an optional EVF and was designed to handle different lens mounts.
It still seems like a good idea but came a little early for the current mirrorless craze, which may be fading back to in favour of DSLR's. Ricoh has been a little bit ahead or behind the popularity curve. If Ricoh could combine the new features of the Pentax KP into a GXR mirrorless GXR body, including K-mount, the articulating LCD screen, etc..
Ricoh would have a very popular mirrorless camera if a Sony or Nikon lens mount copy was available.
Unfortunately, Ricoh seems to have learned the wrong lesson from the K-01; I would have purchased a K-01, instead of the K-30 I did purchase, if it had had an EVF. I think a lot of people felt the same way, but instead of learning the importance of EVF, Pentax seems to have given up on any form of MILC until they cannot sell their namesake Pentaprisms.

06-03-2018, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
but instead of learning the importance of EVF, Pentax seems to have given up on any form of MILC until they cannot sell their namesake Pentaprisms.
I highly suspect it has more to do with R&D costs of an EVF than sentimental attachment to the Pentaprism.
06-03-2018, 08:37 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
I highly suspect it has more to do with R&D costs of an EVF than sentimental attachment to the Pentaprism.
Pentax could always surprise us; when asked about MILC at the recent CP+, a Ricoh representative said that the "Q" was low priority because they are concentrating on the "K" family; I suppose their reported wording leaves room for what I call a 'K-07', putting the K-70 mechanism in a K-01 body {hopefully with EVF this time}, but I would be shocked if that actually happens. I have said I would purchase a camera like that {with EVF} right away, even if I had to borrow the money (*), but I consider that to be a rather safe promise - it would be 'rash' only if I thought there were any chance at all of their actually doing it.

(*) right now I'm saving up for a KP to replace my K-30; I expect that to happen in about a year.
06-03-2018, 08:40 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Looking at what’s out there today, developing a viable EVF is hard. If Pentax has limited technical resources, it might not be the place to invest them.

06-03-2018, 08:44 AM   #8
Banned

The GXR had a limited succes. Not much sales in most countries. The A12 had very limited sales. Partly because GXR did not have any tracktion and then the sensor was a little outdated by the time it got out. In 2011 the 16mp sensor that also was in K-5 was the sensor to go with. I don't see any succes in trying this again in this way.
06-03-2018, 09:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Looking at what’s out there today, developing a viable EVF is hard. If Pentax has limited technical resources, it might not be the place to invest them.
Off the shelf solutions are available...., for a price.

Sony reveals faster, higher-res OLED viewfinder display: Digital Photography Review
06-03-2018, 09:07 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Pentax lost ground in the last two "tipping points" - autofocus and digital; I'm not sure they can afford to miss a third one.
06-03-2018, 09:13 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I will restate, tiresomely, that Ricoh should develop an APS-C mirrorless with a very short lens registration distance, but offer it with an adapter that will allow K-mount lenses to be attached with full function transfer (= AF and aperture control for DSLR lenses; aperture control for older MF "A" lenses, etc.). I think the technical problem would be building into the adapter a mechanism to operate the mechanical aperture lever. Because Canon went to electronic aperture control long ago, with all electronic transfer between camera body and lens, their lenses can be used on MFT bodies with full camera-body control of aperture, full transfer of data, but limited control of AF (=works with some lenses, not others, and AF is generally slower and less reliable when a Canon lens is on an MFT body than when on a Canon body).
It also allowed Sigma to make an AF adapter for Sony E/FE mount cameras...
06-03-2018, 09:21 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I believe the size benefits of MILC are over-stated. Pentax could build a K-mount MILC and still get the major benefits of MILC - EVF, CDAF, and high burst rate.
06-03-2018, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Hi,
not exact answer to the post, but I hope it is not OT. I would buy "k-70 MILC with EVF". And no I am not in MILC vs DSLR war, because i think it make no sense. I use my K-70 and a7s. They are just different tools, both with strong and weak points. If I could shoot only with one camera from this two I would stay with K-70 without any doubts. But there are situations where a7s works better for me (no, not only low light and video). As I prefer k-70 design, build and general handling I would trade Sony for Ricoh/Pentax MILC (if it would be compatible with k-mount modern lenses - can be through proper Ricoh/Pentax adapter). But EVF and proper (just average not "the best") video would be a must from my point of view.

PS. DSLR and MILC are great tools now.
06-03-2018, 11:37 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
A mirrorless APS-C Pentax body, with a GXR style swappable mount, would be a wickedly cool camera. Just the lens mount, mind you;
the sensor would be fixed in the camera body and not in the mount. Perhaps even make it an open standard like the K-mount. That way
third parties could release modules for virtually any mount
^ ^ ^ Nothing to add... (always thought the GXR with M-mount was just too cool.

Steve
06-03-2018, 11:44 AM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by 22codfish Quote
Would you like to have an updated Pentax
I wish list is simple... easily user interchangeable focus screens (of the LX SA-23 type), ideally shim less, for use FF DSLR and fast "Ladies".