Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
06-03-2018, 12:52 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I wish list is simple... easily user interchangeable focus screens (of the LX SA-23 type), ideally shim less, for use FF DSLR and fast "Ladies".
I really doubt you're going to find anything that complex on a modern MILC.

Focus peaking is quite good once you get used to it.

06-03-2018, 01:06 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 22codfish Quote
There has been a rumour that Ricoh will re-brand the new GR camera to a Pentax when issued, and maybe concentrate all their cameras under one brand name.
When Ricoh acquired Pentax, I did not understand why they wouldn't brand under a single name, Pentax, unless there were legal reasons. Toyota learned that lesson when they finally disposed of the Scion moniker.

Years ago, I would buy my mother (native Japanese, but a US citizen) a new 35mm point and shoot every 3-4 years. I would shop and research/compare all the makes and the last one I bought her was one of the best (in its price range); a Ricoh. Unfortunately, she couldn't get past the name on the camera and I am certain for every Riconite, there must be 50 Pentaxians.

It is JUST a name, but consumer and pros develop our biases for very subjective reasons.
06-03-2018, 01:27 PM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
I highly suspect it has more to do with R&D costs of an EVF than sentimental attachment to the Pentaprism.
But Ricoh had an EVR for the GXR years before they took over Pentax. I feel like it may be more of a business strategy.

To me the reasons the GXR was discontinued so clearly remain a little murky, but I feel like there just wasn't enough demand. Other companies do mirrorless really well, after all.

Now if Ricoh could get multiple AF mounts onto a GXR-style body, then that may be another story...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-03-2018, 01:42 PM   #19
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Now if Ricoh could get multiple AF mounts onto a GXR-style body, then that may be another story...
How is that going to make a healthy business case? Back engineering those mounts, so you hope people buy it to use the Canon and Sigma lenses they already own?

Up till now Ricoh did not make a single AF mount for GXR. Just the one dummy M-mount. Not even a K-mount once they bought Pentax.

06-03-2018, 05:02 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I will restate, tiresomely, that Ricoh should develop an APS-C mirrorless with a very short lens registration distance, but offer it with an adapter that will allow K-mount lenses to be attached with full function transfer (= AF and aperture control for DSLR lenses; aperture control for older MF "A" lenses, etc.). I think the technical problem would be building into the adapter a mechanism to operate the mechanical aperture lever. Because Canon went to electronic aperture control long ago, with all electronic transfer between camera body and lens, their lenses can be used on MFT bodies with full camera-body control of aperture, full transfer of data, but limited control of AF (=works with some lenses, not others, and AF is generally slower and less reliable when a Canon lens is on an MFT body than when on a Canon body).
Canon did this with their EOS-M. The adapter allows full function with all their EF and EF-S lens include full and complete EXIF data transfer. I haven't heard of EOS-M sales being stellar. Can Ricoh afford the R&D and production resources for a product that would likely just take sales away from existing K-mount users rather than attract new buyers.

Motors for an aperture lever and screw drive would be feasible at the cost of size, weight, bulk and power consumption. Easier just to deal with the KAF4 mount and PLM.

Canon might be able to write off a flop. Can Ricoh afford to?

Canon EOS-M5 with Dual Pixel AF!
06-03-2018, 06:00 PM   #21
Pentaxian

The GXR m-module produced the best edge to edge performance for m lenses during its time and in fact for a long time after that.
The NEX suffered from edge softness and/or color casts on corners.
It was as close to a poor man's M8 as was possible with no funny UV filter problem like the M8, though the latter wins out with the 1.3x crop and RF operation (if you care for it).

The module has respect from m lens users and I'd think that there is enough of a niche market for it if done well.

An apsc GXR with voightlander 12mm or 15mm, Voightlander/Canon(ltm) 35mm, RF 50mm is really a nice small and highly viable kit.
06-03-2018, 10:58 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
(...)

Motors for an aperture lever and screw drive would be feasible at the cost of size, weight, bulk and power consumption. (...)
Sony have that in their portfolio: the LA-EA4 adapter, which also includes a phase-detection autofocus module.

06-04-2018, 01:12 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

That's it. Bulk.
Not that it doesn't work. Just....

What the point?
06-04-2018, 04:57 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
When Ricoh acquired Pentax, I did not understand why they wouldn't brand under a single name, Pentax, unless there were legal reasons. Toyota learned that lesson when they finally disposed of the Scion moniker.
But their "Lexus" brand is still going strong.
06-04-2018, 06:57 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
That's it. Bulk.
Not that it doesn't work. Just....

What the point?
Look how long it has taken Pentax to create all the DFA lenses people say they need.

A handy device like that makes old lenses available while they work on new ones.
06-04-2018, 08:27 AM   #26
Pentaxian

It only has a use if you change mount.<br />
If K-mount is abandoned, as was a-mount, it would be needed.<br />
Otherwise I really don't see it.
06-04-2018, 08:31 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I also don't see the point with new GXR products - even more so if it's about new mount modules.
Why would they support other brands' camera mounts? To encourage sales of other makers' lenses?
06-04-2018, 08:32 AM   #28

Original Poster
This is an old news item:
Leica mount for Ricoh GXR:
Ricoh GXR camera + A12 Leica M-mount unit review | Photo Rumors
There has been a rumour that Ricoh will re-brand the new GR camera to a Pentax when issued, and maybe concentrate all their cameras under one brand name. Back in 2011 Ricoh sold a mirrorless camera that had an optional EVF and was designed to handle different lens mounts.
It still seems like a good idea but came a little early for the current mirrorless craze, which may be fading back to in favour of DSLR's. Ricoh has been a little bit ahead or behind the popularity curve. If Ricoh could combine the new features of the Pentax KP into a GXR mirrorless GXR body, including K-mount, the articulating LCD screen, etc..
Ricoh would have a very popular mirrorless camera if a Sony or Nikon lens mount copy was available.
I intended to include: If a Sony or Nikon lens mount could be included, just think of all the other different manufacturers' lenses, such as Sigma, which would also be available to Pentax users.
06-04-2018, 08:55 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I intended to include: If a Sony or Nikon lens mount could be included, just think of all the other different manufacturers' lenses, such as Sigma, which would also be available to Pentax users.
I'm afraid that's not true. A Ricoh camera module using Sony, Nikon or Sigma lenses do not make one a Pentax user.
06-04-2018, 01:11 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My ideal camera would be something between the size of the Q and a K-01, with a compact K-mount adapter (say, the size of a 1.4x teleconverter) and a new mirrorless lens mount. But I'm a dreamer.
Name it the MX-D or the LX-D, for good measure.