Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2018, 01:36 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd be pretty interested in GR update actually, APSC sensor, IBIS if possible (even if they had to increase the body size a little bit), updated af module, better weather resistance. Can stay 12mp for all I care (especially if they can make it perform better with lower mp count), I'd just use it for travelling light and street stuff. It'd be a nice analogue to Fuji X100 series, but smaller and with IBIS

06-04-2018, 02:10 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by babywriter Quote
My ideal camera would be something between the size of the Q and a K-01, with a compact K-mount adapter (say, the size of a 1.4x teleconverter) and a new mirrorless lens mount. But I'm a dreamer.
Name it the MX-D or the LX-D, for good measure.
I'd be happy with one the size of a K-01, as long as they could include an EVF and keep the price under $1000. At this point in my life, both "no EVF" and "over $1000" are 'deal breakers', despite my earlier bravado comments that I would purchase 'immediately' any MILC they produced with EVF.
06-04-2018, 07:28 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Compact cameras would seem to have almost no market left. Ricoh needs to invest in their Pentax products.
06-06-2018, 07:58 PM   #34

I think small light travel camera done right still has a demand. There are still a bunch of us guys who prefer a real camera in taking pictures rather than using a cellphone.

08-25-2018, 05:17 AM   #35
pxt

Cellphone is only when you can take shot, baceuse you don't have DSL in your hand. Compact Pentax with APS-C or larger sensor with water proof in new line it would be nice idea.
08-25-2018, 06:49 PM   #36

For me small is better, since I often carry a camera all day. Whether it is Pentax or GR matters less than something I can carry comfortably from dawn to dusk and beyond, with better ergonomics and image quality than my phone which I also carry all the time.
08-25-2018, 07:22 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A small and light DSLR or MILC would be my request. To me that's my only thing I envy about MILC.

08-25-2018, 08:25 PM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I'd be pretty interested in GR update actually, APSC sensor, IBIS if possible (even if they had to increase the body size a little bit), updated af module, better weather resistance. Can stay 12mp for all I care (especially if they can make it perform better with lower mp count), I'd just use it for travelling light and street stuff. It'd be a nice analogue to Fuji X100 series, but smaller and with IBIS
If they do add IBIS maybe they can add the dust removal thing like in other Pentax models too.
08-26-2018, 07:36 AM   #39
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I believe the size benefits of MILC are over-stated. Pentax could build a K-mount MILC and still get the major benefits of MILC - EVF, CDAF, and high burst rate.
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
A small and light DSLR or MILC would be my request. To me that's my only thing I envy about MILC.
The weight differnce (and I guess size too) to current mirrorless (fuji, sony etc...) is smaller than most people think. If you put the same performance level glass on it, the gain is about 10% or so. I recently watched Thomas Heatons video where he wanted to buy a fuji system to reduce the weight of his 5DIV. As he had all items in his shopping cart, he calulated the weight before clicking the order button. The difference was so small that he did not want to sacrifice so much money and FF image quality for that bit of weight. He came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth it and he could save much more weight in other stuff he carries around.

However, a GR with small changable lenses would be tempting if it was pocketable and really light while having very good image quality. But I don't know whether that is even feasable in terms of technology.
08-26-2018, 11:42 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I think current gr is almost perfect) a newer sensor with better high iso, and maybe better af, and video (I tried shooting a video once with GRII, and it was atrocious lol). Everything else can stay the same, even design wise, I'd buy it
08-26-2018, 07:43 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always thought the GXR was an interesting concept, but at this point I’d rather see either a new mirrorless system or a reimagining of the K-01 into something a bit more capable that still can take advantage of K-mount lenses while managing to keep an even more compact form factor (tall order, I know, but I’m sure there has to be a workable solution).
08-27-2018, 08:53 AM   #42

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 22codfish Quote
This is an old news item:
Leica mount for Ricoh GXR:
Ricoh GXR camera + A12 Leica M-mount unit review | Photo Rumors
There has been a rumour that Ricoh will re-brand the new GR camera to a Pentax when issued, and maybe concentrate all their cameras under one brand name. Back in 2011 Ricoh sold a mirrorless camera that had an optional EVF and was designed to handle different lens mounts.
It still seems like a good idea but came a little early for the current mirrorless craze, which may be fading back to in favour of DSLR's. Ricoh has been a little bit ahead or behind the popularity curve. If Ricoh could combine the new features of the Pentax KP into a GXR mirrorless GXR body, including K-mount, the articulating LCD screen, etc..
Ricoh would have a very popular mirrorless camera if a Sony or Nikon lens mount copy was available.
There is a rumour that Richo/Pentax is considering a 24 MP camera that is not a DSLR. If the 24 MP is not a DSLR than it is a good bet it will be a high-quality travel camera. This could be a GX, which today would have to have an electronic viewfinder and LCD to compete with Sony and Panasonic.

If it is marketed as a travel camera to compete with cell phones, Sony and Panasonic than it camera should have at least two features together which are not in a Sony or Pansonic. Two features that are both not in Sony or Panasonic; Sony does not have GPS and Panasonic does not have an articulating LCD screen. Also if Ricoh/Pentax added the emergency option to use AA batteries and AW would be other selling options for a travel camera.
08-27-2018, 09:02 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Would you like to have an updated Pentax or Ricoh GXR?
Just for the record... no.
08-27-2018, 03:15 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've moved this thread as it's neither news nor rumour.