Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-11-2018, 10:47 PM   #1

GR II - Autofocus noise

Hi,

Does this sound normal to you ?

The GR is second hand. I have a doubt about this noise, I never noticed that in the test videos on the internet.

Thanks !

07-13-2018, 01:18 AM   #2
Rez

Original Poster
Feeling lonely here...

Anybody could tell me if his GR sounds like that or not ? Is the autofocus noisy ?
07-13-2018, 02:38 AM   #3
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Very hard to judge the volume, but the "quality" of the noise is very much like that of my GR. It's not very loud though - in the video it sounds like the table gives resonance.
07-13-2018, 03:59 AM   #4
Rez

Original Poster
Thanks savoche. You're right about the resonance on the table, but that noise is rather loud. In a quiet room, it's clearly noticeable.

07-13-2018, 04:16 AM   #5
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

It is far from noiseless, but it has never bothered me. Listening to other recordings leads me to think there's nothing abnormal about the noise from your GRII. We might still have different views on what's acceptable noise, though

Here's one I found on Youtube.

07-13-2018, 09:32 AM   #6
Rez

Original Poster
I don't know what to think ... I found other videos in which the autofocus is almost inaudible. Maybe there are variations from one copy to another?

Actually my doubts come from the connection that might be between a possible abnormal noise and the reliability and the performance of the autofocus.
The noise itself wouldn't really bother me if it's in the norm. I could deal with it because I like this camera a lot so far.

07-15-2018, 07:15 AM   #7
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Unfortunately I don't have any experience beyond my own GR - which I bought secondhand and well used. There have been no problems with the autofocus, though, or anything else for that matter. It focuses precisely at all f-stops. It should be well past 10,000 shots by now - I can check the debug data later on.

I'm sorry I can't provide any better response to your concern.

08-07-2018, 09:33 AM   #8
Rez

Original Poster
Just an update. I've contacted Ricoh support wich confirmed that there's something wrong and that the camera needs to be serviced.
I returned it to the seller and got a refund...

I wonder what to do now, look for another GRII or wait for the GRIII to be announced...
08-08-2018, 01:03 AM   #9
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rez Quote
Just an update. I've contacted Ricoh support wich confirmed that there's something wrong and that the camera needs to be serviced.
I returned it to the seller and got a refund...
I guess that's both bad and good news. At least good that you found out.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rez Quote
I wonder what to do now, look for another GRII or wait for the GRIII to be announced...
Always the dilemma, isn't it. Now, if they announce a GRIII in September (as some loose romours will have it) it could be worth the wait - if nothing else it might bring down the price of the GRII some. Then again, if no announcement is imminent it would mean a long period of having no GR at all.

I ususally prefer to buy what I need when I need it without looking too much at what might come, but it's never an easy decision to make.
08-08-2018, 11:24 PM - 1 Like   #10
Rez

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Now, if they announce a GRIII in September (as some loose romours will have it).
I'm a believer !

But if I find a really good deal, I might not wait...