Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
07-20-2018, 07:49 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Shots fired! The XF10, Fujifilm's GR competitor

Fujifilm XF10 is an Ultra-Light Compact Camera with an APS-C Sensor

APS-C sensor? Check.
Fixed 18ish.mm focal length with max f/2.8 aperture? Check.
Unobtrusive black matte body? Check (unless you go for the Champagne Gold model)? Check

Big obvious differences (I'm sure there are more):
- Touchscreen
- 24 megapixels
- Wifi AND bluetooth
- Cheap(er) at $499

I'm looking forward to a complete review.

07-20-2018, 07:58 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Hopefully it has a sharp lens and can fit in the pants' pocket easily. I've been intrigued by the GR II but this camera's touchscreen, 24 megapixels, newer technology, and lower MSRP all look very interesting!
07-20-2018, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like a nice camera, but I will not be getting rid of the GR2. This new one seems to use the same lens as the X70 and the GR2 is sharper than the X70 according to all reviews I've read. Adding the extra megapixels will probably not help the XF10 as far as sharpness goes. The XF10 also has no hot shoe I actually use a Fuji flash in manual on the GR2 sometimes, it makes for a nice compact set up.
07-20-2018, 10:16 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
These fixed lens APS cameras are intriguing niche products indeed! Ricoh seems to own the space and I think this Fuji can pose a real threat. IQ, focus speed, and battery life will be the qualities that make or break this new entry. I wonder how Ricoh will respond. Coming up a wish list for a GR III sounds easy, like a 20MP or 24MP sensor, touch screen, etc. I don't know how all those features are optimized to fit in with the GR design though. Ricoh probably doesn't want to become a "me too" or "me three" follower of Fuji. Hmm!

Personally, I'll stick with my Oly M10 + 20mm pancake. It's not as small or pocketable but it scratches my itch for small and powerful.

07-20-2018, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #5

I was somewhat excited until I saw no viewfinder (like the GR) At least the GR has an add-on viewfinder but then the price of the bundle starts getting too much for a "fun camera" when I have a K-1 already.
07-24-2018, 01:52 PM   #6

No hotshoe makes it a no go for me
07-24-2018, 04:58 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For those talking about viewfinders, remember that this is street photography, the way to get a 28mm FF field of view you snap your pic from close to your face, to get the 35mm field of view you hold it out at near arm's length, so you frame the way you do a phone, using the screen.

If there's a GR III, it'll probably have that Sony 24Mp sensor.

07-28-2018, 05:00 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Viewfinder? Nope.
Hot shoe? No, also.
Two control dials? No, what's that mean?
Add-on wide lens? No way.

Except for all that, this looks like a winner! And it probably will, because so few people even know Ricoh makes cameras...
08-03-2018, 12:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Touchscreen, WiFI, Bluetooth... all large battery hits. Top dial settings control looks to be far less one-handed than GR design/control sensibility.
It has a larger sensor because it's 3 years newer, but will the sensor/lens combo be able to match the ridiculous output of the GR?
In my opinion, it looks like a GR, smells like a GR, but it's not going to be a GR when you're behind the wheel. I'm sure it's a fine camera though.