Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2018, 12:12 AM   #1

GR digital ll 10mp

Had the above some time now but have been frustrated about what to set it up on for B&W Street photography read many conflicting things I am not very knowledgable about P,M,A etc. I would probably like it in snap Which I understand is 1.5m focus distance so can someone point me in the right direction with settings to compliment that ie P or M etc. Iso setting, exposure + or - I can then set it up in My1 and have a starting point to experiment from.
Thanks in advance Paul

07-30-2018, 11:25 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
08-03-2018, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That video is not for the camera the OP is asking about, but for the GRII.
The OP has the GR Digital II.
Ricoh's naming convention change with the advent of the "GR" certainly convoluted discussion about the different cameras in the line.

---------- Post added 08-03-18 at 11:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by paul.edwards.948 Quote
Had the above some time now but have been frustrated about what to set it up on for B&W Street photography read many conflicting things I am not very knowledgable about P,M,A etc. I would probably like it in snap Which I understand is 1.5m focus distance so can someone point me in the right direction with settings to compliment that ie P or M etc. Iso setting, exposure + or - I can then set it up in My1 and have a starting point to experiment from.
Thanks in advance Paul
Your question is gigantically variable. Whichever mode you're in you can change settings to whatever you like. Exp comp, snap focus distance, white balance, etc. etc., and then use the "Reg My Settings" option in the menu to write that settings configuration to My1, My2 or My3.
At the default settings P is program mode, M is manual, and A is aperture priority. You can change settings whilst within these modes but you can't make those changes permanent to that mode; you have to write them to a "My" position.

Incidentally, snap focus is changeable as well at least on my GRDigital III and GRDigital IV models. It can be set to different distances, not just 1.5M.
But that may not be the case for the GRDigital or GRDigital II ... Sorry I'm not able to answer definitively; I've not used the two original versions of the digital line.
A rule of thumb with the Ricoh GR line is that each *second* release is a minor refresh, so much of what you can find for information regarding the GRDigital1 will apply to the GRDigital2 (yours).

original GRDigital --> minor refresh GRDigital II
major refresh GRDigital III --> minor refresh GRDigital IV
major refresh GR --> minor refresh GR II

Clear as mud, eh? It gets even a bit further murky because Ricoh has always been so proactive (wonderfully so) with firmware updates and many later function enhancements were added to previous models. So, make sure your firmware is up-to-date.

---------- Post added 08-03-18 at 11:59 AM ----------

Additionally, you need to understand P/M/T/S modes. The GR series is essentially a tiny DSLR that is very configurable. That's why it's loved.
Do a little research on those modes so you understand what the camera is attempting to do for you in each one.

Here's a basic summation to start:
Shutter vs Aperture vs Manual vs Program DSLR Shooting Modes - Tested

Last edited by Eyewanders; 08-03-2018 at 11:48 AM.