Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2018, 11:52 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
GR ii for Astrophotography

Hi All,
I'm just GAS'in here for the moment, but it occured to me that at 18.3mm and sharp at f2.8, the GR / GRii should make a fine stacking camera for astro work for the milky way. Yet I don't see too much evidence of it. Am I mistaken?

The small size of the lens elements could work against it, but it should be good for 16 seconds before trailing occurs.

I realize that is just one small part of it's armoury and it has many attributes beside that

Any thoughts or trials from GR users?

I am also contemplating a Sigma 17-50 f2.8 for the K-3ii, but at the wide end the GR solves the infinity focus issue without a mask. Beside which, with 18mm covered, I can use 200mm on the K-3ii to attempt the Andromeda Galaxy (I have two tripods and this kit would be small).

As yet, the weather is not too cooperative but I'm hoping September is going to be somewhat better.

08-27-2018, 04:43 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Keep in mind that at 200mm you will need a tracking mount for your camera since astrotracer depends on the angle the lens projects on the sensor. A wider lens can allow tracking for longer.
08-27-2018, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #3

It's not bad. I've gone out a few times this summer. The interface is really nice to work with as far as setting infinity focus and the intervalometer. You're going to need at least 10 or 15 shots to stack to get something serviceable. I would stick with good conditions though (new moon and low light pollution). Also pack an extra battery or two especially if it's cold. Below is one I took during the last new moon. The worst of the banding/blotchyness is from a quick compression. It should at least give you some idea though. I think that was with 10 or 15 shots (and no dark frames etc. which would have helped some). If milky way photography is something you are doing regularly it will probably have you wishing for different gear but for the occasional night out or for travel I like it.
Attached Images

08-28-2018, 05:07 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
Keep in mind that at 200mm you will need a tracking mount for your camera since astrotracer depends on the angle the lens projects on the sensor. A wider lens can allow tracking for longer.
Yes, I realise that even with astrotracker I will only get maybe 20 seconds (as opposed to 1.5 to 2 seconds without), the effectiveness is dependent on the angle of the object in the sky and Andromeda is in the weakest zone.

I have been reading up on CLS filters and red filters that give a decent dent on pollution that can be used from quite poor sites, but I'm not hooked enough for a dedicated mount yet

QuoteOriginally posted by wingspan Quote
It's not bad. I've gone out a few times this summer. The interface is really nice to work with as far as setting infinity focus and the intervalometer. You're going to need at least 10 or 15 shots to stack to get something serviceable. I would stick with good conditions though (new moon and low light pollution). Also pack an extra battery or two especially if it's cold. Below is one I took during the last new moon. The worst of the banding/blotchyness is from a quick compression. It should at least give you some idea though. I think that was with 10 or 15 shots (and no dark frames etc. which would have helped some). If milky way photography is something you are doing regularly it will probably have you wishing for different gear but for the occasional night out or for travel I like it.
Excellent work!. That is the sort of thing I would be aiming for. I have a limited number of dark sky locations with foreground targets so a dedicated wide lens would see limited use. The GR on the other hand has a world of other uses. Similarly a 17-50 f2.8 would have more uses than a wide angle prime but I have those FL covered except for the fast aperture.

07-30-2019, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #5

I took this image of the Milky Way over Lake Tahoe with my Ricoh GR2.
Settings: ISO 1600, f2.8, 15 sec and manual focus to infinity.

07-31-2019, 12:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rjpinaz Quote
I took this image of the Milky Way over Lake Tahoe with my Ricoh GR2.
Settings: ISO 1600, f2.8, 15 sec and manual focus to infinity.
ripinaz, Thank you for posting this. Is that a single shot or a stack? either way it shows the versatility of the camera, nice work.
07-31-2019, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #7

Thanks Kevin!
That is a single photo, with some basic editing in Lightroom.