Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-28-2018, 07:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Anyone recommend a case for GR II?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I've had a look at the Ricoh GC-5 leather case and I'm not a big fan. Bit too fiddly and flashy, and the reviews are not great, with the two halves coming apart too easy...

So I'm looking for a recommendation for a simple pouch type case that will keep the dust and dirt out, provide a little padding, and fit quite snugly without adding too much bulk.

Thanks in advance.

09-28-2018, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote

So I'm looking for a recommendation for a simple pouch type case that will keep the dust and dirt out, provide a little padding, and fit quite snugly without adding too much bulk.
Don 't know if you can get this from the UK, but the one I have is very nice.

https://optechusa.com/hipster-pouch.html
09-28-2018, 09:12 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I use a Pearstone OCP250B CB1212 case. I selected it by visiting B&H and testing my GR1 (same size as GR2) in a lot of cases.

It's a fabric, zippered case with a little bit of padding. GR1 and two spare batteries barely fit.

I use the belt loop. I think it came with a neck strap, too, but I discarded that long ago.
09-28-2018, 09:22 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A search for 'neoprene lens pouch' returned options. I bought one years ago for my GR and it works well (no dust so far).

09-28-2018, 01:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
Don 't know if you can get this from the UK, but the one I have is very nice.

Hipster Pouch | OP/TECH USA
Seems to be discontinued...but optech have a few options I will check out, thanks.

---------- Post added 09-28-18 at 01:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I use a Pearstone OCP250B CB1212 case.
I can't find this one either. But your post made me think that maybe the best bet is to visit a couple of camera stores with the GR and see what fits best. Thanks.
09-28-2018, 03:38 PM   #6

I don't own a GR, but you can check B&H Photo they listed the following item for your camera. Ruggard HFV-250 Protective Camera Case.
10-02-2018, 05:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had a look at the Ricoh GC-5 leather case and I'm not a big fan. Bit too fiddly and flashy, and the reviews are not great, with the two halves coming apart too easy...

Thanks in advance.
Most of the time I use a sunglass, microfiber pouch - the simple fabric type with a drawstring.
But the case I've used for all my GRs was Lowepro tiny thing I picked up in an electronics store back in '09 for my GRDIII. I used it for the GR as well.
But last year (earlier this year perhaps? can't recall) I bought a GRDIV because I'd been missing the GRDIII since parting with it so sought out another case for the GR since it was rather snug in the Lowepro.

TL|DR .... this is the case.
AmazonBasics Case for Point-and-Shoot Camera Large: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo
The only thing I don't like are the zipper pulls which are metal and so they "click" when you the hit the zips. I've been meaning to cut them off and replace wit cheap replacement backpack zipper pulls but haven't gotten around to it. I have the LARGE version but I think the MEDIUM might work as well for the GR. With the Large version I have I can fit the GR inside with the adapter attach with a lenscap, or with my small hood ... but just barely. Without that attached there's plenty of room. Two spare batteries fit in the outside zip in either scenario. Works well. And it's cheap as chips. I bet the medium would work for just the bare GR and nothing attached but don't hold me to that.

10-02-2018, 06:05 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@victormeldrew

Kata ZP-5DL small belt pouch is a perfect fit for the GR / GRll and a spare battery. Barely know it is there when you run your belt through the loop, yet is always zipper accessible. Pictures #2 & #3 fell the story.
10-08-2018, 01:19 AM   #9
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
@victormeldrew

Kata ZP-5DL small belt pouch is a perfect fit for the GR / GRll and a spare battery. Barely know it is there when you run your belt through the loop, yet is always zipper accessible. Pictures #2 & #3 fell the story.
Looks nice. I have a different Kata bag; it fits fairiy comfortably but has no room for extra batteries: DF-408 DL | Kata Bags
10-08-2018, 04:33 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Looks nice. I have a different Kata bag; it fits fairiy comfortably but has no room for extra batteries: DF-408 DL | Kata Bags
Good one! The vertical orientation seems convenient.

.:
10-09-2018, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK...in the end my head was whirling from too many options, many discontinued, some only US market, then spent too much time with a tape measure peering at spec sheets and viewing too many reviews and wishing I could just try it on... So, I took my GR to my local large electricals place where they sell gopros and fuji compacts and a handful of bridge cameras and had a look in their bag aisle and found this:

Lowepro Apex 30 AW
Here it is on amazon: Lowepro Apex 30 AW Digital Camera Pouch - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

The fit is SNUG. Just barely enough room for the camera length and width wise, but with enough depth for a spare battery or two and an SD card or two in the internal pocket. It's water resistant and tough and has a neck strap and a belt loop. It has a little padding, but not so much as to make it bulky, and it's discreet enough not to shout 'rob me'. So, if anyone is searching this in the future, I recommend it if that's what you're looking for.
10-13-2018, 03:05 AM   #12
Veteran Member

OK...in the end my head was whirling from too many options, many discontinued, some only US market, then spent too much time with a tape measure peering at spec sheets and viewing too many reviews and wishing I could just try it on... So, I took my GR to my local large electricals place where they sell gopros and fuji compacts and a handful of bridge cameras and had a look in their bag aisle and found this:

Lowepro Apex 30 AW
Here it is on amazon: Lowepro Apex 30 AW Digital Camera Pouch - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

The fit is SNUG. Just barely enough room for the camera length and width wise, but with enough depth for a spare battery or two and an SD card or two in the internal pocket. It's water resistant and tough and has a neck strap and a belt loop. It has a little padding, but not so much as to make it bulky, and it's discreet enough not to shout 'rob me'. So, if anyone is searching this in the future, I recommend it if that's what you're looking for.
I was just about to recommend this pouch, I've used one for a while with my GR. As you say the fit is snug, but if you put the handgrip at the top, you can charge it with the USB cable without removing it from the case.
01-13-2019, 08:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm using a Caselogic with a side zip to hold batteries and extra cards if required. Its very similar to this one Case Logic Point and Shoot Camera Case - Case Logic

LOL! Just noticed I am months late with a post to this thread. Oh well...

Last edited by kyteflyer; 01-13-2019 at 08:10 PM.
01-15-2019, 05:20 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Manfrotto bought Kata and the pouches seem to be no longer available in USA.
I bought a Lowepro Dublin 30 pouch, which is just large enough for camera only.

Chris
01-30-2019, 08:49 AM   #15

The Think Tank 'Stuff It' is also worth a consideration.

I think the big question is if you are plan on expanding the add-ons with your Ricoh GR II.
- extra battery
- viewfinder
- tele conversions