Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2018, 08:43 PM   #1
Forum Member

GR II now selling for $500 new. Time to buy?

My GR got ruined in a rainstorm and I was holding out replacing it hoping they’d add WR. With the GR III announcement, it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen. And the price guideline on that camera is “sub 1000 euro”, according to DPReview, which doesn’t look too promising.

I can’t imagine the GR III is twice the camera the GR II (at US$500) is. 24 MP and IBIS are nice, but losing the dedicated exp comp rocker and flash aren’t so nice. WR would have sealed (ha!) the deal for me, though. Ah well.

What do y’all think? Grab a new GR II while they’re still available? I can’t imagine them going much less than US$500 brand new. Maybe $30-$50 more, but that’s negligible in my mind compared to potentially $900 to $1000 for a GR III.

10-28-2018, 08:54 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Had the same thought. I say we grab GR II.
10-28-2018, 09:21 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobdobbs Quote
What do y’all think? Grab a new GR II while they’re still available? I can’t imagine them going much less than US$500 brand new. Maybe $30-$50 more, but that’s negligible in my mind compared to potentially $900 to $1000 for a GR III.
I would say go for it. It's unlikely that it will go any lower before selling out IMO. $499 is an amazing deal on an amazing camera- even if it's starting to show it's age with that 2013 tech.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-29-2018, 12:12 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've been back and forth whether to pull the trigger on the grII also. I've grown used to SR on my cams so I'm not sure how much I've developed bad habits (prob a lot...). Thing is, this will be my first prime advanced compact so I'm not sure how much I'm going to use it since I've got a lot of other gear that I'm not that bothered with carrying around when I'm going somewhere. Thing is, day to day I miss shots because I'm not always carrying my slingbag. And that's where a cam that is pocketable comes in and why I think the GR series fits nicely. Well sounds like I've talked myself into getting the grii this site is EXPENSIVE!!

10-29-2018, 02:11 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Well I am extremely happy with the value of mine that cost about the equivalent of $600 a month ago, so I would say $500 is a no brainer.
10-29-2018, 03:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a great price for the GR2. it's definitely worth all that and more, so i say go for it. The lens is a gem.
10-29-2018, 08:26 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Time to buy ? and GR shutter count

QuoteQuote:
Similar to my situation - my 5 yr old GR, while still taking pics, is in need of a good cleaning and some buttons are starting to occasionally stick. I'm very interested in the new GRIII but not sure I want to wait until sometime(?) in 2019 and not sure about spending $900 to $1,000. I took delivery of my new GRii from B&H just the other day and at $499 I have no reason to look back.

A side note, I was curious as to my shutter count and found this quite easy and slick way I've copied from an Instagram post by Ned Bunnell - "Without powering up the camera, select "Movie" mode on the top mode dial. Then simultaneously press the "Playback" and "DISP" buttons. Then use the right 4-way control button to go to the second screen which shows your shutter count." Works like a charm. Thanks to you Ned if you see this.

11-26-2018, 11:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here we are a month later, and I thought the GRIII would be available by now, but it wasnt, and CR Kennedy here in Oz had a 15% off for Black Friday, so I grabbed a GRII. I think I will be happy with it.
11-26-2018, 11:31 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The 16MP GRII produces higher resolution images than my 24MP K-3II with either the da 21ltd or the da 15ltd. Its very much visible when both are downscaled to 2400px. The K-3 will only win in the center. Just a little nudge...
11-27-2018, 10:32 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
The 16MP GRII produces higher resolution images than my 24MP K-3II with either the da 21ltd or the da 15ltd. Its very much visible when both are downscaled to 2400px. The K-3 will only win in the center. Just a little nudge...
Huh, that is interesting. I was looking at the KP deal this past weekend and a DA 21 limited thinking it would be a good street and travel camera setup, but at over twice the price of he GRII, and significantly larger. Faster and more versatile, sure, but definitely not pocketable like the GRII. So, I finally got off the pot and ordered it. We’ll see when the GR3 is released if it was a wise purchase.

Last edited by bobdobbs; 11-27-2018 at 11:19 PM.
01-06-2019, 08:41 PM - 1 Like   #11

Any time is a great time to buy a GRII.
01-13-2019, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #12

Just adding my voice to the collective: after being disappointed by the GR III's redesigned controls and higher price, I've also bought a GR II. My GR I still works great (a couple hot pixels on the sensor but no dust near as I can tell), but I really don't want to have to learn a new camera. I've also ordered the GM1, GH3, and GW3 before they become scarce. Last call for an excellent camera at a low price!
01-13-2019, 12:17 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by astron Quote
Just adding my voice to the collective: after being disappointed by the GR III's redesigned controls and higher price, I've also bought a GR II. My GR I still works great (a couple hot pixels on the sensor but no dust near as I can tell), but I really don't want to have to learn a new camera. I've also ordered the GM1, GH3, and GW3 before they become scarce. Last call for an excellent camera at a low price!
LOVE my GRII. Its just brilliant.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 01-13-2019 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Found answer to question...
01-13-2019, 01:31 PM   #14
Pentaxian

For $500 there are lots of interesting options in the used market. Just saying...

The most left field one that I can think of is a Samsung NX1. Dead brand, no support but great IQ. And an EVF.
01-13-2019, 02:43 PM - 2 Likes   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
For $500 there are lots of interesting options in the used market. Just saying...

The most left field one that I can think of is a Samsung NX1. Dead brand, no support but great IQ. And an EVF.
Believe me, after being in the Pentax and Olympus systems in the past, I'm not eager to buy back into an ILC, much less a defunct one. I've tried the NX system cameras before and wasn't super impressed. My days of eclectic gear acquisition are behind me, and I'd much rather have something that's simple that I know well and love to shoot...but that still doesn't stop me from looking at weirdo cams like the Sigma Quattros every once in a while...