Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-24-2019, 09:37 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wired magazine put Ricoh GR III into Top 3 Compact Camera List

December issue of Wired Magazine put Ricoh GR III into top 3 compact Camera list.
Here is the link. Hope it is accessible:
Top 3 Compact Cameras: Panasonic, Sony, Ricoh | WIRED
I do not know if Ricoh paid something or just Wired goodwill. In any case, it is a good sign. Wired is popular among millennial and tech-savvy people.

01-24-2019, 10:15 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Woot, but it's not even out yet!!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-24-2019, 10:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Best check out Wired while it is still on the magazine stands. Parent company Conde Nast just announced that it will be going digital for all its magazines and will put them behind a paywall - Jack.
01-24-2019, 10:47 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
$10 for two years subscription

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Best check out Wired while it is still on the magazine stands. Parent company Conde Nast just announced that it will be going digital for all its magazines and will put them behind a paywall - Jack.
I used to be the Wired subscriber, then stopped for several years. Last November I saw an offer: $10 for two years digital and paper. Just got two issues so far. It changed to the best. Most stories are very interesting.

01-25-2019, 05:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is the GR III available yet? Doesn't seem to be so in Canada.
01-25-2019, 06:18 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Terrible journalism. There's no evidence this Michael Caldre has even seen one let alone be a judge of it!

01-25-2019, 06:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So essentially the GR III is still vaporware at present?

01-25-2019, 07:16 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
Much more than vaporware. Expect to see it on the streets this spring.
01-25-2019, 12:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

They probably already have a GRiii to test. That's definitely not a GRii in the photo.
01-25-2019, 12:50 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
They probably already have a GRiii to test. That's definitely not a GRii in the photo.
Nothing in the article suggests that, Wstruth, could have been written from a spec sheet, and the photo's probably a composite. Who knows where they got that image.

01-25-2019, 12:51 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
Wasn't it said elsewhere you could buy at the end of March?

01-25-2019, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #12

Honestly I found the article pretty terrible, even if it's nice to see the nod to the Ricoh. Things like "Massive 1 inch sensor" for the Sony then "squeezing a 24mp in" for the Ricoh and "bulkier with added capability" for the Panasonic without commenting on the fact that the Ricoh has an APS-C sensor while the Panasonic has a 4/3 sensor and slower lens which is probably not very well suited to astrophoto, no matter the features...

Maybe I'm being harsh but it felt like "this is what the marketing seems to say, reworded" rather than an actual informed opinion of someone who understands the tech involved or someone who's used all three at least (which would be surprising given the GRIII isn't out, but there are often pre-release review copies so not too shocking).
01-25-2019, 01:23 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Nothing in the article suggests that, Wstruth, could have been written from a spec sheet, and the photo's probably a composite. Who knows where they got that image.
We can be wishful in thinking can't we. But seriously its not unusual for manufacturers to send out units for review prior to the official release and the reviews get posted right after the official release. Maybe Ricoh has jumped on the band wagon. Pure conjecture though I admit, and given how Ricoh Imaging has marketed their wares highly unlikely.
01-25-2019, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Gentlemen, let me say couple of words regarding "terribility" of this article. Magazine page (which is probably an advertisement) is addressed neither to pro nor to advanced photo amateurs. I believe target auditory are college graduates with some tech background, who got lucky to find highly payed job in high tech companies or IT departments of traditional companies and willing to spend $1000 on some new toy. You will be surprised to know how fragmented their technical knowledge is. Whatever could be googled and read in couple of minutes they will remember, the rest they will skip. Text has to be short but cool, in that case they may pay an attention. But some of them eventually may get deep interest and be attracted to the brand. Given the fact how low is visibility of Pentax/Ricoh on the market, I look at this story positively despite of all shortcoming and even primitivity.

Last edited by jumbleview; 01-25-2019 at 07:06 PM. Reason: wording change
01-26-2019, 12:10 AM - 1 Like   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
We can be wishful in thinking can't we. But seriously its not unusual for manufacturers to send out units for review prior to the official release and the reviews get posted right after the official release. Maybe Ricoh has jumped on the band wagon. Pure conjecture though I admit, and given how Ricoh Imaging has marketed their wares highly unlikely.
You can tell when that happens from the text of an article. You can also tell when a journo is lazy and rewrites a press release.

If you click on the author, you see his other articles and he's not a photography expert, just does general consumer electronics as his beat.