Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
03-01-2019, 03:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Who's On the Pre-Order Train

Just curious how many around these small GR subforum parts have put in a pre-order for the GR III...
or are planning to... or perhaps just have it on the distant horizon in their mind.
or are you in the "i don't need that" or "wait and see" camps?

I told myself I wasn't going to pre-order. And then.... I did.

03-01-2019, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Edit: to supplement my initial answer, I've been planning to get this camera for at least two years, even though I don't have the second version. Ibis/sr is hard to say no to.
03-01-2019, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #3
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Hah, I'm definitely not pre-ordering as my old GR is still doing a marvelous job. And the jury is still out on the case of fewer physical controls. I want to see some reports by experienced GR shooters before I make up my mind on that.

But yeah, the are some serious and unambiguous improvements on the GRiii. I have no problems seeing why some can't wait
03-01-2019, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought a used GR last year. I ’m looking at either pre-ordered the new Theta and semi hard case or the 11-18. The GRIII is down the list. GR, KP and K-1 are plenty for my needs.

All of course dependent on the results of selling some excess gear in coming weeks and months.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-01-2019 at 08:19 PM.
03-01-2019, 05:22 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I would love to own the GRIII. I've wanted a GR-series camera for some time, but right now I can't justify the expenditure. In time, maybe...
03-01-2019, 07:41 PM - 1 Like   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

I would love to consider the GRIII, but I am very tempted by the new D-FA*85mm f.14. Budget constraints mean that the 85mm is likely to win....
03-01-2019, 08:14 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I am not on the preorder list. The GR3 looks to have some significant improvements, but my GR already does a good enough job for what I use it for (street photography, general walkaround).

03-02-2019, 02:00 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

I am interested but the entry ticket cost is a way too steep for my tastes ... I could shoot a heck of a lot of film for that amount. Street is great fun with film ...

Also, I have a friend with a GRII that he carries all the time and I have always wanted to borrow it for a couple of hours. Never dared to ask ... maybe if he gets a III. On verra ...
03-02-2019, 02:13 AM - 1 Like   #9

I have a 1 year old GR II so still plenty of mileage left in my model. Maybe will upgrade in 1 or 2 years...
03-02-2019, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I was saving for a GR iii, but a good deal came up on the 50-135 (also on my list) so I went with that instead. The truth really is I am waiting to see some reviews on the GR iii to make a decision. The two things I'm sure I would like about it are the larger sensor and the in-body stabilization. Most of all, I'm waiting to see how the lens performs.
03-02-2019, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes. Can't wait.
03-05-2019, 01:03 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Hah, I'm definitely not pre-ordering as my old GR is still doing a marvelous job. And the jury is still out on the case of fewer physical controls. I want to see some reports by experienced GR shooters before I make up my mind on that.

But yeah, the are some serious and unambiguous improvements on the GRiii. I have no problems seeing why some can't wait
I'll try to report back - I'm on here far less than I've been in the past but pop in now and again. I'll be parting with my GR and GRDIV in the coming weeks to finance this one though I'm not certain which of the those two I'll 'wait-and-see' with, e.g. keep around til I've handled the new III. To-date, the 2013 GR is the only camera I've ever dared to pre-order based on a hunch and haven't regretted that in any way of course. Hopefully this hunch works out as well. It's the hybrid AF that sealed the deal for me - the moment that was listed I was in.
03-06-2019, 03:16 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm in. Pre-ordered when I collected my DA*11-18/2.8 from my B&M store.

I used to carry around a Q (and later a Q-S1) with 01 prime, but the 01's FoV was a bit too strict for my liking (even on the Q-S1) and I never got around to getting another lens for it... The wider FoV of the GR and its APS-C sensor should make all the difference, so I'm really looking forward to giving my photography another boost!

Wim
03-07-2019, 09:32 AM   #14

Reposting my thoughts here:

I had hopes for the GRIII, but the following layout changes were deal-breakers:
- +/- control removed
- 'exposure comp' moved to the ISO Adjust toggle
- ISO moved to 4 way

The GRII allows a user to control all aspects of the exposure triangle + exposure with just the thumb and index finger. The new layout appears to have retained some of that, but it doesn't look as intuitive.

The new sensor will likely churn out a bit more detail, however with it being an equiv. 28mm, I don't see how 16mp was 'dated' and 24mp is 'better'. In body stabilization is neat, but was more of a gripe in movie mode...who uses the GR for video?!?

Some nice tweaks:
- improved AF (although the GRII was still leaps and bounds snappier than the Fuji X100 S/T)
- less minimum focal distance
- I think the lens itself is also improved slightly (maybe just some coatings...)
03-07-2019, 10:25 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sutherland Quote
Reposting my thoughts here:

I had hopes for the GRIII, but the following layout changes were deal-breakers:
- +/- control removed
- 'exposure comp' moved to the ISO Adjust toggle
- ISO moved to 4 way

The GRII allows a user to control all aspects of the exposure triangle + exposure with just the thumb and index finger. The new layout appears to have retained some of that, but it doesn't look as intuitive.
GRiii controls are very similar to my Q-7 controls - which are very similar to my K-30 controls.

added: I scaled the two photos so they would be the same size - not meant to show size comparison
Attached Images

Last edited by reh321; 03-07-2019 at 11:27 AM.